George Nolfi Counts Down To ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT!!
The Kidd here...
I was quite surprised by how well THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU played the first time I saw it, and on subsequent viewings on cable recently, it still holds up as a quality sci-fi romance thriller with deeply religious undertones. That film got rookie director George Nolfi on my radar, and I've been curious to see what he might follow up with next.
He was in consideration for CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 for a bit before Marvel settled on Joe and Anthony Russo, but it looks like he'll be dealing with a big piece of American history regardless for his next film. The Hollywood Reporter reports that Nolfi is set to rewrite and direct ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT, based on Michael Dobbs' book One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War. The book recounts the events of the Cuban Missile Crisis hour-by-hour, and, even as someone who could never truly imagine what it must have been like to have lived through that period of history, it is scary as shit to think my existence almost never came to be as a result of the United States' close brush with nuclear war in 1962.
I wonder if Nolfi will tell the real story of what happened during those thirteen days (damn mutants), while giving a more rounded account of the confrontation from all sides, and not just from the perspective of the U.S.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:26 a.m. CST
1 minute, 2 minutes... no big difference.
Aug. 7, 2012, 3:28 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 5:27 a.m. CST
When they're done well. Anything about history and geopolitics in the 20th century, documentary like, if it's done right is catnip for me. But if it's partisan or dumbed down, fuggedaboutit.
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:14 a.m. CST
And by partisan I'm assuming left wing instead of the right, because the right is always right and and you loves dem soulja boys. Right?
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:22 a.m. CST
Haha, I mean partisan as in obviously promoting one world view or another - right and left wing get's quite difficult to use when you look at various conflicts. I prefer something balanced.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:08 a.m. CST
by Mark Little
The day of the confrontation I remember going to our high school classes. Everyone was just waiting - there were no minute by minute Twitter updates, no smartphones, etc. It was the most godawful feeling. The prevailing theory was that war with the Soviets was inevitable, just a question of when. We figured this was the day. I am still amazed that we somehow came out the other side.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:30 a.m. CST
would make a great documentary - interviews with a whole variety of people from both sides, ordinary folks, decision makers, soldiers etc about their memories from that time. Plenty of people who actually lived through that time still around. Quick, someone fund me to make the documentary :)!
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:38 a.m. CST
that was in reply to you btw. 50 year anniversary on Oct 14th, quick someone get to it!
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:03 a.m. CST
Love that film.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:43 a.m. CST
I think Thirteen Days was a good film, watched it a few times, but showed it mainly from the US / Kennedy White House point of view. Also is was apparently pretty historically inaccurate with the focus being on Kevin Costner's character who was not anywhere near as pivotal to events as was depicted. Of course you need to get a star on board to get the film made and the star want's his glory but I think there's scope for another film covering the same event.
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:09 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:28 p.m. CST
IRON MAIDEN's is FOUR MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT. But i loved to see your reference to such hallowed band. Good job, mate.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:30 p.m. CST
I goofed, sorry. But yeah, IRON MIDEN, yeah.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:04 p.m. CST
Iron Maiden soundtrack would be great, but only 80's material.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:57 p.m. CST
That totally makes up for your hatred of Prometheus... Not really. Cheers! :)
- Will Ferrell and Adam McKay to bring you MANIMAL: THE MOVIE! -- 163 total posts 22 posts
- Edgar Wright's Next Project Revealed! -- 121 total posts 13 posts
- Idris Elba to play one of Guy Ritchie's KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE! -- 339 total posts 12 posts
- "I would never order an alcoholic beverage on the bridge..." Trailer for SPACE STATION 76 has its heart firmly in place and its tongue firmly in cheek! -- 60 total posts 11 posts
- 4th Week of July 2014 PICKS & PEEKS: Werewolves, BLUE RUIN, Nordic Noir, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE + more! -- 169 total posts 11 posts
- JJ Abrams reveals a rusted out, beat up awesome looking X-Wing in new video! -- 550 total posts 10 posts
- A New & Full Length Trailer For Disney XD’s STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 60 total posts 8 posts
- New Trailer Promises the Creepiest HONEYMOON Ever! -- 24 total posts 6 posts
- A Recently Recovered Gene Roddenberry Interview Leads To A Kickstarter About The Early Days Of STAR TREK!! -- 71 total posts 5 posts
- Fox Networks Group Chairman Peter Rice: ‘I’d Love To See Another Season Of 24!!’ -- 160 total posts 5 posts