Film4 FrightFest 2012: Britgeek reviews GRABBERS!!
In GRABBERS, a deadly army of purple, squid-like sea monsters, or quite possibly aliens, wreak havoc on a sleepy island off the Irish coast, turning the rolling hills and lush greenery a deep, chunky red. It's up to O'Shea (Richard Coyle) and his temporary partner Garda Nolan (Ruth Bradley) to stop the slimy scourge of tentacled savages and save lives.
Coyle is the only real saviour of the film as a Garda officer with a slight drinking habit, playing the role straight as an arrow. Russell Tovey, however, is the complete opposite, turning in an utterly dire performance, camp, annoying and humourless.
Pre-festival buzz hailed the film as one that needs to be seen when in a rather lubricated state, perhaps a somewhat meta connection between fact and fiction as alcohol becomes a key part of the story as it unfolds: this is an Irish film set in Ireland that enjoys playing with tired native stereotypes and spluttering derivative humour by way of gags seemingly plucked from other movies.
What GRABBERS does well, however, is capture the spirit of '80s creature features and midnight movies. Writer Kevin Lehane described the film as ALIENS meets FATHER TED. Its heart is very much in the right place with homages to the likes of JAWS and it's clearly a love letter to genre, but it's a very weak-humoured, almost safe effort with limited reach. It doesn't have a serious bone in it, yet manages to mishandle the execution of its tone and ends up becoming not a great deal more than a very silly, light-hearted but ultimately bland horror-comedy that will inject you with a desire to watch GREMLINS or CRITTERS.
Follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:12 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:30 a.m. CST
Thought it looked shit. I'm Irish, and I hate thee twee Irish movies. McDonagh brothers are the only decent Irish comedy film writers
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 1:06 p.m. CST
i hope this guy doesn't get paid for this.
Aug. 25, 2012, 3:17 p.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:32 p.m. CST
by Blarg Barfington
Of a film 90% of the sites readers haven't even fucking heard of, wouldn't have been interested in it if they did, and which Britgeek didn't even end up liking anyway.
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:36 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2012, 7:11 a.m. CST
Britgeeks review? I've seen longer and better Talkback posts!
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 207 total posts 203 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 152 total posts 152 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 115 total posts 115 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 109 total posts 109 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 751 total posts 37 posts
- Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling to bust some heads as Shane Black's NICE GUYS in July 2016! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- New Red-Band Trailer For ABCs OF DEATH 2 Ain't Fucking Around! -- 30 total posts 30 posts
- Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Teaming Up with YouTube for Halloween Short Films Project! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts