Live in Chicago? Capone has a limited number of seats to an early screening of Sarah Polley's TAKE THIS WALTZ!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
I've always admired Canadian actor Sarah Polley in her many works over the years in everything from THE SWEET HEREAFTER to the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake, but her two features as director (2006's AWAY FROM HER and her current work TAKE THIS WALTZ) are emotional masterpieces that start out slow and easy but build to an emotional outpouring so profound that nothing can stop them from making you feel raw and drained from your soul outward. AWAY FROM HER is about a seemingly happy couple (Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen, playing it straight but still keeping a low-key sense of humor), who relationship is made shaky when the wife meets an artist in the neighborhood, and the two start what can only be described as an emotional affair (no touching, please).
At first, it seems harmless, but when feeling develop, the world has never seemed more complicated. There are times when you're going to love these characters and other times when you may despise them. But Polley (who also wrote the film) doesn't judge, and the resulting work asks questions about the "grass is always greener…" way of thinking and living. Is a little more passion worth throwing away some familiar and fun? TAKE THIS WALTZ can be a tough film to watch, but if you do, prepare yourself for some of the best performances you'll see all year in one of the most honest and open films about the changing nature of relationships. And if you think you're up for the challenge, I've got a handful of reserved seats for Chicago-area Ain't It Cool News readers.
The TAKE THIS WALTZ screening takes place this Thursday, June 28 at 7:30pm at a theater in Chicago (the location of the screening will only be revealed to winners). Here's how to win…
Send me an email at WaltzChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "New Things Get Old" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your Full Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (winners may bring ONE GUEST, but guests' names are not required), and the answer to the following question (read carefully): "What was the last movie that made you cry, and why?" Keep your responses BRIEF--limit it to 75 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). People with the most interesting and original answers win. And if you tell me you've never cried in movies, don't even enter. This movie ain't for you. Winners will be notified very soon.
Although this is not an exclusive AICN event, winners' seats will be held until 15 minutes before showtime (7:15pm), at which time any empty seats will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to Magnolia Pictures for giving us this screening.
-- Steve Prokopy
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 26, 2012, 12:49 a.m. CST
Despite Julie Christie on her A-Game, AWAY FROM HER's plodding *dramatics* were as engaging as watching pond scum form.
June 26, 2012, 5 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 5:01 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 5:55 a.m. CST
by Bouncy X
she's isn't super hot or amazingly gorgeous but there's just something about her that makes me want her. i think its that girl next door thing, as in she's not someone you necessarily notice but you know you wouldnt regret a thing if she gave you one night. and that was my pervy comment for the day, i thank you very much. :)
June 26, 2012, 7:18 a.m. CST
by Spandau Belly
Seriously yo, Prozac needs to call her.
June 26, 2012, 8:45 a.m. CST
unfortunately like so many others, she waited til her body went to crap before doing a nude scene. she should've done this 10 years ago.
June 26, 2012, 9:51 a.m. CST
June 26, 2012, 12:21 p.m. CST
Now i have double the intimacy issues. Thanks Sarah!
June 26, 2012, 2:22 p.m. CST
This is another Sarah Polley movie. ...Which means the female characters treat men like shit and get romanizised for it. Wanna know what TAKE THIS WALTZ is about? Its about Williams' character meeting a guy, wrestling with whether or not she should fuck him, then she fucks him. Rogen plays her "nice-guy" husband who literally cooks chicken everyday (Get it?? ...Boring nice-guy ...CHICKEN???). He totally accepts her at the end. Its the typical "Woman Treats Decent Guy Like Shit But is Still Portrayed as Being Strong" stuff we've been getting for awhile now, not just in mainstream movies (CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE) but, independent ones as well (THE FUTURE). Of course, the guys ALWAYS take back the women and actually go out of their way to APOLOGIZE for being who they are, because, like, its boring for her. I guess this is the "Treat Men Like Shit" age of flim-making.
June 26, 2012, 4:37 p.m. CST
The film goes out of it's way to point out that Michelle williams character is with the wrong person. It also goes out of it's way to show that Seth Rogan's character is a loving (and loved), smart, sensitive person. This isn't a hateful film, and I find it weird that you have such a strong reaction to it. It did however make me think long and hard about who I meet and date, and why.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 491 total posts 344 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 456 total posts 87 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 181 total posts 67 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 415 total posts 64 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 204 total posts 28 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 65 total posts 18 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 214 total posts 16 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 93 total posts 15 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 89 total posts 8 posts