Houston! Come Join Us At The End Of Summer This Weekend At Alamo Kids Club For THE SANDLOT! Plus A Freddy Krueger Triple Feature That Night!
As sports movies go, my favorite of all time is the original BAD NEWS BEARS. Its sensibilities may be a little rough now for the little ones, and that's a shame because THE BAD NEWS BEARS has so much to say about true sportsmanship, how adults see their children and vice versa, and how kids at play shouldn't be corrupted into a need to win every time. It's a classic.
Now, THE SANDLOT isn't on that movie's level. But it's still a very sweet movie about a young boy's introduction to baseball and true friendship, and a really big dog. It's also a movie about how the legend can sometimes eclipse the reality. There's great lessons to be learned in THE SANDLOT as well as THE BAD NEWS BEARS, and it's quite fitting that we at the Alamo Kids Club - myself, the great people at 8th Dimension Comics And Games, and the wonderful people at the Alamo Drafthouse Houston - chose this movie to close out the summer. We're showing it this weekend at Mason Park, and as always, it's free.
Come join us this Saturday for Kids Club, and for the older set, come back that evening because we're going back to the 1980s for a very special Graveyard Shift. We're playing a triple NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET feature, but we're starting with NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3 and playing on through THE DREAM CHILD. Dokken. Peeing dogs. Robert Englund. All in 35MM, and only $15. This Saturday starting at 7:30. Here's something to get you into the spirit:
Hope to see you all there! Thanks for continuing to make Kids Club and Graveyard Shift here in Houston such a great time.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 22, 2012, 9:03 p.m. CST
it's all mindless screaming.
Aug. 22, 2012, 10:53 p.m. CST
Aug. 22, 2012, 11:09 p.m. CST
Aug. 23, 2012, 11:21 a.m. CST
Part 2 is by far the best. It literally took balls to tell that story back then.
Aug. 23, 2012, 4:07 p.m. CST
- Check Out Spidey and Electro in the First Clip from THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2! -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 221 total posts 90 posts
- ‘Nobody’s Interested In Your Texts!!’ President Barack Obama Takes On Zach Galifianakis BETWEEN TWO FERNS!! -- 96 total posts 61 posts
- Quint has seen Gareth Edwards and Legendary's Godzilla presentation at SXSW! Full on Kaiju badassery! -- 42 total posts 42 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 99 total posts 27 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 81 total posts 22 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 92 total posts 16 posts
- Another Talented Filmmaker Joins The DOCTOR STRANGE Directin' Derby! -- 59 total posts 15 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 133 total posts 15 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 80 total posts 14 posts