Want to see the two Animated Oscar Nominated Features in Austin that haven't been released yet?
Hey folks, Harry here... When the Academy Award Nominations came out - I instantly set about reaching out to GKids, the distributor of A CAT IN PARIS and CHICO & RITA to see if we could get a screening of these two underdogs. I mean, we've all heard about PUSS IN BOOTS & KUNG FU PANDA 2 & RANGO... before those films were nominated they had millions & millions of dollars of PR budgets to make sure we would all be aware of their Titles.
The instant reaction by most folks when the nominations came out was... where are CARS 2 & TINTIN? Me, I was wondering if A CAT IN PARIS or CHICO & RITA were better than RANGO, which is my fave of the other nominated features. Living here in Austin, it is harder to see the undercards that are nominated. In New York & Los Angeles - these things get screened for the voting populace of the Academy - and lots of other folks sometimes are able to see them. So I put this together for the FANTASTIC FEST crowd - and all at the low price of $10 for this Animated double bill! (don't worry, I don't make a dime, that's just to cover the expense of the Alamo for the theater having a double bill.)
Here are the trailers for these two flicks:
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 10, 2012, 7:12 p.m. CST
Chico and Rita is a dead cert to win the Oscar. Also, Tintin was ruled out due to it being a motion capture film, which isn't allowed in the animation category according to academy rules
Feb. 10, 2012, 7:17 p.m. CST
by His gardener
These both look good.
Feb. 10, 2012, 7:43 p.m. CST
by Yotz Von Frelnik
Same face, same blond ponytailed hair. And she's got a gun!
Feb. 10, 2012, 7:50 p.m. CST
Feb. 10, 2012, 7:53 p.m. CST
Feb. 10, 2012, 9:17 p.m. CST
had i known about this 6 hours ago I would've declined working on a saturday. shit, shit, shit.
Feb. 11, 2012, 1:27 a.m. CST
by jon pertwee
is how two movies released in 2010 could get nominated for the 2011 year.
Feb. 11, 2012, 8:05 a.m. CST
One of the many crimes of the Oscar noms this year was no nod for that silly little bear.
Feb. 11, 2012, 8:47 a.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
...and this is coming from a major Pixar fanboy. It makes me sad to realize the worst animated film I saw last year was released by Pixar. :(
Feb. 11, 2012, 8:58 a.m. CST
Tintin was pretty friggin intense. Way better than i was expectin. also a cat in paris came out on my birthday!
Feb. 11, 2012, 11:06 a.m. CST
I was shocked about Tintin mostly because of Spielberg and Jackson, I thought they had the academy by the balls.
Feb. 11, 2012, 5:04 p.m. CST
by Majin Fu
Feb. 11, 2012, 5:34 p.m. CST
Just experienced a one time only AICN double feature screening in Austin of two GREAT (no over statement) Academy nominated animated features. These dramas from France & Spain are aimed @ adult audiences. 1st was A CAT IN PARIS a noirish action thriller deal'n with a lonely little girl, her widowed single mom, the housekeeper, & their cat wrap'd in elements of TO CATCH A THIEF. Next was CHICO & RITA a jazzy, hot, tragic, love story set in the entertainment sub culture of 1948 to present Havana, Paris, NYC, & Hollywood submerged in the actual musical sounds of Woody Herman, Cole Porter, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, & others. MUST SEE as virgin as possible motion pictures!
Feb. 11, 2012, 5:47 p.m. CST
by Pedro Adamo
It's nice to see the Academy not picking something stupid and/or mainstream. (I'm looking at you, "Happy Feet"!)
Feb. 11, 2012, 8:24 p.m. CST
Anyone else get a Miyazaki vibe off of it ?
Feb. 12, 2012, 12:09 p.m. CST
Can't see how it can loose that Oscar, Tintin should have made the final list too. Bloody Yanks!
Feb. 12, 2012, 10:54 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
I wasn't terribly enamored with it. Ugly, UGLY character designs, too.
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 109 total posts 84 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 82 total posts 38 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 551 total posts 28 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 162 total posts 19 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 171 total posts 14 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 99 total posts 9 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 353 total posts 6 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 61 total posts 5 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 187 total posts 3 posts
- Nordling Reviews TRANSCENDENCE! -- 206 total posts 3 posts