The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day don’t like being crowded by a couple of punk road hogs clear across two states.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Today we’re spotlighting Monte Hellman’s Two-Lane Blacktop. I remember seeing this film at the original Alamo Drafthouse at around the same time I saw Easy Rider for the first time, some time in my mid to late teens. It was just when I was really starting to broaden my horizons as a film fan, which means it was about the most perfect time to see the film.
Two-Lane Blacktop is a meditative film, an experimental character piece and, perhaps most importantly, a helluva great chance for one of our best ever character actors, Warren Oates, to shine in a lead role. Today’s picture features director Monte Hellman lining up a shot. Hope you enjoy!
Thanks to Justin Starr for sending this one along.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s pic devilishly transvestitive.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 1, 2012, 4:36 a.m. CST
Are you not in the States?
Sept. 1, 2012, 4:57 a.m. CST
I'm ashamed I haven't seen this film. By the way, I just got off work an hour ago, and getting buzzed. Aaaaghhhh, the life of a Tv Master Control Operator. Good times. Actually.
Sept. 1, 2012, 5:06 a.m. CST
by Mr Soze
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:09 a.m. CST
go to bed
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:26 a.m. CST
But then I've never seen EASY RIDER, either.
Sept. 1, 2012, 7:24 a.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 9 a.m. CST
Never seen the movie. Cool pic of the big block Chevy with the high rise intake and dual 4-barrel carbs
Sept. 1, 2012, 9:08 a.m. CST
Let's check it out!
Sept. 1, 2012, 9:10 a.m. CST
Retroplex on cable plays it all the time. If you've never, do yourself a favor.
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:34 a.m. CST
by Stale Elvis
...watched American Graffiti last night. Bob Falfa/Harrison Ford drives the exact same car. Not the same make/model, but the EXACT same car. Never seen Two-Lane Blacktop though - been told good things about it. Should hunt it down.
Sept. 1, 2012, 11:42 a.m. CST
An amazing 2 disc as well. brilliant film. Monte Hellman also had a hand in Tarantino's career as well.
Sept. 1, 2012, 2 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
I'm going to continue to Spam every single talkback until someone fixes this.
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:29 p.m. CST
I have never had a problem with it on my mac in chrome, firefox, or safari... Though I just started using Chrome again and for some reason when I post it goes under the Quick Talkback Form, but it's not that big a deal...
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:35 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:42 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 3:34 p.m. CST
by albert comin
I'm having the same problem as well. It's peculiar.
Sept. 1, 2012, 5:06 p.m. CST
But now I am interested. I enjoy this column for the nostalgic factor, but because I occasionally learn about films I have not heard of before.
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:46 p.m. CST
What was this movie about? There was no tension in the race between James Taylor and that Warren Oates guy. Where was the story? Duhhhhrrrrrrrr.
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:48 p.m. CST
Maybe the next 'behind the scenes' pic could be something from 'Vanishing Point'! Keep it up, Quint. It's nice to see articles from a writer who actually knows something about--and appreciates-- classic cinema. Warren Oates kicks ass in everything!
Sept. 1, 2012, 9 p.m. CST
by Mike McCutcheon
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:02 p.m. CST
Warren's best is Cockfighter.
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:28 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
SOMEONE FIX THIS SHIT!!!
Sept. 2, 2012, 2:04 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
..means a girl doesn't maintain her smelly gassy oily 60's muff. True story.
Sept. 2, 2012, 4:11 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2012, 5:47 a.m. CST
I love me some Monte Hellman. Two-Lane Blacktop blew me away when I saw it in film school. It's a real treat for lovers of classic cinema. It's got a quiet anger and sort of existentialism to it that slow builds. It's a perfect double-feature to follow Easy Rider.
Sept. 2, 2012, 8:03 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2012, 1:43 p.m. CST
by Johnny Wrong
Is he related to Walton?
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 459 total posts 299 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 234 total posts 193 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 190 total posts 104 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 306 total posts 24 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 49 total posts 23 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 292 total posts 22 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 195 total posts 9 posts