Capone has a few choice words for THE WORDS…most of them bad…
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
The directing debut from sometime-actor Brian Klugman and Lee Sternthal (both of whom wrote this film as well and got a story credit for TRON: LEGACY) is called THE WORDS, and it's three fairly simple stories thrown into a blender and made so much more complicated than they need to be. Somewhere in the twisted wreckage is an interesting tale of struggling writer Rory Jansen (Bradley Cooper) who is having trouble making ends meet and is forced to continually borrow money from his father (J.K. Simmons... I can see the resemblance) and can barely afford to support himself and his wife (Zoe Saldana).
But on a trip to Europe (their honeymoon, I believe), Rory stumbles upon a vintage leather briefcase that he buys. Once home, he discovers the manuscript for a short novel about two lovers during wartime Europe who are separated and heartbroken. The story is so moving, Rory types it into his computer and submits it to a publisher he works for (in the mailroom) who falls in love with it. Before long, the book is a massive bestseller and Jansen is famous... until the story's actual writer (an unnamed old man played by Jeremy Irons) approaches Jansen wondering aloud if there is a price to pay for stealing another man's story so boldly.
Sounds like a simple enough tale, right? The things is, the story I just told you is actually a work of fiction being read by an older writer named Clay Hammond (Dennis Quaid) at a public appearance. Is this his story from his younger days? Does the old man want to expose the young writer for his fraud? And what will happen when a young literature groupie (Olivia Wilde) lures Hammond to her apartment? I said that this was three stories; the third is the story of the found manuscript, which we find out is the true story of the old man as a young soldier (played by Ben Barnes) and his lady love (Nora Arnezeder). My head hurts just recapping it.
For such a mediocre film, THE WORDS certain managed to attract a stellar cast, probably because no one but Cooper had to work more than a few days on it. The faces of Ron Rifkin, Michael McKean, John Hannah and Zeljko Ivanek pop up in tiny parts somewhere in one of the three stories, but they aren't on screen long enough to improve the proceedings in any measurable way. The film has a placid, uninspired tone, especially when it comes to its visual style, which is only matched by the glassy look in many of the actors' performances, save Cooper, who absolutely thinks he's in a better movie.
Irons has a few choice hammy moments that will probably result in unintentional laughter, but there's something inherently, undeniably watchable about the man. Aside from that, THE WORDS will not move or inspire you, and good luck trying to remember what happened to whom about an hour after you're done watching it. It's not that it's difficult to follow; the problem is it's tough to care enough to remember.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:32 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
shes about brains not brawn, hence why she chose spock in NU-T.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:34 a.m. CST
Bradley Cooper stinky. Stinky like poo poo.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:36 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:31 a.m. CST
Maybe someone can fan-edit this movie and Limitless into one big giant cinematic mindfuck?
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:03 a.m. CST
In the Kidd vs. Bachelorette TB, I chided the immature taunts of a few comments there. So I'm reneging on my seriousness for a moment; the above comments about Bradley Cooper made me howl.
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:23 a.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 7:36 a.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 7:44 a.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:06 a.m. CST
Plot for LIMITLESS?
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:28 a.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:38 a.m. CST
Studios are lying scum.
Sept. 7, 2012, 10:02 a.m. CST
Screw you, Hollywood.
Sept. 7, 2012, 10:08 a.m. CST
Every time I see Bradley Cooper's name in print I instantly confuse him with Bradley Whitford. Josh Lyman FTW.
Sept. 7, 2012, 10:11 a.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 10:58 a.m. CST
Let me try to get this right: Capone says the movie is bad because he needed to keep tabs on the plot?
by albert comin
Shouldn't we be thankful that there's still some filmmakers who do not understimate the audience's intelligence?
Sept. 7, 2012, 11:10 a.m. CST
I don't get why you didn't like it. Okay it's overly complicated but you never really spell out why this is a bad thing for this film.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:01 p.m. CST
Because I thought it looked pretty interesting in the commercials/trailers.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:04 p.m. CST
Studios can take any word, or words, from any part of a review and quote it in any way they choose. They can take the one complimentary sentence from a scathing review and use it as a selling point. Hell, they can take eight words of positive sarcasm out of the middle of one sentence from a terrible review and still make it sound like a good thing.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:41 p.m. CST
At least Bradley Cooper has, "Silver Linings Playbook" on the horizon. A better escape plan than any - I hope.
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:22 p.m. CST
The premise sounds pretty good - what's the problem with the movie? It's bad because the reviewer couldn't keep a fairly simple story straight?
Give me a break.
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:23 p.m. CST
Now where have I heard that before?
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:50 p.m. CST
Sept. 7, 2012, 3:10 p.m. CST
I actually like Secret Window but this does not sound interesting at all.
Dec. 18, 2012, 1:01 p.m. CST
i understand the review,but i must say,cooper is a damn fine actor
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 478 total posts 468 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 238 total posts 238 posts
- Some Wicked Cool Stills For The Upcoming BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game!! -- 139 total posts 139 posts
- Re-Revised X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST Casting Re-Adds A Mutant!! -- 108 total posts 108 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 201 total posts 95 posts
- Who wants to see one of GODZILLA's opponents from the new film!?! (In toy form) -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- Set photos from the set of STAR WARS EPISODE VII in Abu Dhabi?! What's that big round disc they're rolling around?? -- 93 total posts 93 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 283 total posts 61 posts
- This nifty teaser for Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO hints at some freaky stuff going on in the Amazon! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 69 total posts 53 posts