The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day don’t like being crowded by a couple of punk road hogs clear across two states.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Today we’re spotlighting Monte Hellman’s Two-Lane Blacktop. I remember seeing this film at the original Alamo Drafthouse at around the same time I saw Easy Rider for the first time, some time in my mid to late teens. It was just when I was really starting to broaden my horizons as a film fan, which means it was about the most perfect time to see the film.
Two-Lane Blacktop is a meditative film, an experimental character piece and, perhaps most importantly, a helluva great chance for one of our best ever character actors, Warren Oates, to shine in a lead role. Today’s picture features director Monte Hellman lining up a shot. Hope you enjoy!
Thanks to Justin Starr for sending this one along.
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s pic devilishly transvestitive.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 1, 2012, 4:36 a.m. CST
Are you not in the States?
Sept. 1, 2012, 4:57 a.m. CST
I'm ashamed I haven't seen this film. By the way, I just got off work an hour ago, and getting buzzed. Aaaaghhhh, the life of a Tv Master Control Operator. Good times. Actually.
Sept. 1, 2012, 5:06 a.m. CST
by Mr Soze
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:09 a.m. CST
go to bed
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:26 a.m. CST
But then I've never seen EASY RIDER, either.
Sept. 1, 2012, 7:24 a.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 9 a.m. CST
Never seen the movie. Cool pic of the big block Chevy with the high rise intake and dual 4-barrel carbs
Sept. 1, 2012, 9:08 a.m. CST
Let's check it out!
Sept. 1, 2012, 9:10 a.m. CST
Retroplex on cable plays it all the time. If you've never, do yourself a favor.
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:34 a.m. CST
by Stale Elvis
...watched American Graffiti last night. Bob Falfa/Harrison Ford drives the exact same car. Not the same make/model, but the EXACT same car. Never seen Two-Lane Blacktop though - been told good things about it. Should hunt it down.
Sept. 1, 2012, 11:42 a.m. CST
An amazing 2 disc as well. brilliant film. Monte Hellman also had a hand in Tarantino's career as well.
Sept. 1, 2012, 2 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
I'm going to continue to Spam every single talkback until someone fixes this.
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:29 p.m. CST
I have never had a problem with it on my mac in chrome, firefox, or safari... Though I just started using Chrome again and for some reason when I post it goes under the Quick Talkback Form, but it's not that big a deal...
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:35 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 2:42 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2012, 3:34 p.m. CST
by albert comin
I'm having the same problem as well. It's peculiar.
Sept. 1, 2012, 5:06 p.m. CST
But now I am interested. I enjoy this column for the nostalgic factor, but because I occasionally learn about films I have not heard of before.
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:46 p.m. CST
What was this movie about? There was no tension in the race between James Taylor and that Warren Oates guy. Where was the story? Duhhhhrrrrrrrr.
Sept. 1, 2012, 6:48 p.m. CST
Maybe the next 'behind the scenes' pic could be something from 'Vanishing Point'! Keep it up, Quint. It's nice to see articles from a writer who actually knows something about--and appreciates-- classic cinema. Warren Oates kicks ass in everything!
Sept. 1, 2012, 9 p.m. CST
by Mike McCutcheon
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:02 p.m. CST
Warren's best is Cockfighter.
Sept. 1, 2012, 10:28 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
SOMEONE FIX THIS SHIT!!!
Sept. 2, 2012, 2:04 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
..means a girl doesn't maintain her smelly gassy oily 60's muff. True story.
Sept. 2, 2012, 4:11 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2012, 5:47 a.m. CST
I love me some Monte Hellman. Two-Lane Blacktop blew me away when I saw it in film school. It's a real treat for lovers of classic cinema. It's got a quiet anger and sort of existentialism to it that slow builds. It's a perfect double-feature to follow Easy Rider.
Sept. 2, 2012, 8:03 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2012, 1:43 p.m. CST
by Johnny Wrong
Is he related to Walton?
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 575 total posts 9 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 225 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 249 total posts 3 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 195 total posts 2 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 288 total posts 2 posts