Alexander Payne Summons Bruce Dern And Will Forte To NEBRASKA!
First, the bummer: Alexander Payne's efforts to lure Gene Hackman out of retirement have failed. The legendary actor (who recently shrugged off a minor case of getting hit by a car) will not star in Payne's NEBRASKA, the filmmaker's low-budget, black-and-white follow-up to THE DESCENDANTS.
But Bruce Dern very well might. And it's possible he'll be joined by Will Forte. That's the kind of Plan B I can get behind.
NEBRASKA is about an alcoholic grump who believes he's won a sweepstakes, and hits the road with his unsuccessful son to claim the prize. Normally, there'd be no way a studio like Paramount would spend a dime on a movie starring Dern and Forte, but after THE DESCENDANTS made $82 million domestic and won a shitload of awards, they might be inclined to take this very slight risk. I hope they do. It's been far too long since someone gave Dern a nice, meaty role. Sure, I dig his indelible supporting turns in AFTER DARK, MY SWEET; MONSTER and countless Joe Dante films over the years, but I'd really love to see someone give him space to create another Freeman Lowell. And the idea of pairing him with Will Forte - who's no slouch when it comes to portraying eccentrics - is just inspired. I need to see what happens when you put these two wild cards together.
This feels like it could be something very special. Roll the dice, Paramount. Do it for Dernsy.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 15, 2012, 5:12 p.m. CST
by ajit maholtra
May 15, 2012, 5:24 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
How he didn't win an Oscar for THE 'BURBS is beyond me.
May 15, 2012, 5:25 p.m. CST
This really does sound cool. Alexander Payne always brings good, relatable stuff to the table and it would be awesome to see him work with some more left-of-center actors (sorry, George Clooney). I'd love to see how he uses Will Forte! It's funny, whenever I read a description of his movies before they come out they always sound kind of trite and obvious (Two friends go on a wild, pre-marriage road trip... A man learns secrets about his wife after she goes into a coma, etc...), but then I see them and that simplicity of plot is a huge part of what makes them great, giving other things so much room to breathe. I look forward to many more movies from this guy.
May 15, 2012, 5:35 p.m. CST
The Cowboys, Silent Running, Support your local Sheriff. He was awesome in all of them.
May 15, 2012, 5:47 p.m. CST
Im probably one of the few that thought he should have kicked Jane Fonda's ass and sent Voight flying down the street on his gurney in Coming Home. I mean the dude gets sent to a shitty war and comes back to find out his wife has been screwing around and hes the bad guy?? He was soo good in Silent Running and even in small parts Ive thought he was great, he has this strange Chicago-ish accent that is pretty cool. Ill go see anything he is in that isnt schlock stuff.
May 15, 2012, 7:05 p.m. CST
May 15, 2012, 8:27 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
May 16, 2012, 8:51 a.m. CST
is one of my favourite films. Nicholson playing against type and Dern giving a great performance. Another reason to love 70's cinema.
May 16, 2012, 11 a.m. CST
May 16, 2012, 11:45 a.m. CST
by Monnie Knapp
And he would definitely be allowed to go all out under Payne's direction. I am a huge Hackman fan (of course) but this sounds great.
May 16, 2012, 11:54 a.m. CST
Sideways was an overhpyed dredge.
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 138 total posts 86 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 164 total posts 57 posts
- The first SAW returns to theaters this Halloween! -- 73 total posts 21 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 74 total posts 21 posts
- Two Clips From DOCTOR WHO S08E02: ‘Into the Dalek’!! -- 40 total posts 18 posts
- Superman & Lois Lane get wet together!!! BATMAN VS SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE!!! -- 354 total posts 18 posts
- Character posters for Liam Hemsworth, Natalie Dormer, and more of the resistance from HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY! -- 66 total posts 13 posts
- Capone examines how THE NOVEMBER MAN takes the weakest James Bond and makes him a killer spy!!! -- 249 total posts 12 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 280 total posts 12 posts
- Our first look at the main character from Pixar's INSIDE OUT! -- 65 total posts 12 posts