Anton Sirius Explores The Bathtub With BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 28, 2012, 11:21 p.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 12:17 a.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 1:08 a.m. CST
If you want nothing but a plot synopsis and a letter grade, try Owen Gleiberman.
June 29, 2012, 3:28 a.m. CST
June 29, 2012, 7:40 a.m. CST
This looks incredible! Filmmaker Benh Zeitlin has clearly captured a unique vision, and it’s very exciting to see an indie this original get so much praise, and a summer release date. It has won the Camera d'Or at Cannes and Grand Jury Prize for US Dramatic Competition at Sundance. Definitely seeing it this weekend.
June 29, 2012, 8:50 a.m. CST
I don't need "nothing but a plot synopsis and a letter grade," but - a one or two sentence plot synopsis would help before you jump into the review! I know this showed at Sundance, and it appears to take place in New Orleans post Katrina, but that's it. After reading your review, I still have very little idea of the plot synopsis. For example - your second paragraph, you mention the name Zeitlin - is this a character? The director? I guess I'll have to google the name or go read Owen Gleiberman to figure it out. And I'm not trying to be hyper critical, god knows I'm terrible at writing reviews myself - I've only had one review ever published myself on this site - but throw us a bone here!
June 29, 2012, 10:51 a.m. CST
That was a snafu - I had a header on the review (Beasts of the Southern Wild, directed by Behn Zeitlin) but it got trimmed off when the piece went up. That IS confusing now... I'll see if I can get it fixed. As for the plot synopsis... two things. One, on a movie like Beasts the plot is almost the least important element of the film. It's far more about tone and emotion and aesthetic, which is partially what I was trying to get across. And two, I just find a plot recap in a review silly and redundant for the most part these days. I might as well just link to the wiki page, y'know? I just don't expect this to be the first, or only, thing you've read about a movie like this. The only really valuable thing I have to contribute to the discussion is my impressions of the movie, so I tend to just cut to the chase. And on something like Beasts, a fairly messy movie in its own right, those impressions are going to be a lot more, well, impressionistic (in the painting sense) than they would be for, say, the new Spidey. I certainly could have taken that approach a bit too far in this case though, bige. Point taken.
June 29, 2012, 1:13 p.m. CST
I understand your approach now more. And quite honestly, I searched out and read a few more reviews for this film this morning, and most of them have little or no more plot synopsis than you supply! This is not a film that plays anywhere with 100 miles of me, but I'll try to check it out on when it reaches another platform. Thanks again for the response.
June 29, 2012, 3:04 p.m. CST
by Anthony Torchia
most everyone praises it like you do, I'll likely go see it great name Anton Sirius, where'd it come from? and the page bottom still says copyright 2011 :-)
June 30, 2012, 5:36 a.m. CST
by Anthony Torchia
at least, I can't find him :-(
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 575 total posts 9 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 225 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 249 total posts 3 posts
- This Week's Saturday Shorts: Parkour, Compliments, and Getting Pooped on! -- 2 total posts 2 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 195 total posts 2 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 288 total posts 2 posts