Film4 FrightFest 2012: Britgeek reviews GRABBERS!!
In GRABBERS, a deadly army of purple, squid-like sea monsters, or quite possibly aliens, wreak havoc on a sleepy island off the Irish coast, turning the rolling hills and lush greenery a deep, chunky red. It's up to O'Shea (Richard Coyle) and his temporary partner Garda Nolan (Ruth Bradley) to stop the slimy scourge of tentacled savages and save lives.
Coyle is the only real saviour of the film as a Garda officer with a slight drinking habit, playing the role straight as an arrow. Russell Tovey, however, is the complete opposite, turning in an utterly dire performance, camp, annoying and humourless.
Pre-festival buzz hailed the film as one that needs to be seen when in a rather lubricated state, perhaps a somewhat meta connection between fact and fiction as alcohol becomes a key part of the story as it unfolds: this is an Irish film set in Ireland that enjoys playing with tired native stereotypes and spluttering derivative humour by way of gags seemingly plucked from other movies.
What GRABBERS does well, however, is capture the spirit of '80s creature features and midnight movies. Writer Kevin Lehane described the film as ALIENS meets FATHER TED. Its heart is very much in the right place with homages to the likes of JAWS and it's clearly a love letter to genre, but it's a very weak-humoured, almost safe effort with limited reach. It doesn't have a serious bone in it, yet manages to mishandle the execution of its tone and ends up becoming not a great deal more than a very silly, light-hearted but ultimately bland horror-comedy that will inject you with a desire to watch GREMLINS or CRITTERS.
Follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:12 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:30 a.m. CST
Thought it looked shit. I'm Irish, and I hate thee twee Irish movies. McDonagh brothers are the only decent Irish comedy film writers
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 1:06 p.m. CST
i hope this guy doesn't get paid for this.
Aug. 25, 2012, 3:17 p.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:32 p.m. CST
by Blarg Barfington
Of a film 90% of the sites readers haven't even fucking heard of, wouldn't have been interested in it if they did, and which Britgeek didn't even end up liking anyway.
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:36 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2012, 7:11 a.m. CST
Britgeeks review? I've seen longer and better Talkback posts!
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 1167 total posts 26 posts
- Harry dives into STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS' spoilers to reveal the truth behind the blockbuster we're seeing! -- 797 total posts 24 posts
- ‘Darkness Will Devour Them All!!’ Sunday Brings Antepenultimate GAME OF THRONES For HBO!! -- 239 total posts 21 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 452 total posts 16 posts
- Here's A Behind-The-Scenes Look At MAN OF STEEL With New Footage! Also... Is Supergirl In The Prequel Comic? -- 244 total posts 8 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1438 total posts 6 posts
Ben Affleck Tonight Hosts
SNL’s 38th Season Finale!! -- 76 total posts 4 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 543 total posts 4 posts
‘You Cannot Go On Like This!!’
Sunday Brings MAD MEN 6.8!! -- 26 total posts 4 posts
- Hey! Fat Face! Here's The New Teaser To ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES! -- 238 total posts 4 posts