George Nolfi Counts Down To ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT!!
The Kidd here...
I was quite surprised by how well THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU played the first time I saw it, and on subsequent viewings on cable recently, it still holds up as a quality sci-fi romance thriller with deeply religious undertones. That film got rookie director George Nolfi on my radar, and I've been curious to see what he might follow up with next.
He was in consideration for CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 for a bit before Marvel settled on Joe and Anthony Russo, but it looks like he'll be dealing with a big piece of American history regardless for his next film. The Hollywood Reporter reports that Nolfi is set to rewrite and direct ONE MINUTE TO MIDNIGHT, based on Michael Dobbs' book One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War. The book recounts the events of the Cuban Missile Crisis hour-by-hour, and, even as someone who could never truly imagine what it must have been like to have lived through that period of history, it is scary as shit to think my existence almost never came to be as a result of the United States' close brush with nuclear war in 1962.
I wonder if Nolfi will tell the real story of what happened during those thirteen days (damn mutants), while giving a more rounded account of the confrontation from all sides, and not just from the perspective of the U.S.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:26 a.m. CST
1 minute, 2 minutes... no big difference.
Aug. 7, 2012, 3:28 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 5:27 a.m. CST
When they're done well. Anything about history and geopolitics in the 20th century, documentary like, if it's done right is catnip for me. But if it's partisan or dumbed down, fuggedaboutit.
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:14 a.m. CST
And by partisan I'm assuming left wing instead of the right, because the right is always right and and you loves dem soulja boys. Right?
Aug. 7, 2012, 7:22 a.m. CST
Haha, I mean partisan as in obviously promoting one world view or another - right and left wing get's quite difficult to use when you look at various conflicts. I prefer something balanced.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:08 a.m. CST
by Mark Little
The day of the confrontation I remember going to our high school classes. Everyone was just waiting - there were no minute by minute Twitter updates, no smartphones, etc. It was the most godawful feeling. The prevailing theory was that war with the Soviets was inevitable, just a question of when. We figured this was the day. I am still amazed that we somehow came out the other side.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:30 a.m. CST
would make a great documentary - interviews with a whole variety of people from both sides, ordinary folks, decision makers, soldiers etc about their memories from that time. Plenty of people who actually lived through that time still around. Quick, someone fund me to make the documentary :)!
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:38 a.m. CST
that was in reply to you btw. 50 year anniversary on Oct 14th, quick someone get to it!
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:03 a.m. CST
Love that film.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:43 a.m. CST
I think Thirteen Days was a good film, watched it a few times, but showed it mainly from the US / Kennedy White House point of view. Also is was apparently pretty historically inaccurate with the focus being on Kevin Costner's character who was not anywhere near as pivotal to events as was depicted. Of course you need to get a star on board to get the film made and the star want's his glory but I think there's scope for another film covering the same event.
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:09 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:28 p.m. CST
IRON MAIDEN's is FOUR MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT. But i loved to see your reference to such hallowed band. Good job, mate.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:30 p.m. CST
I goofed, sorry. But yeah, IRON MIDEN, yeah.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:04 p.m. CST
Iron Maiden soundtrack would be great, but only 80's material.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:57 p.m. CST
That totally makes up for your hatred of Prometheus... Not really. Cheers! :)
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 224 total posts 224 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 216 total posts 216 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 129 total posts 129 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 462 total posts 125 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 90 total posts 90 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 179 total posts 49 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 75 total posts 46 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 54 total posts 46 posts
- Amanda Seyfried to fly with PAN! -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 44 total posts 35 posts