Nordling's Daily SXSW 2012 Preview, Day 3! THE RAID! V/H/S! GIRLS AGAINST BOYS!
Day 3 of my SXSW Preview! So far it's shaping up nicely this year, and today I thought I'd concentrate some on the Midnighters, but first I wanted to talk briefly about one film in particular. So here we go:
Director: Gareth Huw Evans
Oh boy. I'm embargoed until the film plays at SXSW, but let me just say this... DIE HARD. HARD BOILED. THE RAID. Yeah, it's that fucking good. It totally deserves to be mentioned with those classics of action cinema. A police squad is ordered to take down a crime boss in a dilapidated apartment building, but get more than they bargained for, as a rookie cop does everything he can to get back home. Iko Uwais (MERENTAU) is a human battering ram in this movie, and I dare say there's no one alive who wants to be punched by him. But this movie's full of amazing scenes, and Gareth Evans' direction is simply stunning, with a style that's never confusing and always intense. It's only playing once at the festival, and I guaran-goddamn-tee you they'll be sitting on the stairs for this one. Do not miss this.
PLAY TIMES: Sunday, March 11th, 9:30 PM, Paramount Theater
Director(s): Adam Wingard, David Bruckner, Ti West, Glenn McQuaid, Joe Swanberg, Radio Silence
A found footage anthology movie, which would ordinarily make me pause, but the feedback from Sundance was so intense and positive that I'm going to have to check this out myself. A group of burglars stumble upon a collection of video tapes, and what's inside them takes the audience on a horrific ride. The varying reviews I've read each tout a different segment as the strongest one, so I'm thinking that there might not be a weak one in the bunch. I've been less than complimentary of found footage movies before, but I'm always open for anything that makes the genre work, and word is, this works. It works very well, from what I'm told.
PLAY TIMES: Sunday, March 11th, 11:45 PM, Alamo Lamar A; Tuesday, March 13th, 11:30 PM, Alamo Lamar B; Friday, March 16th, 11:59 PM, Alamo Ritz 1
GIRLS AGAINST BOYS
Director: Austin Chick
Having its World Premiere at SXSW this year is GIRLS AGAINST BOYS, a coming-of-age story about two young women bartenders on a murdering spree. Because you can only truly understand who you are and your place in this world when you're slaughtering a bunch of people who did you wrong. Director Austin Chick was a producer of WHEN THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD, writer of XX/XY, and director of AUGUST, and this movie sounds like an interesting choice for a Midnighter. A feminist slasher movie? Or something else? We'll see when it has its premiere.
PLAY TIMES: Friday, March 9th, 11:59 PM, Alamo Ritz; Saturday, March 10th, 3:45 PM Violet Crown; Tuesday, March 13th, 11:30 PM, Alamo Ritz; Wednesday, 7:30 PM, Violet Crown
And that's it for today; tomorrow I'm going to dive into some of the documentaries playing this year. A real variety of subjects and filmmakers this year.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 22, 2012, 3:13 p.m. CST
by Mark Jones
Nordling, you just named the only 2 action films I class as the Gold Standard and dropped The Raid in there too. Don't be kidding now coz this is a bid deal!
Feb. 22, 2012, 3:40 p.m. CST
by Iowa Snot Client
The only thing I dislike about The Raid trailer is the music... but they DIDN'T use Let the Bodies Hit the Floor, so even that bold move has earned my respect.
Feb. 22, 2012, 3:56 p.m. CST
by sebastian half and half
Feb. 22, 2012, 3:57 p.m. CST
by sebastian half and half
my girl loves her some Ash!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iPQPrz1GbM
Feb. 22, 2012, 4:11 p.m. CST
by Tank Williams
Awful. Sounds like something someone made in Apple's Garage band. Other than that, fantastico!
Feb. 22, 2012, 4:28 p.m. CST
Johnny Depp cannot resist being in a movie. If a movie is in production, Johnny Depp must be there. Johnny Depp is everywhere. E V E R Y W H E R E
Feb. 22, 2012, 4:46 p.m. CST
Feb. 22, 2012, 4:59 p.m. CST
Is done by the vaguely Asian vaguely rapper-ish guy in Linkin Park. So yes, it should come as no surprise that it's awful.
Feb. 22, 2012, 5:05 p.m. CST
...and three of my teeth fell out from the impact.
Feb. 22, 2012, 9:19 p.m. CST
and there is definitely one of those two that is the best. And there is one outside of those two that is the weakest.
Feb. 23, 2012, 3:24 a.m. CST
Its so refreshing to see fast action sequences filmed so we can actually tell whats happening. Looking forward to this.
Feb. 23, 2012, 9:34 a.m. CST
A found footage movie by people who apparently aren't fans of found footage movies. That can only be a good thing.
- Nordling Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Spoilers Abound! You Are Warned! -- 727 total posts 495 posts
- The big screen adaptation of ASSASSIN'S CREED has been given a release date!!! -- 140 total posts 126 posts
- Harry gets seriously geeky on the very geeky cool STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! Can't wait for the next one! & See this again! -- 1431 total posts 84 posts
- Capone reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and considers the art of messing with canon and why it doesn't bother him!!! -- 471 total posts 79 posts
- Mr. Beaks Reviews STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS! -- 1137 total posts 78 posts
- AVENGERS 2 might be filming in SOUTH AFRICA, does this mean that Black Panther is going to be a part of the action!?! -- 320 total posts 74 posts
- UPDATE The Friday Docback Calls 'The Name of the Doctor'!! DOCTOR WHO's S7 Finale Arrives This Weekend!! Now With Glen's Ultra-Brief, SPOILER FREE MiniReview!! -- 124 total posts 59 posts
- Did you guys like RED 2? Oh it's not out yet, well who cares?? Get ready for RED 3 anyways!!! -- 100 total posts 43 posts
- ‘I Am Not Fucking Like You!!’ The 3-Minute Trailer For The Rampling-Enhanced Final Season Of DEXTER!! -- 84 total posts 42 posts
- Christopher Nolan maybe, could be, might be, directing the next BOND film!?!?! -- 509 total posts 34 posts