Nordling's Daily SXSW Preview, Day 4! MARLEY! JUST LIKE BEING THERE! WE ARE LEGION: THE STORY OF THE HACKTIVISTS!
Here's Day 4 of my South By Southwest preview, and today I thought I'd concentrate on the documentaries making the rounds this year. I've already showcased some, but these three are ones I'm especially interested in checking out. Here we go:
Director: Kevin Macdonald
This one's probably the documentary this year that's going to get the most buzz and attendance - the story of Bob Marley as told by his friends, family, and the people who knew him best. Full of unseen footage and performances, this film by Kevin Macdonald (THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND) is probably one of the most anticipated of the festival, and it's the one I hear the most talked about from people going. It's screening a few times this year, so those wanting to see it will likely get a chance to experience this film. Bob Marley is one of those musicians that transcends mere music and becomes something more, and even those only vaguely familiar with his life and work will want to see this.
PLAY TIMES: Sunday, March 11th, 5:30 PM, Paramount Theater; Monday, March 12th, 9:30 PM, Alamo Slaughter; Wednesday, March 14th, 4:30 PM, Alamo Village; Friday, March 16th, 10:00 PM, Paramount Theater
JUST LIKE BEING THERE
Director: Scout Shannon
I'm definitely not as rabid a poster collector as many other people I know, but that's only due to lack of funds and time. I was able to score a TRUE GRIT Mondo poster a couple of years ago and it felt like I was able to rob Fort Knox and get away with it. This documentary about gig posters, alternate movie posters, and the people who make them is going to be crazily attended, considering it's SXSW and this is a Mondo Tees town. It would be wonderfully meta of Mondo to do a poster for this movie; Lord knows what it would look like, but I'd bet it would sell out in minutes and show up on eBay minutes later for over a thousand dollars. I love fan-made movie posters; 99% they're always so much better than the studio releases, and it's as if all these artists are carrying on the work of the Mighty Drew Struzan. Can't wait to see this one.
PLAY TIMES: Friday, March 9th, 9:30 PM, Alamo Ritz; Saturday, March 10th, 9:00 PM, Violet Crown; Thursday, March 15th, 4:15 PM, Vimeo Theater; Saturday, March 17th, 6:15 PM, Alamo Ritz
WE ARE LEGION: THE STORY OF THE HACKTIVISTS
Director: Brian Knappenberger
I ain't gonna lie; I'm terrified of groups like Anonymous and LulzSec. I respect and fear them - they've become something of the boogeymen of the Internet. Hell, I was nervous of just writing up this blurb for the documentary, playing at SXSW this year. But it's a fascinating story regardless, and although to many it's still unclear to many people what these groups stand for, no one can deny their power and that our world has changed as a result of their deeds. It's funny, at one point in the festival, this documentary and the Wikileaks documentary are playing at the same time, and I'm wondering if the whole wireless grid will go down in Austin as a result in those two hours. Sure to be controversial, WE ARE LEGION will be talked about throughout the fest, of that I'm certain.
PLAY TIMES: Sunday, March 11th, 6:30 PM, Vimeo Theater; Tuesday, March 13th, 5:00 PM, Vimeo Theater; Wednesday, March 14th, 5:00 PM, Alamo Slaughter; Friday, March 16th, 4:15 PM, Alamo Lamar
And that's it for today. Thanks for reading!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 23, 2012, 12:32 p.m. CST
Feb. 23, 2012, 12:36 p.m. CST
No one else is posting on it.
Feb. 23, 2012, 12:52 p.m. CST
Give me a break. I don't fault YOU for this, Nordling, as you didn't coin this term, but it's a clear-cut case of using an impressive-sounding word to describe being a douchebag. Just like the dickheads stinking up a park in New York and blocking traffic are "activists".
Feb. 23, 2012, 7:25 p.m. CST
samizdat ever was
Feb. 23, 2012, 8:27 p.m. CST
Less so for LulzSec. Them I think you thank Satan for. But Anonymous is a force for good, absolutely.
Feb. 23, 2012, 8:57 p.m. CST
Whiney crybabies, children of privilege bashing the evils of capitalism by tweeting about them on their expensive laptops and iPhones. It's what the Bolshevik revolution would have looked like if Lenin used a bunch of bedwetting kindergartners.
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of The First Jack Bauer 24 Adventure Since 2010!! Plus GAME OF THRONES, MAD MEN, HANNIBAL, AGENTS OF SHIELD, And More!! And The Return Of FX MOVIE DOWNLOAD Star Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 8pm PT / 11pm ET!! -- 296 total posts 146 posts
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 300 total posts 19 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 577 total posts 11 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 229 total posts 9 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 254 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 198 total posts 5 posts
- MTV Movie Awards drops an opening scene from X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST! And it rocks! -- 317 total posts 4 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 119 total posts 4 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 194 total posts 4 posts
- ‘I Have Something To Say To The People Of Meereen!!’ The Stormborn Returns For Tonight’s Third GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 3 total posts 3 posts