Behold The Cover Of Titan Books' Forthcoming Olly Moss Book SILHOUETTES FROM POPULAR CULTURE!!
Later this year, the awesome folks over at Titan Books will bring us a collection of art from the inimitable Olly Moss. If you're not familiar with his name, chances are you've come across his work at one point or another - samples of which can be seen at his official website (HERE).
Titan sent along a preview of the publication's cover. More specifically, this is a prototype - the final version will be bound in full cloth, featuring gold foiling and a paper label inset of the silhouette on the cover.
The cover appears below this release from Titan, which offers a bit more detail about the title.
Titan Books to publish the first book collecting striking and playful art from influential pop culture artist
Born in the UK in 1987, Olly Moss has quickly become “one of the most in demand and influential pop culture artists in the world today” (Slashfilm). Titan Books are delighted to announce the acquisition of worldwide rights to publish a lavish hardback collection of Moss’s sought-after series depicting popular characters from films, television and video games in beautifully crafted Victorian-style silhouette portraits.
Olly Moss’s clients have included Nike, Apple, Lucasfilm, Sony Entertainment, Paramount, The New York Times and Time Magazine. His projects vary from posters for classic and contemporary films (including Star Wars and, most recently, The Avengers), to art for bestselling games such as Resistance 3, and designs for Levi’s and Urban Outfitters.
Silhouettes From Popular Culture collects Moss’s acclaimed ‘Paper Cuts’ series exhibited at the sold-out solo show at LA’s famous pop-culture Gallery 1988. The book will have a foreword written by Duncan Jones (director of Source Code and Moon) and will be published in a gorgeous gift volume in October.
Praise for Olly Moss
“His minimalist musings on movie and pop-culture themes are always things of beauty.” Empire
“His stuff sells out immediately, and is just plain cool.” Ain’t It Cool News
“Bold graphics, serious inspiration and a wry sense of humor.” New York Times
“When people think of a “pop idol” they generally think of someone who is young, talented, had a quick rise to fame and the kind of devoted loyal fan base who’d wait 24 hours on the street to see them. By those standards, and many more, U.K. based artist Olly Moss is now a pop idol.” Slashfilm
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 14, 2012, 10:20 p.m. CST
Olly was easy to pick out in the crowded Alamo lobby when he was here with makeup giant Rick Baker for a screening of "AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON." He had created the poster for the event for Mondo. Everyone was crowded around Baker (easily recognizable), or in line to get his signature on the poster. Olly's was already on each poster given to the film attendees. Standing to the side talking to just a couple of Alamo staffers I spotted a young man very British in grooming & dress. I approached... "Are you the poster artist?" He responded in the affirmative. "I've got this sketch book I've had artists draw in since 1974, its got Frank Kozik, Shepard Faire, Robert Crumb, Gilbert Shelton... Would you do me something in it?" Next thing I know, I've got a multi colored pin & ink "Boba Fett" in my book... NICE GUY !!! Make that, A GREAT GUY !!!
May 14, 2012, 10:27 p.m. CST
It's framed and hanging on my wall. Cost me a pretty penny. But it was worth every one.
May 14, 2012, 10:42 p.m. CST
by Nick Hansen
Missed out on the initial sale, won't tell you how much I ended up paying for it... but it's one of my prize possessions..
May 14, 2012, 10:59 p.m. CST
I like that story. Thanks for sharing it.
May 14, 2012, 11:21 p.m. CST
Met him on several occasions. Very down to earth guy and always willing to chat it up about movies, video games, etc. I was fortunate enough (fortunate being waiting in line for 22 hours) to procure the Harrison Ford 3 piece at the Paper Cuts Show. Still the crown jewels of my art collection.
May 15, 2012, 1:35 a.m. CST
May 15, 2012, 4:13 a.m. CST
by Mitch Ansaon Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacesick/sets/72157614482499746/detail/ http://fontfeed.com/archives/fake-i-can-read-movies-book-covers/
May 15, 2012, 10:35 a.m. CST
Looking forward to getting this. Now, can we have a Tyler Stout book, as well, please?
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 132 total posts 53 posts
- Today's STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Status Report: Casting "Almost Complete", Second Unit Shooting Underway! -- 272 total posts 16 posts
- IT'S A SMALL WORLD: THE MOVIE directed by Jon Turteltaub is a real thing Disney wants to make! -- 34 total posts 14 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 261 total posts 13 posts
- A thief will elude capture using interstellar teleportation in Doug Liman's RAILHEAD! -- 20 total posts 10 posts
- ‘So Who Wants To Go First??’ Amy Acker Is The Cellist In Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ELSEWHERE & ER On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! New AWKWARD, SWAP, BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, TOSH, GLEE, FIRE, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL, FARGO, FISHER & VOICE!! CONTAINER Finale!! Don Rickles On KIMMEL!! Natalie Dormer On SETH!! Stephen Colbert On LETTERMAN!! Elizabeth Warren On THE DAILY SHOW!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 138 total posts 10 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 118 total posts 7 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 29 total posts 7 posts
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's THE NEST is now set to take on Luke Skywalker and friends in December 2015! -- 28 total posts 6 posts
- Jessica Chastain to play Marilyn Monroe for Andrew Dominik in BLONDE! -- 43 total posts 6 posts