AICN COMICS: As Bug, Sleazy, SJ, and superhero begin their arduous trek through SDCC this year, Russ Sheath provides Part 3 of the Convention Survival Guide!!!
Hey folks, Ambush Bug here. I’m chomping at the bit for opening night of the 2012 San Diego Comic Con later today with fellow @$$holes Sleazy G, SJimbrowski, and superhero. But before I head out, I want to heed the wise words of fellow convention-goer expert, Russ Sheath!
The Convention Survival Guide: Part 3
Russ Sheath here. Welcome to day three and the final part of AICN’s Comic-Con Survival Guide. Over the previous two days we have looked at the ESSENTIAL knowledge required to help you get the most from your San Diego, or in fact ANY convention experience.
On day one we covered the knowledge and equipment required to complete your mission!
On day two we covered the know how to make your mission successful!
Today, we are going to look at Side-Missions, or to escape the analogy, what to do at conventions when you aren’t chasing down a Jim Lee hidden sketch. We will also discuss Comic-Con specifically and what to do when the sun goes down over San Diego.
I have been and always shall be….your friend.
We alluded to this yesterday but I think its worth elaborating on. Remember when you were one of two or three comic book guys in the entire school? An elite cadre of hallowed knowledge, if you will. At San Diego, you are no longer alone and even better, you will no doubt spend considerable amounts of time stood shoulder to shoulder with people JUST LIKE YOU!
How often does that happen?
I know if I met me stood in a queue, I’d love to chat, so take the time to say ‘Hi’ to those around you. When I last went to Comic-Con I travelled by myself, but purposely booked myself into a hostel, not because I’m a cheap ass, but because it’s a great way to meet people.
I met a couple of guys from Australia and a girl from New Zealand, we all spoke in accents that dumbfounded our American hosts but most of all we hung out after the convention, ate, saw movies and had a fun time. It didn’t matter that during the day a couple of us were heading to pray at the church of Marvel while the rest were off to a Twilight panel, when the convention closes for the evening San Diego is host to events, parties and 101 places to eat, drink and make merry.
Just chatting to people in queues and at booths, I was given party tickets and some freebee’s I hadn’t seen and just met some really nice folk.
You may not realise this but many of the big companies attending Comic-Con will host parties for vendors, business partners and fellow attendees. If you can get yourself on the guest list for one of the parties, some of which are so exclusive even employees cannot get on the list. Now, hanging around the Hasbro booth dressed as Snake-Eyes is unlikely to get you invited, but, its all about who you know which brings us back to chatting and getting to know folk, you never know who you might meet.
Other than parties you might also check out the local bars in and around the convention location, you are bound to bump into someone and there will be a ton of convention goers to hand with and chat to.
After the show.
San Diego in particular completely changes once Comic-Con is over, bars and restaurants become far more accessible and everything is generally more accessible as the convention crowd dissipates. It’s worth planning your trip and allowing yourself time before or after the convention to check out the city. It’s a beautiful town with plenty to do and see.
Likewise any other convention you choose to attend, check out the surrounding location before you head off home to bag and board your stash.
Sharing the experience.
Lastly, why not set up a blog for your photos and stories of the experience. Social media allows you to give almost instantaneous feedback on events using tools such as Facebook and Twitter. Show folk what a great time you had and maybe pass on your own tips and advice for convention going. Lastly, have a great convention.
You know what, I could go on and on and on, offering you MY advice for the best Comic-Con experience this week. But you know what?
Go find out for yourself, explore, talk to people, walk Artists Alley and discover an artist’s sketchbook or indi project. But most of all.....have a great time.
Happy Convention Going!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 11, 2012, 2:13 p.m. CST
July 11, 2012, 2:46 p.m. CST
RE; "hanging around the Hasbro booth dressed as Snake-Eyes is unlikely to get you invited, but, its all about who you know which brings us back to chatting and getting to know folk, you never know who you might meet. "
You're right about that since Hasbro's VP of marketing allowed me access to a major GIJoe 30th Anniversary press conference that was restricted outside the Public. However, it wasn't all good news, as they announced the cancellation of the Toyline and Comic. Never have I seen so many fanboys making a collective *GASP* *SIGH* *WTF* in one setting. anyway, it was a memorable event and plenty of cool ppl. shout-out to Kirk B. wherever you are. Yo-Muthafuckin-Joe!
July 11, 2012, 5:37 p.m. CST
......go ANY OTHER week then when the convention is in town. then you can actually enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. from pacific beach to la jolla to balboa park to the gas-lamp quarter, the best way to enjoy this city is to be out-fucking-side. not in some grimy convention hall. <P> my wife always asks me if i would want to go to comic-con and i always tell her the same thing: "honey, if and when we go back to San Diego why the FUCK, would we want to WASTE any second of any day there standing in a line with a bunch of dudes dressed as stormtroopers?" <p> at which point my wife replies: "oh yeah. right. right. "
July 12, 2012, 9:51 a.m. CST
Harsh. I'd want to do both (convention for a week, no convention another week). But still lol.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 491 total posts 344 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 466 total posts 97 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 423 total posts 72 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 184 total posts 70 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 209 total posts 33 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 30 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 67 total posts 20 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 217 total posts 19 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 94 total posts 16 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 89 total posts 8 posts