Four Restored Universal Classics Can Be Seen In Theatres Later This Year!!
The Kidd here...
If you've never had the pleasure of witnessing Boris Karloff in FRANKENSTEIN or THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD or Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS on the big screen, here's your chance.
All four films have been restored for Blu-ray release at different points this year (the 50th anniversary edition of MOCKINGBIRD is already available), and to celebrate Universal Pictures' 100th anniversary, NCM Fathom Events and Turner Classic Movies are bringing each to theatres for one night only.
THE BIRDS is up first on September 19, with a double feature of FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN following in October 24 and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD wrapping up the "TCM Event Series" on November 15.
Each film will start at 7:00 p.m. local time with special 2:00 p.m. matinees playing in select theatres.
You can absolutely wait to see each and every one of these from the comfort of your couch at home as they hit shelves... but there really is nothing like watching these classics as they were originally intended to be seen, so these might be opportunities you want to take advantage of as they roll around.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:44 a.m. CST
by BADBOYBROM HC
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:48 a.m. CST
Google, here I come.
Aug. 7, 2012, 3:09 a.m. CST
Just three comments here. God bless talkbackers' lack of love for good cinema.
Aug. 7, 2012, 3:19 a.m. CST
I've yet to check out a Fathom event, but they've done some great showings. I might have to bite this time.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:25 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
in theaters, it will be one of those cool things like.."in all reality physics says i should not be seeing this like this"..its gonna be great..
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:40 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:55 a.m. CST
That would be ---(strange pause) just fine .
Aug. 7, 2012, 6:55 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 6:55 a.m. CST
Amd yes, I've sadly seen the Gus Van Saint version on theaters
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:33 a.m. CST
Great choices. Can't wait to see Frankenstein and Bride on the big screen. Hopefully a list of theaters is out soon. Now if only Hammer would do this so I can see Captain Kronos on the big screen.....
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:45 a.m. CST
by Mikey Wood
...so that kills that. We never get that kind of stuff here. Probably would need to go to New York, Philly, or MAYBE Cleveland.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:34 a.m. CST
by William Foley
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:41 a.m. CST
by Lord Elric
Seeing these on the big screen is great, but my experience with upscaled Blu Ray is...not too great, unfortunately.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:13 a.m. CST
by Blu Gilliand
You can search the theaters showing the Frankenstein double feature here: http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/tcmfrankensteins.aspx?d=10/24/2012
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:16 a.m. CST
by Blu Gilliand
I got to see JAWS on the big screen for the first time earlier this year. Now I'll be able to add FRANKENSTEIN and BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN to the list. Also, a local theater is showing SHAUN OF THE DEAD the weekend before Halloween. These are all films I've seen multiple times, but having that big screen experience (with an appreciative audience) makes for something special.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:28 a.m. CST
These will be 2k but I always see someone who always says that a blu ray projected is inferior. SIMPLY not true. As long as the projector is a quality 1080P or 2k they both look basicaly the same as 1080P is 2k across. Some art houses use cheap $500 projectors to do revivals and yes it probably looks like shit. I do revivals at my local community theater using blu rays but we use a $10,000 1080P projector form a 40 ft throw on a 35 ft wide screen and it looks amazing. I just screened Close Encounters and The Omega Man and they both looked AWESOME. Its the projector that makes the difference,not the source of projection. Having said this these wil be 2k.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:43 a.m. CST
by Lord Elric
Blu Ray can look amazing when projected properly. Unfortunately, a recent attempt by a local theater showing BLADE RUNNER resulted in a dim image with a 2.35:1 image wrapped up in a 1.78:1 frame. But South, there's been a monthly showing of horror movies that, from what I hear, has looked great. Good to hear that these are 2k, though.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:48 a.m. CST
A Frankenstein double feature.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:49 a.m. CST
I didnt realize Fathom was doing these showings. Ive read that Fathom beams these via satelite and Ive heard Fathom events are 720P.
Aug. 7, 2012, 10:08 a.m. CST
by Lord Elric
Aug. 7, 2012, 10:25 a.m. CST
by Jazzy Jerk
Earlier this year, I saw Casablanca on the big screen, a film I had never seen before. It's a rare treat to have the opportunity to see such a film in the theater. The theater was packed, and no one was talking or texting, which is also a rare treat. At the end, there was thunderous applause, which absolutely floored me. For those who are worried that these films won't play in their local theaters, Fathom Events regularly shows various films (concert films more than anything else) in my local theater, and I don't live in a big city. When I saw Casablanca, they charged a couple bucks more than for a regular film, but I was happy to pay it. And I'll be happy to pay the money for these four classic films.
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:08 p.m. CST
Shockingly there are a lot of theaters showing it within a 50 mile radius of me.
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:55 p.m. CST
by Raptor Jesus
One of the best movie experiences I've ever had.
Aug. 8, 2012, 4:31 a.m. CST
These will be projected off a blu ray. Don't waste your money.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Tomorrow's THE STRAIN, The Next HOMELAND, Fox’s GOTHAM, Showtime’s THE AFFAIR, ABC’s FOREVER, CBS’ SCORPION & MADAM SECRETARY, Scott Frank’s A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES And The Latest MARVEL, DC & SNL News!! Plus The Return Of Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 190 total posts 34 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 219 total posts 26 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 67 total posts 26 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 36 total posts 25 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 68 total posts 22 posts
- Harry @ Fantastic Fest 2014: TUSK, REALITI, CUB, TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA, HIVE, MAN FROM RENO & FREE FALL! -- 15 total posts 14 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY: THEM and Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM!!! -- 26 total posts 12 posts
- The Additions of Sam Elliott and DEADWOOD’s Garret Dillahunt Suggest That The Final Season Of JUSTIFIED Will Own Us All!! -- 31 total posts 12 posts