Carlton Cuse’s First Post-LOST Series Is A&E’s BATES MOTEL!!
Serial murderers continue to be all the TV rage!
Just as NBC’s “Hannibal” will examine what Dr. Lecter was up to before his unsavory ways became public knowledge, so will “Bates Motel” follow the adventures of Norman Bates before the world learned he was psycho.
A&E greenlit 10 episodes without shooting a pilot. Jason Katims protégé Kerry Ehrin (“Friday Night Lights,” “Parenthood”) will serve as writer and executive producer alongside Cuse.
This is Carlton Cuse’s first series since he ended his tenure as ABC’s “Lost” showrunner two years ago.
This fall we’re getting an eighth season of “Criminal Minds” and a seventh season of “Dexter.” Midseason brings both “Hannibal” and Fox’s serial-killer drama “The Following.”
In 1987, Universal shot a 90-minute "Bates Motel" pilot, but that was a sequel that followed Norman's asylum roommate (played by Bud Cort) after the "cured" roomie inherited the motel.
Find all of Deadline’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 2, 2012, 4:10 p.m. CST
Civil War show he was working on?! I was looking forward to that.
July 2, 2012, 4:19 p.m. CST
by Queefer Sutherland
I think Matt Bomer could play Bundy really well, with a comedic angle. They could show how misunderstood serial killers are, how they are mostly lovable and charming. They only have a problem every few months or so. Otherwise they're great people.
July 2, 2012, 4:24 p.m. CST
by Bouncy X
norman was in an institution all along and never killed anyone, it was all in his mind.
July 2, 2012, 4:29 p.m. CST
It feels like one season would be enough. If this was a British show, 4 episodes a season, could work. I just think Norman talking to his dead mother and killing a woman here and there will get old fast.
July 2, 2012, 4:51 p.m. CST
civil war show is called, Point of Honor. he's still working on it, no network has committed to picking up the show yet.
July 2, 2012, 5:03 p.m. CST
Thanks for the heads up! That showed sounded much more appealing than a Norman Bates show, and wasn't the type of show that had to live up to the hype of Lost (huge unapologetic Lost fan speaking).
July 2, 2012, 5:07 p.m. CST
July 2, 2012, 5:29 p.m. CST
just a few of the reasons hollywood sucketh so much ass
July 2, 2012, 6:04 p.m. CST
we'll see who was the real brains behind LOST after both shows start airing...whichever show sucks gets the blame for LOST's ending
July 2, 2012, 9:15 p.m. CST
July 2, 2012, 10:05 p.m. CST
I think some of these new serial killer shows need to understand that. What will this show be? Every week someone goes to his hotel and he kills them? What possible on going story will there be?
July 2, 2012, 10:16 p.m. CST
July 2, 2012, 10:18 p.m. CST
Sounds like a barrel of laughs watching some guy's mother drive him over the edge, I'll see you guys at the big premier watch party...
July 2, 2012, 10:19 p.m. CST
Go with proven property, can't be held responsible for its flopping.
July 2, 2012, 10:35 p.m. CST
by rakesh patel
All i can think of is the adventures of a transvestite Norman Bates.
July 2, 2012, 11 p.m. CST
Then I might've been interested... ah well.
July 3, 2012, 12:05 a.m. CST
For who doesn't want to see a compelling pre-Die Hard series revolving around a young Joe Takagi and his corporate rise to power in the Nakatomi Corporation? There could be cameo appearances by Argyle, a young Holly Gennaro in early job interviews...hell, even a young Al Powell walking a beat. Proves my ideas are better than these J.J. Abrams hacks.
July 3, 2012, 1:51 a.m. CST
Not THE GRUBERS, just... G R U B E RS It will be the origin of Hans Gruber and the rest of the Gruber clan as master heistmeisters. Hint: the Gruber family got their criminal start as Nazi art thieves during WWII. Of course, John McClane's grandpa is an American war hero that rubs shoulders with the Grubers during the war.
July 3, 2012, 1:54 a.m. CST
It tells the story of the early days leading up to and after the merger between Weyland Industries and the Yutani Corporation.
July 3, 2012, 1:58 a.m. CST
with the idea that the Nakatomi Corporation is bought in a hostile takeover by the Yutani Corporation in the early 21st Century.
July 3, 2012, 1:59 a.m. CST
July 3, 2012, 2 a.m. CST
July 3, 2012, 2:36 a.m. CST
July 3, 2012, 3:57 a.m. CST
You don`t need to know how `evil` became itself. it undermines the whole scariness of the character. The whole point is your not supposed to understand it. That`s what makes it threatening.
July 3, 2012, 3:58 a.m. CST
Still, I like Cuse, he was involved with Jack of All Trades and even has a cameo I believe as a soldier.
July 3, 2012, 4:55 a.m. CST
I know you're joking, but if I had millions of cash laying around I would fund your ideas and make them happen as a fantastically hilarious parody. Brilliance!
July 3, 2012, 7:33 a.m. CST
July 3, 2012, 7:56 a.m. CST
I read an interview with Cuse from like a year ago and he mentioned being in the casting and location scouting stage. Can a pilot/series fall through when they're that far into it?
July 3, 2012, 8:51 a.m. CST
July 3, 2012, 10:57 a.m. CST
imhotep that evil egyptian dude! yes, you read it hear first!
July 3, 2012, 11:52 a.m. CST
we can call it "Johnson & Johnson", following the crime-fighting antics of agents Jonhson and Johnson, with flashbacks to before they were partners: One was in Vietnam, the other was in Junior High (dickhead).
July 3, 2012, 11:54 a.m. CST
more like "Fantasy Island" than a show about a serial killer?
July 3, 2012, 8:44 p.m. CST
About the journo/photographer's origin story, leading up to him breaking his leg before the events of Rear Window. Perfect for AMC. January Jones can be the blonde girlfriend character. Maybe get Bryan Cranston for JBF Jeffries, after Breaking Bad is finished.
July 4, 2012, 10:52 a.m. CST
July 4, 2012, 10:54 a.m. CST
Back when NYPD Blue was still in production, have Bruce cameo as a NYC cop who crosses paths with Sipowicz (Dennis Franz). There doesn't have to be any dialog. A shame the NYPD Blue producers never considered doing that...perhaps it would have been too out of the realm of reality the series was in. Still, it would have been fun.
July 4, 2012, 11:10 a.m. CST
With both Hannibal & Bates Motel being prequels, will they actually be set in the 80's and 50's, respectively?
July 4, 2012, 1:03 p.m. CST
by Feral Colon
It starred Olivia Hussey and Anthony Perkins, I think.
July 4, 2012, 5:35 p.m. CST
The young Norman was played by Henry Thomas of "E.T." fame.
July 5, 2012, 12:34 a.m. CST
I think it actually sounds good?
July 5, 2012, 8:38 a.m. CST
by Arcadian Del Sol
July 5, 2012, 2:46 p.m. CST
Because he looks like Anthony Perkins...
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 27 total posts 23 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 384 total posts 12 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 423 total posts 10 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 720 total posts 6 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 6 total posts 6 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 5 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 31 total posts 2 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 569 total posts 2 posts
- "Do you understand what it's like to be a genius?!!" Dan Harmon takes his show on the road in this trailer for HARMONTOWN! -- 19 total posts 1 post