HBO Greenlights To Series FAMILY TREE, From The Creator Of SPINAL TAP, WAITING FOR GUFFMAN And BEST IN SHOW!!
It looks like Fred Willard has found his next job.
HBO and BBC Two have skipped over the pilot stage and ordered direct to series “Family Tree,” an improvisational sitcom from Christopher Guest in the tradition of Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”
Guest, who co-wrote (as starred as Nigel Tufnel in) “This Is Spinal Tap” before he went on to co-write and direct the similarly improvised comedies “Waiting For Guffman,” “Best In Show,” “A Mighty Wind” and “For Your Consideration,” will write, direct and co-star in the new series.
“Family Tree” will star Chris O’Dowd (who played Kristen Wiig’s cop love interest in “Bridesmaids”) as a man trying to track down his real family.
The first season is expected to comprise about eight episodes, according to Deadline Hollywood.
This is far from Guest’s first TV project. He was a “primetime player” alongside fellow “National Lampoon Radio Hour” vets Bill Murray and Brian-Doyle Murray on ABC’s “Saturday Night Live With Howard Cosell,” appeared on “All in the Family” with Rob Reiner and “Laverne & Shirley” with Michael McKean, and, most famously, served as a writer-performer on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” during its 1984-85 season.
Find all of Deadline’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 16, 2012, 2:45 p.m. CST
Aug. 16, 2012, 3:47 p.m. CST
by Kyle DeMattio
Sucks that I don't have HBO though, so oh well
Aug. 16, 2012, 4:17 p.m. CST
in the Princess Bride. Best In Show is AWESOME!
Aug. 16, 2012, 4:18 p.m. CST
I'll check this out. Chris O'dowd is an affable chap, and funny, too...
Aug. 16, 2012, 5:07 p.m. CST
by Michael Lunney
Aug. 16, 2012, 5:10 p.m. CST
God, I love me some Christopher Guest!
Aug. 16, 2012, 5:17 p.m. CST
Seriously might have to get cable for this.
Aug. 16, 2012, 6:01 p.m. CST
But don't HBO comedies usually go to 10. Ten per season? Exactly. Does this mean it'll be better. Is it any better? Well it's one longer, isn't it. It's not 10 episodes. You see, most seasons will end at 10. You're on your season finale at 10. You've built everything up. But then where do you go? Where can you go from there? Where? I don't know. Nowhere. The season's over. Exactly. But what we do, when we need that extra push over the cliffhanger, you know what we do? Episode 11? Episode 11. One longer. Exactly. Why don't you just make episode 10 longer, and keep 10 as the number of episodes and just make that one longer. ...Our season goes up to 11.
Aug. 16, 2012, 6:28 p.m. CST
Aug. 16, 2012, 8:43 p.m. CST
Aug. 16, 2012, 10:53 p.m. CST
by Kauzi Sezso
Aug. 17, 2012, 2:08 a.m. CST
It's weird when he does an accent.
Aug. 17, 2012, 3:59 a.m. CST
Aug. 17, 2012, 7:06 a.m. CST
Aug. 17, 2012, 8:11 a.m. CST
Aug. 18, 2012, 2:20 p.m. CST
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 234 total posts 234 posts
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 283 total posts 203 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 181 total posts 181 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 139 total posts 139 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 677 total posts 120 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 118 total posts 118 posts
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Teaser Posters Portend The Arrival Of Next Week's Trailer!! -- 114 total posts 114 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 159 total posts 88 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 75 total posts 75 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 143 total posts 69 posts