What Make The Critics Of TBS’ Latest: SULLIVAN & SON??
A sitcom from comedian Steve Byrne and writer-producer Rob Long (“Cheers”), “Sullivan & Son” follows a New York lawyer who decides to buy and run his dad’s bar in Pittsburgh. It stars Byrne, Dan Lauria (“The Wonder Years”), Jodi Long (“All-American Girl”), Vivian Bang, Owen Benjamin, Valerie Azlynn (“Tropic Thunder”), and SNL vets Brian Doyle-Murray (“Caddyshack”) and Christine Ebersole (“Grey Gardens”).
... Mr. Byrne is playing an Asian-American paragon: socially skilled, well behaved, relatively tall and attractive enough to have not one but two sexy love interests. Now if only he were funny. …
... "Sullivan & Son" is where everybody plays a cliché. … with pat and predictable jokes leeching whatever hope might be had from a racially diverse cast and a promising enough setup. …
... The jokes may get a solid B - no more, no less - but the populous cast is able, especially Long and Ebersole. …
... certainly more watchable than TBS's earlier summer effort, the desultory "Men at Work." … no instant TV classic, but its reinterpretation of a place where everyone knows your name is outrageous enough to bear watching.
... polished and fairly funny … I did eat up this show, and I did keep it down. And when it comes to cable sitcoms, that could be taken as praise.
The hilarity of racism. The appeal of one-dimensional characters. The delight of punchlines and plot turns that signal themselves far in advance. All that, plus a laugh track await in "Sullivan & Son," a graceless sitcom …
... such terrible slop. … Think of it as a cheerless Cheers, with a gang of regulars — including Broadway great Christine Ebersole as a good-time girl — who sit around spouting things that are supposed to be funny but aren't. Were Son merely terrible, one might forgive TBS its transgressions. But the real sin is that it's yet another TV show wasting the talents of Ebersole
... a contrived sitcom with nothing original or new to offer. It’s one of those half-hours manufactured from used material that has no reason to exist except as a vehicle for easy, predictable one-liners and hackneyed characters. …
... the show's stock assortment of characters does save time by telegraphing practically every joke. After viewing three episodes, last call couldn't come soon enough. …
... Two episodes of Sullivan & Son were like watching caricatures of characters you’d seen before (and were equally unfunny then). …
10 p.m. Thursday. TBS.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 19, 2012, 9:20 a.m. CST
I don't know for a fact that he was coked up but...
July 19, 2012, 9:34 a.m. CST
He's the guy that stole Dane Cook's essence, right?
July 19, 2012, 9:46 a.m. CST
by Fries Against
July 19, 2012, 10:23 a.m. CST
There are no original ideas left in Hollywood anyway - so just do it!
July 19, 2012, 11:06 a.m. CST
Killed it for me. They have to stop using those things. It is a tired gimmick that needs to die a horrible death.
July 19, 2012, 11:42 a.m. CST
There is a weekly show featuring Brian Doyle-Murray? That's gotta count for something, right?
July 19, 2012, 11:50 a.m. CST
July 19, 2012, 12:21 p.m. CST
Just pour the second on the first and toss a match. Ratings galore.
July 19, 2012, 3:46 p.m. CST
July 20, 2012, 2:57 p.m. CST
We're supposed to watch, so we won't be racist, right?
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 184 total posts 104 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 110 total posts 39 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 108 total posts 34 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 590 total posts 33 posts
- Jason Momoa to potentially play Doomsday in the upcoming BATMAN/SUPERMAN film!?!? -- 548 total posts 14 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 52 total posts 11 posts
- The Trailer For The Wachowskis' JUPITER ASCENDING! -- 321 total posts 11 posts
- Nordling Recaps BNAT 15! -- 199 total posts 10 posts
- A sequel to JACK REACHER is on the way! -- 203 total posts 10 posts
- Ben Whishaw to Play Freddie Mercury! Dexter Fletcher on Board to Direct! -- 97 total posts 9 posts