Paramount Gives Sacha Baron Cohen A License To Spoof James Bond!!
The Kidd here...
Spy spoofs riffing on the model of James Bond have been around since... well, since the cinematic debut of James Bond... and now it looks like Sacha Baron Cohen is the latest to try his hand at pulling off a successful one.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cohen, in collaboration with Phil Johnston, is penning the script for an untitled spy spoof that would have a Bond-like agent "forced to go on the run with his long-lost brother, a moronic soccer hooligan." So a spy buddy road movie...? Interesting.
Cohen is no lock to appear in the film, and he's certainly not lining himself up to play either the spy or the brother at this point, although if the scheduling works out, that could change. I'm all for Cohen doing more writing though that doesn't necessarily require his involvement to work, as I think his brand of humor is just funny.
If you're unfamiliar with Johnston, he wrote the screenplay for CEDAR RAPIDS, starring Ed Helms and John C. Reilly, and co-wrote Alexander Payne's NEBRASKA.
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:34 a.m. CST
I mean, really, James Bond Men in Tux.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:35 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:43 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
when i think back the french guy he played in talladega nights was better than all of his movies, which were just a semi-homosexual barrier pushing spoof on being politically correct. got it sasha your smart.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:46 a.m. CST
by james glaus
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:47 a.m. CST
by Ian Masterson
Producing "The Fly" is the only great thing he's done in the last 30 years.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:52 a.m. CST
That series is far from over.
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:53 a.m. CST
by Jared Bond
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:53 a.m. CST
by Raptor Jesus
Anne Heche is cute, too.
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:01 a.m. CST
I know, but I just love Young Frankenstein so much I keep hoping he´d get his mojo back.
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:03 a.m. CST
I can see Cohen playing the evil megalomaniac supervillain though.
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:04 a.m. CST
by Balkin Flabgurter
..that.. i would consider mildly entertaining.
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:07 a.m. CST
The man is the heir apparent to the character that Peter Sellers created, and this would easily be money in the bank. So pull your thumbs out of your ass, Hollywood, and make it happen.
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:20 a.m. CST
they have "Bond spoof" pretty much covered, and you can almost watch the whole of 'Die Another Day' if you pretend it is a self-parody. other than the fact that he will be throwing in a good deal more adult orientated content that the ones i mentioned, hard to see why Sacha Baron Cohen would take such a creative step backwards to do something as obvious as this?
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:54 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 1:57 a.m. CST
In the same way that 4.00000000000000001 is just bigger than 4. We already have a proper spoof Bond in Johnny English. That SBC is going here is merely reflective of what his humour really is.... Derivative.
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:14 a.m. CST
by No Respectable Gentleman
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:19 a.m. CST
by Bop N Rumble
Forget all those so-called James Bond spoofs. OSS 117 kicks all their asses in the spoofing department.
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:46 a.m. CST
by BADBOYBROM HC
This shits already been done.
Aug. 7, 2012, 6:25 a.m. CST
by PR Deltoid
...never mind another Johnny English/Matt Helm/Derek Flint spy spoof.
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:14 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 8:20 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:01 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:05 a.m. CST
BRING BACK LESLIE NIELSEN'S CORPSE!!
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:07 a.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
And no, NeonFrisbee, no one saw The Dictator. No one with sense and a choice anyway.
Aug. 7, 2012, 9:40 a.m. CST
Funny, but no Borat. It has a running theme of pop songs sung in Arabic which is pretty amusing.
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:17 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:51 a.m. CST
Aug. 7, 2012, 12:24 p.m. CST
...Peter Sellers doing these days? Probably just lying around. We've had Bond spoofs, from "Casino Royale", "Get Smart", the Flint movies, hell, some of the Bond movies were spoofs of themselves.
Aug. 7, 2012, 2:21 p.m. CST
by Darr Furr
If an Arab were to ridicule Israelis like that...... He would not work in Hollywood again. Cohen's schtick is getting a little stale at this point...
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:19 p.m. CST
Also a spoof on spy movies. It's actually an underrated movie. Bill Murray was really good. If it was made back in the 80's with a better director, it could've been awesome. But not a bad little movie.
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:46 p.m. CST
by MISTER RUMBLES
Aug. 7, 2012, 4:51 p.m. CST
by Terry Powell
...the oss 117 films were great! And as far as the Pink Panther series goes, I would rather see Jean DuJardin get the Clouseu role.
Aug. 7, 2012, 6:58 p.m. CST
by Rob Hill
Casino Royale, people. Burt Bacharach's music, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass doing the theme. Peter Sellers, David Niven, Woody Allen, Ursula Andress! Everything else built from this. I wonder if this new film will be worthy? Crossing fingers.
Aug. 8, 2012, 1:54 a.m. CST
by jake the muss
Get Smart (movies and TV series) are also genre parodies, not to mention the video game series "No One Lives Forever".
Aug. 8, 2012, 2:10 a.m. CST
Um, excuse me, you're NEIL Connery.
Aug. 8, 2012, 2:28 a.m. CST
And you have your perfect cast, Sir James, Evelyn and Jimmy
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 111 total posts 111 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 99 total posts 99 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 89 total posts 89 posts
- Is one of these guys ready to play Dr. Victor Von Doom in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 61 total posts 61 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- Jason Sudeikis to star as the Laker lovin', disguise wearin' Irwin "Fletch" Fletcher in FLETCH WON! -- 60 total posts 60 posts
- The Rock ‘Em, Sock ‘Em Badassity Of TITANFALL Is Now Upon Us!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 340 total posts 46 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 60 total posts 38 posts