Film4 FrightFest 2012: Britgeek reviews GRABBERS!!
In GRABBERS, a deadly army of purple, squid-like sea monsters, or quite possibly aliens, wreak havoc on a sleepy island off the Irish coast, turning the rolling hills and lush greenery a deep, chunky red. It's up to O'Shea (Richard Coyle) and his temporary partner Garda Nolan (Ruth Bradley) to stop the slimy scourge of tentacled savages and save lives.
Coyle is the only real saviour of the film as a Garda officer with a slight drinking habit, playing the role straight as an arrow. Russell Tovey, however, is the complete opposite, turning in an utterly dire performance, camp, annoying and humourless.
Pre-festival buzz hailed the film as one that needs to be seen when in a rather lubricated state, perhaps a somewhat meta connection between fact and fiction as alcohol becomes a key part of the story as it unfolds: this is an Irish film set in Ireland that enjoys playing with tired native stereotypes and spluttering derivative humour by way of gags seemingly plucked from other movies.
What GRABBERS does well, however, is capture the spirit of '80s creature features and midnight movies. Writer Kevin Lehane described the film as ALIENS meets FATHER TED. Its heart is very much in the right place with homages to the likes of JAWS and it's clearly a love letter to genre, but it's a very weak-humoured, almost safe effort with limited reach. It doesn't have a serious bone in it, yet manages to mishandle the execution of its tone and ends up becoming not a great deal more than a very silly, light-hearted but ultimately bland horror-comedy that will inject you with a desire to watch GREMLINS or CRITTERS.
Follow me on Twitter!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:12 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:30 a.m. CST
Thought it looked shit. I'm Irish, and I hate thee twee Irish movies. McDonagh brothers are the only decent Irish comedy film writers
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 1:06 p.m. CST
i hope this guy doesn't get paid for this.
Aug. 25, 2012, 3:17 p.m. CST
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:32 p.m. CST
by Blarg Barfington
Of a film 90% of the sites readers haven't even fucking heard of, wouldn't have been interested in it if they did, and which Britgeek didn't even end up liking anyway.
Aug. 25, 2012, 10:36 p.m. CST
Aug. 26, 2012, 7:11 a.m. CST
Britgeeks review? I've seen longer and better Talkback posts!
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 386 total posts 307 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 127 total posts 127 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 362 total posts 106 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 94 total posts 94 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 337 total posts 89 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 97 total posts 77 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 433 total posts 76 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 198 total posts 70 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 64 total posts 64 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 63 total posts 63 posts