Now That DAREDEVIL Isn't Happening, What's The Latest On Joe Carnahan's DEATH WISH?!
The Kidd here...
And it's onto the next one.
With Joe Carnahan allowing us to lay eyes on his sizzle reels for DAREDEVIL last night, it just cemented the fact that his take for the character isn't going to happen, unless Marvel Studios somehow decides to grow one serious pair of balls and is okay with giving him the keys to take his ultra-violent, R-rated vision for a spin.
As he told the Radio Dan Show last night as this was all developing on Twitter, they just came into the process too late and ran out of time.
So now Joe's attention moves back to DEATH WISH, which he's continued to work on this entire time. What's the latest on the project? According to Carnahan, it's coming together pretty quickly.
"I'm winding it down here, brutha. I'm winding it down... I haven't really talked about this at length, but I'm getting to the end, man. I'm extremely pleased with the way it's shaping up."
"I dont want it to be so specific of a time and a place that you just pinpoint it to 2012 or 2013, but... and again that'll certainly be a challenge... but it's also portraying L.A. as kind of a walking city, which we've never done, and to treat it with the same sprawl that New York was treated with in the first film."
With his schedule opened up right now, does that mean we'll see Carnahan get behind the cameras for DEATH WISH fairly soon?
"Ah, I dont know, brother. Thats' a good question' I do not want to get... you know, listen... I think this is a decent first draft of any script. I'm pretty rigorous about the drafts I turn in. I don't turn in something that's just so ungodly they go,"Oh, what the hell is this?!" I'm not trying to turn in this Dostoevsky, give ya a tome of thousands of pages, but its gonna be... it's a bigger, it's probably bigger than it needs to be right now, so I got a little, do a little editorializing, a little finessing in that way. Listen, man, I'm treating it like the action that's there is very realisitc and short and ugly and violent and... but it's really its characters that I'm interested in. It's really that's the exploration more than the idea of, I guess, the simplicity of violence versus the complexticy of vengence is really what that movies about."
Sounds like we're getting an extremely deep vigilante flick coming our way from Joe.
You can check out the whole interview HERE with more of Joe's thoughts on what he'd have liked to do with DAREDEVIL and some more ideas for DEATH WISH and possibly future DEATH WISHes.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:18 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:22 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:24 p.m. CST
Does that mean Daredevil will return to Marvel studios? I hope so!
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:34 p.m. CST
that was one creepy fucker in "Death Sentence"
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:34 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:52 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 12:53 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 1:20 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 1:38 p.m. CST
by Mr Nicholas
Aug. 15, 2012, 1:51 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 2:47 p.m. CST
by The Krypton Kid
Aug. 15, 2012, 3:40 p.m. CST
...it was Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond) of Lost. Seriously had his voice in my head whenever Carnahan "spoke".
Aug. 15, 2012, 3:45 p.m. CST
Looks surprisingly good. From what I gather, C. Thomas Howell is a vampire renegade detective of sorts, and gets mixed up with some Mafioso (Corey Feldman)'s girl, played by Tia Carrere. So the shit probably hits the proverbial fan. Caught a quick glimpse of Lou Diamond Phillips, too. Looks like he plays a cop whos on the trail. Googled it and the director is some guy named Paul Osterhouse Fleming. Only credit I could find was he was "key grip" during most seasons of The Hogan Family...
Aug. 15, 2012, 4:09 p.m. CST
by Mike J
Ho hum. An average film-maker being constantly plugged by a very average website. Remember a time when AICN actually broke proper film news? It was about 1907 last time I think.
Aug. 15, 2012, 4:12 p.m. CST
by Bill C.
...and I kind of hate that I want to see that. God damn you, remakemania.
Aug. 15, 2012, 4:14 p.m. CST
Aug. 15, 2012, 4:17 p.m. CST
by my liege
Aug. 15, 2012, 6:15 p.m. CST
Grown men trading super heroes like playing cards. Not that studio suits are any more intelligent than 10 year olds in the playground.
Aug. 15, 2012, 6:24 p.m. CST
by Dingleberry Jones
Oh well, I'm sure the inevitable Falling Down reboot/remake is coming anyways.
Aug. 15, 2012, 6:46 p.m. CST
by milla jovovich
except from a couple of mouth breathers on the Internet.
Aug. 15, 2012, 7:02 p.m. CST
Carnahan's had quite a run of interesting projects which have fallen through for one reason or another. Is there a particular reason for this or is he just one of the unluckiest directors in Hollywood? Would love to hear an in-depth interview with him on all those abandoned projects and what we missed.
Aug. 15, 2012, 7:57 p.m. CST
come on the first one was great and it has been a modest success on bluray and DVD. You've got ridley scott behind the project and the entire cast wanting to do another one Come on FOX make A-Team II
Aug. 15, 2012, 11:46 p.m. CST
I suspect that Joe Carnahan has it good as compared to others, such as Terry Gilliam, for instance.
Aug. 16, 2012, 8:35 a.m. CST
Blondie can go back to Florida
Aug. 16, 2012, 9:46 a.m. CST
than some loose thread to the FF. It'd be cool to see Galactus and the Silver Surfer in a Marvel cosmic movie, but it wouldn't feel right without the Fantastic Four.
Aug. 16, 2012, 12:18 p.m. CST
It's official, Hollywood is creatively bankrupt!
Aug. 16, 2012, 12:42 p.m. CST
Seconded! A Team > The Losers > Expendables 1 & 2 combined Why the fuck the studio decided they weren't going to greenlight a sequel I really don't know ... Idiots!
Aug. 16, 2012, 1:05 p.m. CST
by Darth Macchio
Just watched The Grey again last night...damn that's a great flick..great action, great drama beats, no corny bullshit or false-comic relief moments and what looks to be no overt studio control input (or the infamous "wolf-puncher" scene would have been VERY different)...this guy absolutely should get Daredevil. And anything else where a studio wants to make a smart and great action movie in the old-school vein (maybe Carnahan's done something not good but I haven't seen it yet). A-Team was great too and it really had no right to be...even that manic hitman (Smokin Aces?) movie was great if a bit spastic here and there... Give this guy the director's card and I bet he won't let anybody down. No, I'm not related to him...I just blind-purchased The Grey and loved it - put a Carnahan directed DD in the theater and I'll go see it or blind-buy the blu-ray either way...(but please no cutsey Disney nonsense or endless product placement).
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 383 total posts 17 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 22 total posts 5 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 627 total posts 4 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 97 total posts 2 posts