Once you’re in The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day’s shop, I’ll wager you’ll do anything it asks.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Today’s image comes from a not commonly seen old Hollywood oddity called The Devil Doll, starring Lionel Barrymore and Maureen O’Sullivan and directed by Freaks and Dracula director Tod Browning.
Think of it as the creepier Mrs. Doubtfire. It’s a revenge tale as an escaped convict pretends to be an old woman running a doll store… as he exacts his revenge on those that let him wrongfully rot in prison by shrinking them 1/3 their height. You know, a totally sane and normal plot for a film.
It’s pretty good, actually. Barrymore doesn’t make a good looking woman, but that’s kind of the point. It’s just a really odd bird of a film, one of those “can’t really believe this one exists” types.
Today’s photo comes from the making of the film and features Lionel Barrymore having a smoke while in his Madame Mandilip get-up. Hope you enjoy, click to enlargen.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s pic shows the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
Never heard of it before
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:22 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:22 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:03 a.m. CST
They're warped, I know. I can't wait to show them this photo or maybe hunt down the movie itself. I always knew DOUBTFIRE wasn't as original as everyone thought.
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:04 a.m. CST
If you look at Tod Browning's work, you'll see that Devil Doll is actually him returning to the well. Dudes dressing up like chicks for nefarious purposes is kind of a running theme with that guy. Check out The Terrible Trio.
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:44 a.m. CST
I think he plays a narcoleptic headmistress of some girls school.
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:26 a.m. CST
nobody says Doubtfire is original...men in drag films are as old as film itself...you have Tootsie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the 1988 Hairspray, Some Like It Hot, The Crying Game, Alec Guiness played a woman in The Kind Hearts of Coronets in 1949...fuck Charlie Chaplin was in drag in A Busy Day in 1914...so to be having some feud with your friends over the originality of a man dressing in drag is silly...both that your friends think Doubtfire is original, and you for thinking you've found this kryptonite to their opinion, when you should already have a laundry list of films to prove your point...I'm assuming it's the man in drag thing you're on about, since the plot of The Devil Doll is NOTHING like the plot of Mrs. Doubtfire
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
The St. Trinians flicks; later to be made with, er, Rupert Everett in the role. The Tod Browning picture, "The Devil Doll" was a rarely seen flick on release; the director is to this day still uncredited from the piece. It's a really efective film, with a fantastic, creepy central performance by, Barrymore. Brownings, "Freaks" is still one the most innovative and daring films ever produced - especially within the decade of it's release, and still holds up today.
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:41 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:42 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:52 a.m. CST
That thing gave me some serious nightmares as a kid when i first saw it back in the 70's.
Sept. 3, 2012, 11:06 a.m. CST
I don't disagree with anything you've written, you're right of course. And I've referenced those films to them many times. And it's not really an arguement as much as friendly jabbing. But it is uncanny how the BTS pic today looks a lot like Robin in drag.
Sept. 3, 2012, 1:27 p.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 1:58 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
The idea of Lionel frigging Barrymore in drag is just too damn off the beam.
Sept. 3, 2012, 3:53 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Sept. 3, 2012, 5:04 p.m. CST
It works in safari, FireFox and my android browser...,what are you running?
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:29 p.m. CST
Anyone have a relative that would scratch on the wall and make trilogy of terror doll scampering noises to give you a weak heart when you were older?
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:54 p.m. CST
... and yes, I'm talking the late 70s/early 80s here, the BBC used to show double-bills of classic horror flicks on Friday nights (the only thing I was allowed to stay up late for). The Devil Doll was one of them and I always think of it as part of that 'golden age' collection. And it definitely creeped me out at that age. Must check it out again.
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 261 total posts 125 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 250 total posts 35 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 99 total posts 21 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 54 total posts 16 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 13 total posts 13 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 310 total posts 9 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 39 total posts 8 posts
- Spring Forward With Lauren Cohen & Sonequa Martin-Green On TALKING DEAD!! Data Brokers On 60 MINUTES!! The Premieres Of Fox’s COSMOS, Lohan’s LINDSAY & Carolla’s CATCH A CONTRATOR!! The Returns Of BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, ONCE & REVENGE!! New GIRLS, ISLAND, AMAZING, SHAMELESS, FIANCE, WIVES, AX!! KARDASHIANS & LOOKING Finales!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 7 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 7 total posts 7 posts
- Jeremy Returns With More Tales From The CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Set! -- 95 total posts 7 posts