Live in Chicago? Capone has a limited number of seats to an early screening of Sarah Polley's TAKE THIS WALTZ!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
I've always admired Canadian actor Sarah Polley in her many works over the years in everything from THE SWEET HEREAFTER to the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake, but her two features as director (2006's AWAY FROM HER and her current work TAKE THIS WALTZ) are emotional masterpieces that start out slow and easy but build to an emotional outpouring so profound that nothing can stop them from making you feel raw and drained from your soul outward. AWAY FROM HER is about a seemingly happy couple (Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen, playing it straight but still keeping a low-key sense of humor), who relationship is made shaky when the wife meets an artist in the neighborhood, and the two start what can only be described as an emotional affair (no touching, please).
At first, it seems harmless, but when feeling develop, the world has never seemed more complicated. There are times when you're going to love these characters and other times when you may despise them. But Polley (who also wrote the film) doesn't judge, and the resulting work asks questions about the "grass is always greener…" way of thinking and living. Is a little more passion worth throwing away some familiar and fun? TAKE THIS WALTZ can be a tough film to watch, but if you do, prepare yourself for some of the best performances you'll see all year in one of the most honest and open films about the changing nature of relationships. And if you think you're up for the challenge, I've got a handful of reserved seats for Chicago-area Ain't It Cool News readers.
The TAKE THIS WALTZ screening takes place this Thursday, June 28 at 7:30pm at a theater in Chicago (the location of the screening will only be revealed to winners). Here's how to win…
Send me an email at WaltzChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "New Things Get Old" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your Full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (winners may bring ONE GUEST, but guests' names are not required), and the answer to the following question (read carefully): "What was the last movie that made you cry, and why?" Keep your responses BRIEF--limit it to 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). People with the most interesting and original answers win. And if you tell me you've never cried in movies, don't even enter. This movie ain't for you. Winners will be notified very soon.
Although this is not an exclusive AICN event, winners' seats will be held until 15 minutes before showtime (7:15pm), at which time any empty seats will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to Magnolia Pictures for giving us this screening.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 26, 2012, 12:49 a.m. CST
Despite Julie Christie on her A-Game, AWAY FROM HER's plodding *dramatics* were as engaging as watching pond scum form.
June 26, 2012, 5 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 5:01 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 5:55 a.m. CST
by Bouncy X
she's isn't super hot or amazingly gorgeous but there's just something about her that makes me want her. i think its that girl next door thing, as in she's not someone you necessarily notice but you know you wouldnt regret a thing if she gave you one night. and that was my pervy comment for the day, i thank you very much. :)
June 26, 2012, 7:18 a.m. CST
by Spandau Belly
Seriously yo, Prozac needs to call her.
June 26, 2012, 8:45 a.m. CST
unfortunately like so many others, she waited til her body went to crap before doing a nude scene. she should've done this 10 years ago.
June 26, 2012, 9:51 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 12:21 p.m. CST
Now i have double the intimacy issues. Thanks Sarah!
June 26, 2012, 2:22 p.m. CST
This is another Sarah Polley movie. ...Which means the female characters treat men like shit and get romanizised for it. Wanna know what TAKE THIS WALTZ is about? Its about Williams' character meeting a guy, wrestling with whether or not she should fuck him, then she fucks him. Rogen plays her "nice-guy" husband who literally cooks chicken everyday (Get it?? ...Boring nice-guy ...CHICKEN???). He totally accepts her at the end. Its the typical "Woman Treats Decent Guy Like Shit But is Still Portrayed as Being Strong" stuff we've been getting for awhile now, not just in mainstream movies (CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE) but, independent ones as well (THE FUTURE). Of course, the guys ALWAYS take back the women and actually go out of their way to APOLOGIZE for being who they are, because, like, its boring for her. I guess this is the "Treat Men Like Shit" age of flim-making.
June 26, 2012, 4:37 p.m. CST
The film goes out of it's way to point out that Michelle williams character is with the wrong person. It also goes out of it's way to show that Seth Rogan's character is a loving (and loved), smart, sensitive person. This isn't a hateful film, and I find it weird that you have such a strong reaction to it. It did however make me think long and hard about who I meet and date, and why.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 700 total posts 77 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 409 total posts 43 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 363 total posts 28 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 44 total posts 27 posts
- A New Clip From STAR WARS REBELS!! -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 22 total posts 22 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 211 total posts 21 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 366 total posts 19 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 21 total posts 13 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 30 total posts 9 posts