Tonight’s Paul Rudd-Enhanced PARKS AND RECREATION, Written And Directed By Amy Poehler, Is One Of The Funniest Things He’s Seen All Year!!
Amy Poehler, who wrote the “Parks and Recreation” episodes “Telethon” and “The Fight,” writes and makes her directorial debut on tonight’s hilarious “The Debate.” More in the text invisible.
* April tonight provides a comprehensive list of things she cares about.
* We learn tonight Andy shares my love of “Road House.”
* If you watched the clips above, you may believe Chris is making another run at Ann tonight, and you would believe correctly. If you think Tom does not take this well? Right again.
* Two familiar broadcast personalities, useless halfwit Perd Hapley and Knope-loathing Joan Callamezzo, return to moderate the big debate.
* The funniest thing about the episode are the fringe candidates Leslie must debate in addition to Paul Rudd’s character, Romneyesque candy heir Bobby Newport. There’s a gun nut and an animal rights activist in the hunt, but the funniest of Leslie’s opponents is Brandi Maxxxx, Leslie’s porn-star doppleganger. Leslie’s non-verbal efforts to distinguish herself from Maxxxx are a riot and must be witnessed.
* Dialogue highlight: “By the looks of this guy, this is not consensual sex we’re talking about.”
* How does it end, spoiler-boy? “Things do not go well!!”
9:30 p.m. Thursday. NBC.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
April 26, 2012, 8:42 a.m. CST
Never heard of her, but if she's anything like Amy Poehler, she must be very funny. Also, can you cut it out with the invisible text? Isn't just saying at the outset that spoilers are below enough? Highlighting invisotext is a bitch on iPhones and iPads.
April 26, 2012, 8:42 a.m. CST
Rudd is solid when he is in the right movie and has good people around him. Looking forward to this almost more than the Law & Order Community.
April 26, 2012, 8:51 a.m. CST
What the fuck? How is Rudd's character "Romneyesque?" They are both white? That is some lazy, lazy tired shit.
April 26, 2012, 8:52 a.m. CST
Thanks God for Canadian TV and bittorrent
April 26, 2012, 9:19 a.m. CST
because when checking over the new torrents on EZTV the other night I was surprised when I saw what appeared to be a new P&R ep, so I downloaded it as I do all of them and watched it (yes it's pretty sweet) only found out yesterday it didn't air in the states.
April 26, 2012, 9:20 a.m. CST
April 26, 2012, 9:24 a.m. CST
This episode has some truly great moments (not the least of which Andy acting out all the movies in his living room) and Paul Rudd specifically is great as the witless wonder, but in my opinion where this series falters is they go waaaaaaaaay over the top in how moronic and sheep-like they portray the Pawnee people to be. Obviously trying to make a commentary on our actual society, but it goes too far to the point of being silly and unfunny sometimes, how unrealistic it gets.
April 26, 2012, 9:26 a.m. CST
I could kiss Herc right now (open mouth, no tongue). I love that PARKS gets its own talkback, while the other shows have to share
by Tigger Tales
Can't wait to see new Parks tonight!!!
April 26, 2012, 10:38 a.m. CST
Parks & Rec gets its own TB, but Game of Thrones doesn't when it takes over the other TB's when there's some people who want to talk about Mad Men and other shit. I personally don't care, but I noticed a lot of people bitching.
April 26, 2012, 11:30 a.m. CST
April 26, 2012, 11:32 a.m. CST
April 26, 2012, noon CST
No? Then stop fucking defending them you ignorant fucks. "Wah, redistribution of wealth, wah!" WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOUR TAXES ARE?! Oh, wait, that's redistribution of MONEY YOU BARELY HAVE, not wealth! Oh, silly ME! Only the WEALTHY have WEALTH to redistribute! We can't have that! Let's just redistribute the MONEY YOU BARELY HAVE so that the WEALTHY can be safe in their ivory towers! Fuck everyone! Also, this show? Not that funny. Funny at times, but... just not that great.
April 26, 2012, 12:10 p.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
Which is a shame, because I understand that the mustache guy is pretty funny.
April 26, 2012, 12:12 p.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
April 26, 2012, 12:15 p.m. CST
One of the best all around episodes of tv this year. Everyone was great and had moments to shine.
April 26, 2012, 1:13 p.m. CST
April 26, 2012, 1:48 p.m. CST
That one confuses me too. Paul Rudds character is sheltered and stupid. Most people think of Romney as robotic and awkward but not stupid. But then again it is an election year and people like to make baseless comparisions during those times. I remember when "Horton Hears A Who" came out and more than a few critics described the bitchy Kangaroo as "Hilaryesque." I'm pretty sure all of them were rooting for Obama at the time.
April 26, 2012, 3:31 p.m. CST
It is pretty funny though.
April 26, 2012, 3:40 p.m. CST
Should be interesting to watch the debates this year. It will be a little more challenging for Obama since he won't be going against a doddering old fool who was afraid to criticize him.
April 26, 2012, 3:49 p.m. CST
And it was glorious. Loved every second of it. Except for the Captain America Parts. Steve Rogers was too Romney-esque.
April 26, 2012, 3:51 p.m. CST
I pity you and the substandard education you are likely receiving from an over-funded, underperforming, publik skool.
April 26, 2012, 4:59 p.m. CST
I usually read the site on an iPad or phone, and can't highlight it. Can you just give a spoiler warning?
April 26, 2012, 6 p.m. CST
by Prior Walter
I watched it Tuesday night? I'm confused.
April 26, 2012, 6:38 p.m. CST
by Nemesis Enforcer
gets 5th season!!!
April 26, 2012, 6:44 p.m. CST
I hope they don't end the series with this new version of earth being heaven or purgatory.
April 26, 2012, 6:45 p.m. CST
13 episodes... :)
April 26, 2012, 6:51 p.m. CST
wheres herc's post about this cool news?
April 26, 2012, 7:43 p.m. CST
April 26, 2012, 9:06 p.m. CST
Way to go, Amy Poehler. That closing speech was positively rousing. Hope there's an extended cut--felt like there were a lot of scenes that could have easily and happily been expanded. And Andy acting out films was priceless. Good Stallone, too.
April 26, 2012, 9:07 p.m. CST
you fucking paste eating mongoloid.
April 26, 2012, 10:15 p.m. CST
means going to lose an election. and romneys going to herp at the debates as soon as he gets asked what he actually believes. definently my favorite part of this episode was buddy garrity going on about guns. too funny
April 26, 2012, 11:06 p.m. CST
April 27, 2012, 2:45 a.m. CST
If left leaning people weren't afraid of Romney winning there wouldn't be this 'subversive' campaign in the media against him
Half of me hopes he'll win just so I can laugh at you guys. The other half just wants to see America start healing from the Obama term. I mean just how guilty did your history classes make you feel? It's like a mental illness at this point. <P> One scene from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia is funnier than the last 5 years of NBC in total. That's comedy. This NBC crap is just propaganda playing to the sheep. Sad.
April 27, 2012, 6:01 a.m. CST
I have friends that own NFL and NASCAR teams.
April 27, 2012, 6:05 a.m. CST
I have friends that own NFL and NASCAR teams.
April 27, 2012, 6:06 a.m. CST
April 27, 2012, 7:31 a.m. CST
He has frat bros, is a nice guy at heart, doesn't really have any substance, and people like his personality and simple statements like (paraphrasing) "I'm against crime and I'm not ashamed to say it." He also didn't really seem like he cared whether he was elected or not. He was also brought up in a wealthy family which skews his perspective, but that seemed to be a minor point. It's not about hating people like that, it's a comment on electing people who aren't the right person for the job because they seem nice, we'd want to have a beer with them, and they speak in simple terms and don't go into any details that would require us to understand the complex issues.
April 27, 2012, 9:16 a.m. CST
Now prove me wrong.
April 27, 2012, 1:26 p.m. CST
And yes, this was a great P&R ep, as well as one of the best overall Thursday nights of comedy NBC has put up in a long time. * The Law & Order parody on Community was pitch-perfect and hilarious. * Andy's slow-burn breakdown on The Office was a MUCH needed character development that has been sorely lacking from the show for quite a while. * The send-ups to 50s-era live TV on 30 Rock were priceless. Love the episode - great work by the whole cast and crew. Let's hope they can ride the creative wave to ratings success.
April 27, 2012, 8:26 p.m. CST
I signed in for the first time in years to tell you you're the worst. you're the worst.
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 191 total posts 56 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 231 total posts 40 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 55 total posts 18 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 96 total posts 10 posts
LOW WINTER SUN
2013-2013 -- 14 total posts 7 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 173 total posts 7 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 30 total posts 6 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 71 total posts 4 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with IS THE MAN WHO IS TALL HAPPY?, BETTIE PAGE REVEALS ALL, I AM DIVINE and THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE!!! -- 19 total posts 2 posts