Anton Sirius Explores The Bathtub With BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 28, 2012, 11:21 p.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 12:17 a.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 1:08 a.m. CST
If you want nothing but a plot synopsis and a letter grade, try Owen Gleiberman.
June 29, 2012, 3:28 a.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 7:40 a.m. CST
This looks incredible! Filmmaker Benh Zeitlin has clearly captured a unique vision, and it’s very exciting to see an indie this original get so much praise, and a summer release date. It has won the Camera d'Or at Cannes and Grand Jury Prize for US Dramatic Competition at Sundance. Definitely seeing it this weekend.
June 29, 2012, 8:50 a.m. CST
I don't need "nothing but a plot synopsis and a letter grade," but - a one or two sentence plot synopsis would help before you jump into the review! I know this showed at Sundance, and it appears to take place in New Orleans post Katrina, but that's it. After reading your review, I still have very little idea of the plot synopsis. For example - your second paragraph, you mention the name Zeitlin - is this a character? The director? I guess I'll have to google the name or go read Owen Gleiberman to figure it out. And I'm not trying to be hyper critical, god knows I'm terrible at writing reviews myself - I've only had one review ever published myself on this site - but throw us a bone here!
June 29, 2012, 10:51 a.m. CST
That was a snafu - I had a header on the review (Beasts of the Southern Wild, directed by Behn Zeitlin) but it got trimmed off when the piece went up. That IS confusing now... I'll see if I can get it fixed. As for the plot synopsis... two things. One, on a movie like Beasts the plot is almost the least important element of the film. It's far more about tone and emotion and aesthetic, which is partially what I was trying to get across. And two, I just find a plot recap in a review silly and redundant for the most part these days. I might as well just link to the wiki page, y'know? I just don't expect this to be the first, or only, thing you've read about a movie like this. The only really valuable thing I have to contribute to the discussion is my impressions of the movie, so I tend to just cut to the chase. And on something like Beasts, a fairly messy movie in its own right, those impressions are going to be a lot more, well, impressionistic (in the painting sense) than they would be for, say, the new Spidey. I certainly could have taken that approach a bit too far in this case though, bige. Point taken.
June 29, 2012, 1:13 p.m. CST
I understand your approach now more. And quite honestly, I searched out and read a few more reviews for this film this morning, and most of them have little or no more plot synopsis than you supply! This is not a film that plays anywhere with 100 miles of me, but I'll try to check it out on when it reaches another platform. Thanks again for the response.
June 29, 2012, 3:04 p.m. CST
by Anthony Torchia
most everyone praises it like you do, I'll likely go see it great name Anton Sirius, where'd it come from? and the page bottom still says copyright 2011 :-)
June 30, 2012, 5:36 a.m. CST
by Anthony Torchia
at least, I can't find him :-(
- That rumor about Sony selling SPIDER-MAN? Don't you believe it for a second! -- 197 total posts 21 posts
- Next on the Reboot assemblyline? TIMECOP!! -- 58 total posts 14 posts
- We have some new details on the POLTERGEIST remake/reboot/sequel!! -- 164 total posts 14 posts
- The METALLICA THROUGH THE NEVER Teaser! -- 75 total posts 9 posts
- The New WOLVERINE Trailer Brings Forth More Jean Grey!! -- 221 total posts 6 posts
- So where is FAST AND FURIOUS 7 going to take place!?! -- 54 total posts 5 posts
- Yo Listen Up Here's A Story About A Little Guy That Lives In A Blue World... -- 136 total posts 4 posts
- Has STAR WARS EPISODE VII Landed Its First Non-OT Cast Member? -- 508 total posts 3 posts
- Kristin Scott Thomas Chews Up Ryan Gosling's Girlfriend In A Very Nasty Clip From ONLY GOD FORGIVES! -- 45 total posts 3 posts
Returns To 24!! -- 11 total posts 3 posts