Once you’re in The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day’s shop, I’ll wager you’ll do anything it asks.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Today’s image comes from a not commonly seen old Hollywood oddity called The Devil Doll, starring Lionel Barrymore and Maureen O’Sullivan and directed by Freaks and Dracula director Tod Browning.
Think of it as the creepier Mrs. Doubtfire. It’s a revenge tale as an escaped convict pretends to be an old woman running a doll store… as he exacts his revenge on those that let him wrongfully rot in prison by shrinking them 1/3 their height. You know, a totally sane and normal plot for a film.
It’s pretty good, actually. Barrymore doesn’t make a good looking woman, but that’s kind of the point. It’s just a really odd bird of a film, one of those “can’t really believe this one exists” types.
Today’s photo comes from the making of the film and features Lionel Barrymore having a smoke while in his Madame Mandilip get-up. Hope you enjoy, click to enlargen.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s pic shows the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
Never heard of it before
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:16 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:22 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:22 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:03 a.m. CST
They're warped, I know. I can't wait to show them this photo or maybe hunt down the movie itself. I always knew DOUBTFIRE wasn't as original as everyone thought.
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:04 a.m. CST
If you look at Tod Browning's work, you'll see that Devil Doll is actually him returning to the well. Dudes dressing up like chicks for nefarious purposes is kind of a running theme with that guy. Check out The Terrible Trio.
Sept. 3, 2012, 9:44 a.m. CST
I think he plays a narcoleptic headmistress of some girls school.
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:26 a.m. CST
nobody says Doubtfire is original...men in drag films are as old as film itself...you have Tootsie, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, the 1988 Hairspray, Some Like It Hot, The Crying Game, Alec Guiness played a woman in The Kind Hearts of Coronets in 1949...fuck Charlie Chaplin was in drag in A Busy Day in 1914...so to be having some feud with your friends over the originality of a man dressing in drag is silly...both that your friends think Doubtfire is original, and you for thinking you've found this kryptonite to their opinion, when you should already have a laundry list of films to prove your point...I'm assuming it's the man in drag thing you're on about, since the plot of The Devil Doll is NOTHING like the plot of Mrs. Doubtfire
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
The St. Trinians flicks; later to be made with, er, Rupert Everett in the role. The Tod Browning picture, "The Devil Doll" was a rarely seen flick on release; the director is to this day still uncredited from the piece. It's a really efective film, with a fantastic, creepy central performance by, Barrymore. Brownings, "Freaks" is still one the most innovative and daring films ever produced - especially within the decade of it's release, and still holds up today.
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:41 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:42 a.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 10:52 a.m. CST
That thing gave me some serious nightmares as a kid when i first saw it back in the 70's.
Sept. 3, 2012, 11:06 a.m. CST
I don't disagree with anything you've written, you're right of course. And I've referenced those films to them many times. And it's not really an arguement as much as friendly jabbing. But it is uncanny how the BTS pic today looks a lot like Robin in drag.
Sept. 3, 2012, 1:27 p.m. CST
Sept. 3, 2012, 1:58 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
The idea of Lionel frigging Barrymore in drag is just too damn off the beam.
Sept. 3, 2012, 3:53 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
Sept. 3, 2012, 5:04 p.m. CST
It works in safari, FireFox and my android browser...,what are you running?
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:29 p.m. CST
Anyone have a relative that would scratch on the wall and make trilogy of terror doll scampering noises to give you a weak heart when you were older?
Sept. 3, 2012, 8:54 p.m. CST
... and yes, I'm talking the late 70s/early 80s here, the BBC used to show double-bills of classic horror flicks on Friday nights (the only thing I was allowed to stay up late for). The Devil Doll was one of them and I always think of it as part of that 'golden age' collection. And it definitely creeped me out at that age. Must check it out again.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 300 total posts 144 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 103 total posts 62 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 53 total posts 16 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 101 total posts 15 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 39 total posts 13 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 11 total posts 11 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 276 total posts 6 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 287 total posts 5 posts
- Just How Conjoined Is Sarah Paulson In AHS FREAK SHOW?? See For Yourself!! -- 72 total posts 4 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts