Quint finds BEAUTY IS EMBARRASSING to be vulgar, hilarious and filled with nostalgia! SXSW 2012!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. When I first combed through the SXSW schedule I overlooked Beauty is Embarrassing. The title didn’t grab me and I typically make my first schedule pass by looking for midnights and narrative features and whatever docs happen to jump out at me.
But I do make sure to do multiple passes at my schedule and scan every movie playing at the fests I’m attending and it was that process that put Beauty is Embarrassing on my radar this year. Know why? Because I saw the words “Pee-Wee’s Playhouse.”
Wayne White is an artist who has had a wide and varied career, ranging from painting to sculpting and everything in-between. Some of that in-between includes his work designing Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, building a great majority of the puppets used on the show and voicing Dirty Dog, one of the flowers that introduce the King of Cartoons and Randy, the ginger delinquent puppet.
There’s a lot more to Mr. White’s work than the Playhouse, but that was the in for me and I’m so glad I saw the film. It’s one of those really easy to watch docs that shows real heart while covering a fun, eccentric character. In short, it’s a damn fun time getting to know Wayne White, his family and friends.
Early on in the doc Matt Groening describes White as a combination of Zach Galifianakis and the Unibomber and that’s not wholly inaccurate. He’s a wild man, uber-creative with that manic energy present in most brilliant artists. His wit is quick, his sense of humor sharp and his enthusiasm for life apparent in every puppet he builds, every thrift store painting he retrofits for his own unique art and every story he tells to the documentarians.
That’s kind of important when your documentary is focused on a single subject. That subject better damn well be interesting and White is interesting enough to fill a dozen documentaries.
The glimpses into his family life are fascinating, watching him practice his art is very cool, but when the film gets to the Pee-Wee’s Playhouse section it’s just pure magic. There is rare footage of White goofing off with his partners in crime, putting on dirty puppet shows during their downtime in glimpses that are both amazing and frustratingly short. I’d love to see some of these cheap puppet theater pieces in all their glory!
Bottom line, the documentary is great, a truly entertaining examination of the power of art and how being true to your passions can have a noticeable impact on the world.
SXSWers, this is a must catch that’s flying way under the radar this year and the rest of you, you’ll get to see it, I’m sure. Somebody will snap this one up and release it. It’s just too funny not to.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 13, 2012, 2:41 a.m. CST
by I Max U Mini
March 13, 2012, 3:32 a.m. CST
But a combination of Zach G and the Unibomber? So he's a guy who blows shit up while spewing unfunny jokes from his mouth? Yes, I said it, Zach Galifinakas isn't funny, just like Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler. Most overrated comedians of all time if you ask me. Sandler and Carrey had their moments in "Punch Drunk Love" and "Eternal Sunshine" and "Man on the Moon," but what they're famous for is crap!!!!
March 13, 2012, 9:27 a.m. CST
March 13, 2012, 9:28 a.m. CST
I want to see this.
March 13, 2012, 9:41 a.m. CST
I had a friend that used to alter thrift store paintings, too. He'd paint suicides into landscapes (sometimes so tiny they were difficult to spot) and wounds/sores into portraits.
March 13, 2012, 10:13 a.m. CST
http://waynewhiteart.com/ Check some of the comics. Oddly hilarious. Loved the Lewis and Clark bit. There's some real out there stuff in there. Very worth the time. You'll get lost in it. I did.
March 13, 2012, 10:14 a.m. CST
with the hounds. Hilarious.
March 13, 2012, 3:58 p.m. CST
I doubt it will play very wide. Netflix please.
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 420 total posts 83 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 46 total posts 46 posts
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 168 total posts 38 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 66 total posts 37 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 44 total posts 36 posts
- Tom Hardy (as twins) and Emily Browning to star in Brian Helgeland's gangster flick, LEGEND! -- 42 total posts 33 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- Mowgli to have friends like Scarlett Johansson and Lupita Nyong'o in Jon Favreau's JUNGLE BOOK! -- 61 total posts 25 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 31 total posts 24 posts
- "Where do you stand on Michael Buble?" "His windpipe?" Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon have more celebrity impressions up their sleeves in THE TRIP TO ITALY trailer! -- 43 total posts 21 posts