The Next Bill Murray Or
The Next Ann Risley?? Learn Which UCB Vet Has Joined The SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE Cast!!
A Deadline Hollywood source has indicated that Upright Citizens Brigade vet Kate McKinnon will join the “Saturday Night Live” cast beginning with the April 7 Sofia Vergara episode.
The show has been looking to shore up its female cast.
Kristin Wiig, busy writing and starring in motion pictures subsequent to her comedy smash “Bridesmaids,” is widely expected to leave SNL at the end of this season -- and Abby Elliott was nearly cast in the Fox pilot “Ned Fox Is My Manny.” (There are only so many roles Vanessa Bayer and Nasim Pedrad can play in each sketch).
As a college senior McKinnon was cast in Logo's "Big Gay Skietch Show," where she starred for all three seasons.
McKinnon at work:
Find all of Deadline’s story on the matter here.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 29, 2012, 12:18 a.m. CST
Wigg leaves this year, Bayer gets bumped up. They hang onto Sudekis for dear life for at least another season
Losing Wigg and Sudekis in one season would hurt Lorne a bit too much.
March 29, 2012, 12:39 a.m. CST
Neither has any range beyond playing characitures of themselves. Wiig overquirky and Sedekis overloudtalking. Most one dimensional cast members in a long time. Maybe since Bob Bobcat.
March 29, 2012, 12:49 a.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 1:08 a.m. CST
Lorne hasn't been able to find a funny black guy since Eddie Murphy left. And before anyone says that Chis Rock is funny, keep in mind that he is only funny when doing stand-up comedy. He sucked on SNL.
March 29, 2012, 6:11 a.m. CST
Apart from Maya Rudolph (who still gets called back) he hasn't hired a black woman comedienne in almost 20 years of SNL. So get ready for more Keenan Thompson in drag playing Oprah, Whoopi, Michelle Obama, and any other famous black woman.
March 29, 2012, 6:13 a.m. CST
Murphy joined during the time Michaels had left the show
March 29, 2012, 7:38 a.m. CST
Hot, but horrible. The best female cast member they have right now is Bobby Moynihan in drag.
March 29, 2012, 8:31 a.m. CST
The most obscure NRFPTP? Or does that distinction belong to George Coe? Probably Risley, as Coe did a lot of work before and after SNL. Risley, I have heard, actually has some very dark and angry memories from her time on the show.
March 29, 2012, 9:51 a.m. CST
Yeah, Murphy was the only thing Dick Ebersol did right on SNL (well, hiring Joe Piscopo wasn't bad until he became a parody of himself). Then again, there was a lot of people on his staff who were against hiring Murphy. But you gotta credit Michaels for actually using Murphy. Under Ebersol, Murphy was nothing more than a bit player.
March 29, 2012, 10:18 a.m. CST
Stefan introducing '....Kevin?' on Weekend update nearly made me wet myself. He belongs in the Nathan Barley universe.
March 29, 2012, 10:46 a.m. CST
Think I reached my breaking point with last week's Liza Minnelli sketch... Who the fuck still does Liza Minnelli? From the early fucking 80s?! I mean, it was funny when Catherine O'hara did it as Lola Teatherton on SCTV thirty years ago... Seriously, what the fuck? Time to move on, lady. Either that, or hire some writers who are young enough not to think a CATS reference is still funny...
March 29, 2012, 11:04 a.m. CST
Jean Dominian from the terrible 6th season.
March 29, 2012, 11:05 a.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 11:07 a.m. CST
Abby Elliott. So glad she's sticking around. Maybe they'll put her in a sketch for once maybe... now.... maybe every other week at least. Something other than *lady standing there*.
March 29, 2012, 11:16 a.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 11:21 a.m. CST
Seriously, what does she bring to the table besides a pretty cute face and a D-list father? I don't understand why she's still on the show.
March 29, 2012, 11:57 a.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
No matter the sketch, those gums and teeth show up and kill it for me every time.
March 29, 2012, 12:10 p.m. CST
by yeah i'm a jerk!
Good riddance! Now get rid of the rest of the cast! They are all in the same class as Ann Risley! Worst cast since the 6th season! Or maybe get some writers who are actually clever.....
March 29, 2012, 12:12 p.m. CST
I mean after the Ferrell days, SNL has had a horrendous cast. I mildly find Kristen Wigg hilarious, Sudekis I like just not on SNL. I find him hilarious in everything else he's involved in. There's no one on the show that even find that funny, the only time I do like it is when they do they're Political satires.
March 29, 2012, 12:34 p.m. CST
Its the tepid writing. They no longer have any perspective on political stories. Remember when they could bash both sides hilariously? Someone rescue poor Keenan from all those drag skits.
March 29, 2012, 12:52 p.m. CST
She's up against three other actresses, including Jessica Joy from The Playboy Club. Word is Lorne is going to give all the ladies a shot and see who fits best with the rest of the cast. Way to misinterpret the Deadline article though, Herc. Jumping the gun, or just poor reading comprehension skills?
March 29, 2012, 12:55 p.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 1:37 p.m. CST
Oh look, it says on the interwebs that she was hired exactly 21 years ago - in 1991. Now remind me again, what my post says on the subject and how long I mentioned it was since Michaels had hired a bIack female comidienne not called Maya Rudolph? This one should be easy since it's exactly on this page but just a few posts up. Learn how to read next time before asking me dumbass questions.
March 29, 2012, 1:39 p.m. CST
Credit or blame Jean Doumanian and her 11-episode reign.
March 29, 2012, 1:40 p.m. CST
Word to your mother
March 29, 2012, 2:09 p.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 2:17 p.m. CST
If you're being objective about it. Has he ever starred in or written anything remotely successful? He was mildly amusing in the Letterman skits, but he's a great example of a guy who thinks he's funnier than he actually is. I'd wager most people remember him from the Doritos commercials, if they remember him at all aside from a vague, "Oh yeah... that guy." Regardless of his 'celebrity' status, that still doesn't explain how his talentless daughter has lasted FOUR SEASONS on the show without doing one memorable sketch or character. The vacant look in her eyes is somewhat unnerving.
March 29, 2012, 2:22 p.m. CST
by Jesse Kroh
Cabin Boy...'nuff said
March 29, 2012, 2:33 p.m. CST
I got to spend two weeks with him one summer years ago, and he had us laughing the whole time. If anything, he's funnier than he thinks he is. I don't give a shit how little money "Cabin Boy" made or how many people watched "Get A Life." Chris Elliott is one of the funniest human beings on the planet.
March 29, 2012, 3:16 p.m. CST
by Jesse Kroh
The "Spewie and Me" episode is up there with the WKRP thanksgiving episode as one of the funniest half hours of TV that I have ever witnessed. "Zoo Animals on Wheels" is up there too. I often hear Chris singing the line "I'm a lonely wildabeast" in my head.
March 29, 2012, 3:29 p.m. CST
...in during 'There's Something About Mary'. everything he does in that movie is subtle and brilliant at the same time. in point of fact, the whole movie falls apart with out him because of the reveal of who he is at the end of the film.
March 29, 2012, 3:39 p.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 4:34 p.m. CST
The problem for SNL and Lorne Michaels is that Jon Stewart now scoops him for all the best and talented young comedians and writers
.....not to mention the most racially diverse. And then there's the fact that several of Stewart's Daily Show Alums have gone on to have legit stand up or even Hollywood careers and even their own successful shows. Stephen Colbert, Steve Carrell, John Oliver, Hodgeman, Wyatt Cenac. If I'm a young comedian working in New York or on the East Coast, then I'm thinking to myself that the Daily show is probably where I cant to end up working for myself and building my career rather than the now generally acknowledged to be unfunny SNL. OF course a few SNL alums have gone onto great success post-SNL in TVland or Hollywood - most notably Tina Fey, Amy Poehler (to a lesser extent) and it seems soon to be ex-cast member, Academy award nominee Kristen Wiig. But generally the trend seems to be downward from the days it would pump out the Eddie Murphy's, the Chevy Chases and Dan Akroyds ,the Mike Myers, the Adam Sandlers, ...with more consistency.
March 29, 2012, 4:50 p.m. CST
Samantha Bee and Jason Jones have been there forever. The rest are bad
March 29, 2012, 8:58 p.m. CST
March 29, 2012, 8:59 p.m. CST
March 30, 2012, 12:25 a.m. CST
by Cheif Brody
1. Let Wiig go. She is only repeating herself over & over again in every sketch, ad nauseum. She can always come back & host, or cameo. No knock on her...she has provided many, MANY laffs over the years...but she has run her course there. <p> 2. Let Armisen go. Ditto. <p> 3. Hire Key...or Peele...whichever one does the excellent Obama impersonation, to replace Armisen. <p> 3. Don't shoot Digital Shorts just to shoot Digital Shorts. They use to be a once in a while hilarious treat. Every week?...Desperate and diminishing rate of returns on the funny. <p> 4. Fire the musical talent booker. Lana Del Rey? Bon Iver? WTF? The musical guests have been downright depressing this season. It's a Saturday Night show...stop trying to put me to sleep before Update! <p> 5. Speaking of which... Give Seth a co-anchor. Nasim could be good. He needs someone to riff with. <p> 6. Find another Mya Rudolph. Stat! She was so versatile and always brought the funny. <p> 7. Keep up the star cameos! When yer host is Charles Barkley... Ya gotta supplement with a Timberlake...Baldwin...or Hanks cameo somewhere. Is it time for multiple hosts? <p> 8. Find a voice for Jay Pharoah...besides Denzel Washington's. He has gotten himself pigeon-holed too fast. Needs a breakout character, that isn't one of his stellar impersonations. Meadows had "Ladies Man"... Murphy had "Mr. Robinson", "Gumby", etc... Even Morgan had "Brian Fellows" fer cryin out loud! Yes...Jay's a good impersonator... but enough is enough. <p> 9. Get Sudekis more involved...before ya lose him. Think he was in two sketches last week. He's always in the final "limp to the barn" sketch, too! <p> 10. Retire, Lorne. I know this is yer baby... but it's time to give the gig to a young, hungry up & comer. You've got alot of other projects to keep ya busy, Dr. Evil... Time for some young blood to start callin the shots. <p> Discuss.
March 30, 2012, 12:53 a.m. CST
I hate agreeing with you. Chris Elliott is one of the most underrated comedians ever. Get a Life was absurd and ahead of it's time. Cabin Boy was so hilarious. He's always good. I hate agreeing with you. You'll probably delete this post of mine too.
March 30, 2012, 7:16 a.m. CST
by Wolfman Nards
That could really be his breakout. And job security.
March 30, 2012, 8:13 a.m. CST
I do believe that his part in The Abyss was probably Chris Elliott's finest moments like: Oh no, look who's with them. Queen Bitch of the Universe. Also Jay Pharoah kills me with his Will Smith/Denzel Washington impressions. GENIUS!
March 30, 2012, 9:31 a.m. CST
Abby's talent is being wasted on the show. Unfortunately, Wiig finds a way to weasel her way into almost every scene. I'm sure I speak for most everyone here when I say I'll be glad to see her gone after this season. Nassim does a great job with ethnic characters, and Vanessa is good with the quirky parts. I hope Abby gets bumped up to first string next year and gets a chance to prove herself. She'll end up in prime time sitcom land soon enough, much like the girl that's now on Happy Endings. Saw Chris on Letterman earlier this week - always a joy to see those two together again.
March 30, 2012, 9:48 a.m. CST
by Chris Sorrentino
Insanely great book written by Chris Elliot! I think he's written a few now, but that's the only one I've read so far... I feel bad for anyone who has never seen Get A Life. Way ahead of its time (and REM does the theme song, how awesome is that???)... Chris Elliot was the only worthwhile part of Scary Movie 2... Chris Elliot was amazing in Groundhog Day...
March 30, 2012, 9:50 a.m. CST
by Chris Sorrentino
March 30, 2012, 1:27 p.m. CST
by Michael Lunney
March 30, 2012, 1:32 p.m. CST
by Incomplete Gamer
It's okay if you don't like Bon Iver, it's certainly not for everybody. However, I disagree with you about not having them as a special guest. They were a band on the verge of breaking out and only weeks away from winning a Grammy. What's more, Saturday Night Live has a long reputation for breaking new artists, just look at what happened to The Counting Crows back in the day. It's great to see smaller bands get exposure. Not every week needs to be something Top 40.
March 30, 2012, 5:10 p.m. CST
by Cheif Brody
Bon Iver is a great band...but they have their time & place. Saturday nights... I wanna ROCK! Not get lulled to sleep. <p> Most Top 40 is even worse...Katy Perry, Jessie J, Gaga, Kellie Clarkson? All blending together in my ears.... but at least they are all UPBEAT. <p> I'd rather see some Alt ROCK bands get their break on SNL. I want something with a spine! "Get this fuckin party started" type shit. <p> Bon Iver isn't that band. <p> I swear the SNL musical guest booker is on Xannax & suicidal.
March 30, 2012, 6:10 p.m. CST
The Bob and Ray show may have been the best radio show ever performed by 2 men.
March 30, 2012, 7:45 p.m. CST
Even Letterman's cameo was brilliant! "Would you like to buy a monkey?"
March 30, 2012, 9:41 p.m. CST
March 30, 2012, 10:32 p.m. CST
My original comment wasn't really about her dad. Can anyone give me a good reason she's been on SNL for four seasons? Someone mentioned her talent is being wasted... is there any proof of said talent? She's adorable and she isn't bad in skits that involve singing, but I'm pretty sure there must be thousands of female comedians who deserve to be on SNL instead of her. Nasim is super hot and kinda reminds me of Cheri Oteri. I could definitely use more of her on the show, which means she'll probably be dumped before September.
March 31, 2012, 9:56 a.m. CST
No one has mentioned the best performer in the cast - Bill Hader. That show is in much worse shape without him.
March 31, 2012, 2:33 p.m. CST
March 31, 2012, 4:03 p.m. CST
doesn't matter who added him to the show..was an obvious move
March 31, 2012, 6:07 p.m. CST
to Will Forte? At what point did he leave the show? He was pretty funny. Bill hader is probably the most talented cast member around right now. Seth myers is starting to kinda annoy me. He's got this whole arrogant douchey quality to his humor and he's really not that funny. Bring back norm mcdonald. Wiig stopped being funny long ago. Everytime she's in a sketch its like she's yelling look at me, look at me, I'm funny. Irritating unfunny cunt. Get rid of lorne, and dump the whole cast. Start fresh NBC and hurry up because right now SNL is about as funny as MAD tv was. Okay maybe not that bad.
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 166 total posts 162 posts
- A Badass GAME OF THRONES Sword Guy Has Apparently Been Cast In STAR WARS EPISODE VII!! -- 84 total posts 84 posts
- See Luke Evans' Kinect Bats In This New DRACULA UNTOLD Trailer!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- BBC Issues DOCTOR WHO: ‘Robot of Sherwood’ Promo Images!! + DOCTOR WHO EXTRAs For ‘Deep Breath’ And ‘Into the Dalek’ Are Now On YouTube!! -- 35 total posts 35 posts
- This New Trailer For MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT Is Looking Promising!! -- 34 total posts 34 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 431 total posts 18 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 730 total posts 16 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 16 total posts 16 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts