Alexander Payne Summons Bruce Dern And Will Forte To NEBRASKA!
First, the bummer: Alexander Payne's efforts to lure Gene Hackman out of retirement have failed. The legendary actor (who recently shrugged off a minor case of getting hit by a car) will not star in Payne's NEBRASKA, the filmmaker's low-budget, black-and-white follow-up to THE DESCENDANTS.
But Bruce Dern very well might. And it's possible he'll be joined by Will Forte. That's the kind of Plan B I can get behind.
NEBRASKA is about an alcoholic grump who believes he's won a sweepstakes, and hits the road with his unsuccessful son to claim the prize. Normally, there'd be no way a studio like Paramount would spend a dime on a movie starring Dern and Forte, but after THE DESCENDANTS made $82 million domestic and won a shitload of awards, they might be inclined to take this very slight risk. I hope they do. It's been far too long since someone gave Dern a nice, meaty role. Sure, I dig his indelible supporting turns in AFTER DARK, MY SWEET; MONSTER and countless Joe Dante films over the years, but I'd really love to see someone give him space to create another Freeman Lowell. And the idea of pairing him with Will Forte - who's no slouch when it comes to portraying eccentrics - is just inspired. I need to see what happens when you put these two wild cards together.
This feels like it could be something very special. Roll the dice, Paramount. Do it for Dernsy.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 15, 2012, 5:12 p.m. CST
by ajit maholtra
May 15, 2012, 5:24 p.m. CST
by Stifler's Mom
How he didn't win an Oscar for THE 'BURBS is beyond me.
May 15, 2012, 5:25 p.m. CST
This really does sound cool. Alexander Payne always brings good, relatable stuff to the table and it would be awesome to see him work with some more left-of-center actors (sorry, George Clooney). I'd love to see how he uses Will Forte! It's funny, whenever I read a description of his movies before they come out they always sound kind of trite and obvious (Two friends go on a wild, pre-marriage road trip... A man learns secrets about his wife after she goes into a coma, etc...), but then I see them and that simplicity of plot is a huge part of what makes them great, giving other things so much room to breathe. I look forward to many more movies from this guy.
May 15, 2012, 5:35 p.m. CST
The Cowboys, Silent Running, Support your local Sheriff. He was awesome in all of them.
May 15, 2012, 5:47 p.m. CST
Im probably one of the few that thought he should have kicked Jane Fonda's ass and sent Voight flying down the street on his gurney in Coming Home. I mean the dude gets sent to a shitty war and comes back to find out his wife has been screwing around and hes the bad guy?? He was soo good in Silent Running and even in small parts Ive thought he was great, he has this strange Chicago-ish accent that is pretty cool. Ill go see anything he is in that isnt schlock stuff.
May 15, 2012, 7:05 p.m. CST
May 15, 2012, 8:27 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
May 16, 2012, 8:51 a.m. CST
is one of my favourite films. Nicholson playing against type and Dern giving a great performance. Another reason to love 70's cinema.
May 16, 2012, 11 a.m. CST
May 16, 2012, 11:45 a.m. CST
by Monnie Knapp
And he would definitely be allowed to go all out under Payne's direction. I am a huge Hackman fan (of course) but this sounds great.
May 16, 2012, 11:54 a.m. CST
Sideways was an overhpyed dredge.
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 377 total posts 121 posts
- BBCA Brings Forth New Images From 'The Time of the Doctor' - Matt Smith's Final Episode Of DOCTOR WHO!! -- 67 total posts 67 posts
- Peter Jackson Says Hobbitses Stalled His TINTIN Sequel - But... -- 59 total posts 59 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 86 total posts 56 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 248 total posts 55 posts
- Here's A Motion Comic Set Up For I, FRANKENSTEIN!! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 93 total posts 47 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 133 total posts 38 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 65 total posts 37 posts
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Teaser Posters Portend The Arrival Of Next Week's Trailer!! -- 172 total posts 36 posts