SXSW '12! Nordling Says FAT KID RULES THE WORLD Is Heartfelt, Funny, And A Punk Rock Winner!
Frankly, I didn’t know Matthew Lillard had it in him. But FAT KID RULES THE WORLD, based on the novel by K. L. Going, is a sweet, heartfelt punk rock coming of age story that floored me. Funny and emotional, FAT KID RULES THE WORLD will play to a mainstream audience as well as punk kids of all ages. I was surprised by how touching the movie gets at times – I heard a lot of sniffling in the theater during the more emotional scenes, some of it coming from myself – and the end result is a winning movie that, if all is right with the world, will find decent distribution. I could see this one becoming a teenage classic. I think John Hughes would have approved.
Troy (Jacob Wysocki) is that kid in school that just doesn’t exist in the social sphere, although you wouldn’t know it to look at him – he’s 300 pounds of teenager in a world that would never give him the time of day. When not playing online games and eating, he spends most of the time imagining ways in which he happily dies, often with explosive gore. Troy’s mother is dead; his taciturn military father (Billy Campbell) doesn’t quite know what to do with him, and his younger brother is embarrassed by him. One day, Troy decides to act on his suicidal fantasy and steps in front of an oncoming bus.
But before the bus can slam into him, he’s hurled out of the way by the unlikeliest hero imaginable – Marcus (Matt O’ Leary), a local burnout and recently expelled from the high school Troy attends. Marcus and Troy form a bond of sorts – Marcus isn’t above using Troy for his own personal needs, but he develops a genuine affection for him, and decides that Troy would be perfect for his new band. Slowly, Troy comes out of his shell, but Marcus’s addictions threaten to cripple them both.
The performances in FAT KID RULES THE WORLD are across the board terrific. As Troy opens up to his family and to Marcus, Jacob Wysocki is admirably restrained and his work feels genuine. We root for Troy as he explores this new punk rock world and wish him the best. The same goes for Matt O’Leary, who manipulates everything and everyone around him, but winds up feeling protective of Troy and their unlikely friendship is honest and true. But the performance of the movie belongs to Billy Campbell, who is fantastic as the stern father, a strict disciplinarian that could have gone completely cliché but instead takes a different approach that completely works. He sees his son finally interacting with the world and loves him with all his heart, even if he can’t show it. His work is phenomenal here, and is one of my favorite performances of the year so far.
Matthew Lillard has a deft touch with the humor as well as the emotion – I’ve rarely seen a first film directed so confidently. Lillard was first introduced to the material when he did an audio recording of the book nine years ago, and once he read it, he had to have it. It was a nine year struggle to make the movie he wanted to make, with no compromises. This is the Lillard of SLC PUNK working here. It feels like Lillard has lived this world and knows the people in it very intimately. The film is often hilarious, especially when Troy imagines various scenarios that often end with him dying in spectacular fashion. The music, by Mike McCready of Pearl Jam, works tonally with the film and Lillard uses the punk rock soundtrack very well, especially in one scene when Troy and Marcus make music together, and it becomes a revelation for both of them.
There’s no reason FAT KID RULES THE WORLD shouldn’t get distribution –it plays very well to a crowd and I could see kids embracing the movie’s message and performances. FAT KID RULES THE WORLD has really stuck with me, and Lillard, with his feature film directing debut, navigates the uncomfortable waters of adolescence with sensitivity and humor. One of the most enjoyable experiences I’ve had at SXSW this year, and I hope everyone gets to see this very soon.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 13, 2012, 2:56 p.m. CST
March 13, 2012, 3:46 p.m. CST
by Robert Evans
seriously..theres some comedy gold in there.
March 13, 2012, 4:09 p.m. CST
It's going to be quite a struggle for all the assholes on here to bitch and moan about it, FACT!
March 13, 2012, 4:22 p.m. CST
There's a fat kid in this but he doesn't end up ruling the world.
March 13, 2012, 5:18 p.m. CST
March 13, 2012, 8:27 p.m. CST
I'm gonna assume that he wrote a sort of contemporary score for the movie, because you cannot use Pearl Jam and Punk in the same context. Like, AT ALL. That said, what kind of "punk" music are we talking about here? The watered down pouty-pop industry friendly Hot Topic shit or the real deal (Circle Jerks, pre-Rollins Black Flag, Meatmen, Original lineup Misfits etc) because that, my friend, will make a world of difference. This coming from someone who got the shit kicked out of him for having a bonafide mohawk decades before it came fun and fashionable to do so.
March 13, 2012, 9:22 p.m. CST
...or at least had plenty to say about it...and I'm stoked to see Lillard still working...
March 14, 2012, 1:27 a.m. CST
...on the otherhand, who's the cock fag who said *fat records*? All this time I thought it was *wreck chords*. Oh well, potato potato. I hate to be that guy, but lately Nordling sounds like a...I don't know how to say this...Dildo?
March 14, 2012, 4:09 a.m. CST
SLC Punk rules and have always liked Lillard in his non-shaggy roles :-)
March 14, 2012, 4:09 a.m. CST
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 459 total posts 299 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 234 total posts 193 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 190 total posts 104 posts
- Amazon To Bring Back Patrick Warburton As Ben Edlund’s TICK?? -- 32 total posts 32 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 62 total posts 25 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 306 total posts 24 posts
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 49 total posts 23 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 292 total posts 22 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Fox's Batman-Free GOTHAM, Woody’s MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT, The Final Season Of BOARDWALK EMPIRE, And The Latest MARVEL, DC, STAR WARS & STAR TREK News!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 195 total posts 9 posts