The Kidd here...
We heard awhile back that E.T. would finally be getting the Blu-ray treatment this year, and you can mark down October 9 on your calendar for when you can expect to add it to your shelves.
Today Universal announced that the film will be celebrating its 30th year anniversary with a trip to the hi-def format for the first time, complete with digitally remastered picture and 7.1 surround sound. Plus, this is the 1982 theatrical cut of the film, not the revised version without guns that Spielberg gave us for the film's 20th anniversary re-release back in 2002. A brand-new Steven Spielberg interview will also be included on the disc as well as THE E.T. JOURNALS, which features never-before-seen footage from the set of the film during production.
You get a few things that came with the last 2-disc DVD set, such as the live performance of John Williams conducting an orchestra at the 2002 premiere and "The Evolution and Creation of E.T." and "The Music of E.T." featurettes.
But it's the format upgrade you're really buying here - which looks to be going for about 24 bucks right now on the Amazon pre-sale. I know I'll be snagging my copy with the quickness, because how can you not have E.T. as a part of your home collection?
This is everything you're getting for your money (besides the film on Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy and UltraViolet):
- The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
· Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
· A Look Back: A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
· The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
· The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, throughcasting and making the film.
· The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
· The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
· Original Theatrical Trailer
· Special Olympics TV spot
· Designs, Photographs and Marketing
- E.T. Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- E.T. Designs by Carlo Rambaldi
- Spaceship Designs by Ralph McQuarrie
- Designs by Production Illustrator Ed Verreaux
- Production Photographs
- Marketing E.T.
· UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
· Digital Copy: The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners.
· pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of thedevices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.
- BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
BONUS FEATURES ON THE DVD:
· Steven Spielberg & E.T.
· Deleted Scenes
· A Look Back
· The E.T. Reunion
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Follow me on Twitter.