Behold The Cover Of Titan Books' Forthcoming Olly Moss Book SILHOUETTES FROM POPULAR CULTURE!!
Later this year, the awesome folks over at Titan Books will bring us a collection of art from the inimitable Olly Moss. If you're not familiar with his name, chances are you've come across his work at one point or another - samples of which can be seen at his official website (HERE).
Titan sent along a preview of the publication's cover. More specifically, this is a prototype - the final version will be bound in full cloth, featuring gold foiling and a paper label inset of the silhouette on the cover.
The cover appears below this release from Titan, which offers a bit more detail about the title.
Titan Books to publish the first book collecting striking and playful art from influential pop culture artist
Born in the UK in 1987, Olly Moss has quickly become “one of the most in demand and influential pop culture artists in the world today” (Slashfilm). Titan Books are delighted to announce the acquisition of worldwide rights to publish a lavish hardback collection of Moss’s sought-after series depicting popular characters from films, television and video games in beautifully crafted Victorian-style silhouette portraits.
Olly Moss’s clients have included Nike, Apple, Lucasfilm, Sony Entertainment, Paramount, The New York Times and Time Magazine. His projects vary from posters for classic and contemporary films (including Star Wars and, most recently, The Avengers), to art for bestselling games such as Resistance 3, and designs for Levi’s and Urban Outfitters.
Silhouettes From Popular Culture collects Moss’s acclaimed ‘Paper Cuts’ series exhibited at the sold-out solo show at LA’s famous pop-culture Gallery 1988. The book will have a foreword written by Duncan Jones (director of Source Code and Moon) and will be published in a gorgeous gift volume in October.
Praise for Olly Moss
“His minimalist musings on movie and pop-culture themes are always things of beauty.” Empire
“His stuff sells out immediately, and is just plain cool.” Ain’t It Cool News
“Bold graphics, serious inspiration and a wry sense of humor.” New York Times
“When people think of a “pop idol” they generally think of someone who is young, talented, had a quick rise to fame and the kind of devoted loyal fan base who’d wait 24 hours on the street to see them. By those standards, and many more, U.K. based artist Olly Moss is now a pop idol.” Slashfilm
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 14, 2012, 10:20 p.m. CST
Olly was easy to pick out in the crowded Alamo lobby when he was here with makeup giant Rick Baker for a screening of "AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON." He had created the poster for the event for Mondo. Everyone was crowded around Baker (easily recognizable), or in line to get his signature on the poster. Olly's was already on each poster given to the film attendees. Standing to the side talking to just a couple of Alamo staffers I spotted a young man very British in grooming & dress. I approached... "Are you the poster artist?" He responded in the affirmative. "I've got this sketch book I've had artists draw in since 1974, its got Frank Kozik, Shepard Faire, Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton... Would you do me something in it?" Next thing I know, I've got a multi colored pin & ink "Boba Fett" in my book... NICE GUY !!! Make that, A GREAT GUY !!!
May 14, 2012, 10:27 p.m. CST
It's framed and hanging on my wall. Cost me a pretty penny. But it was worth every one.
May 14, 2012, 10:42 p.m. CST
by Nick Hansen
Missed out on the initial sale, won't tell you how much I ended up paying for it... but it's one of my prize possessions..
May 14, 2012, 10:59 p.m. CST
I like that story. Thanks for sharing it.
May 14, 2012, 11:21 p.m. CST
Met him on several occasions. Very down to earth guy and always willing to chat it up about movies, video games, etc. I was fortunate enough (fortunate being waiting in line for 22 hours) to procure the Harrison Ford 3 piece at the Paper Cuts Show. Still the crown jewels of my art collection.
May 15, 2012, 1:35 a.m. CST
May 15, 2012, 4:13 a.m. CST
by Mitch Ansaon Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacesick/sets/72157614482499746/detail/ http://fontfeed.com/archives/fake-i-can-read-movies-book-covers/
May 15, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
Looking forward to getting this. Now, can we have a Tyler Stout book, as well, please?
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 356 total posts 329 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 65 total posts 65 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 178 total posts 49 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 48 total posts 48 posts
- TERMINATOR: GENESIS to be a sequel, reboot, and prequel all at the same time!?! -- 487 total posts 33 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 284 total posts 31 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts
- Nordling's Day One Of SXSW 2014 - THE DESERT And PREMATURE! -- 25 total posts 18 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 43 total posts 15 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 66 total posts 12 posts