Don’t give The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day any of that intelligent life crap, just give it something to blow up!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
To be completely honest I’m not the biggest fan of John Carpenter’s Dark Star. I think it’s a fun little first-time movie, obviously a love letter to Kubrick’s 2001 and Dr. Strangelove, but for me Assault on Precinct 13 is where the John Carpenter I was obsessed with as a young man (and still kind of am) was born.
Dark Star is a fascinating watch, though, thanks to being the first thing out of the game from Carpenter and that first thing also happened to be a collaboration with Dan O’Bannon who later went on to write Alien and bring Return of the Living Dead to the world (thus making the world a much, much better place). I mean, who can hate a movie where a beach ball with feet wanders around?
Today’s picture is of an impossibly young John Carpenter on the set of Dark Star and it is kind of amazing to see that little skinny kid that would soon usher in a new wave of horror films with a little low budget slasher flick. Enjoy!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s pic also comes from a movie featuring aliens, although it’s probably not the one you think its going to be.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:21 p.m. CST
by wattos new hat
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:22 p.m. CST
Loved Dark Star, a great mix of sci fi and humor. P.S. First!
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:24 p.m. CST
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:27 p.m. CST
Feb. 2, 2012, midnight CST
by Patrick Hines
a young Severus Snape.
Feb. 2, 2012, 12:16 a.m. CST
This and a Boy and His Dog, they were always playing on the multiplex midnites on the weekend. This was also a real convention fan darling back in the day when everthing was on 16mm and you'd get this along with the Trek blooper reels, some Mike Jitlov shorts, Bambi vs. Godzilla, and then one these early 70's sci-fi gems for the main event, along with Soylent Green, Omega Man, Silent Running, Andromeda Strain or some shit like that.
Feb. 2, 2012, 12:20 a.m. CST
I just thought of that and it cracked me up all over again...
Feb. 2, 2012, 12:36 a.m. CST
Conventions back in the day were something special. Now everyone goes. They are not as fun anymore. Bambi vs Godzilla and Star Trek bloopers were some of my favs.
Feb. 2, 2012, 12:37 a.m. CST
If you know a bit about the production of DARK STAR, you'll know what I mean.
Feb. 2, 2012, 2:22 a.m. CST
Yeah, good stuff.
Feb. 2, 2012, 2:30 a.m. CST
Feb. 2, 2012, 2:41 a.m. CST
Dark Star is an awesome movie. Dan O'Bannon was the shit and this was sci-fi comedy at it's finest.
Feb. 2, 2012, 3:17 a.m. CST
Feb. 2, 2012, 3:42 a.m. CST
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:09 a.m. CST
The song Benson Arizona is great
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:24 a.m. CST
MOON was close in a *I'm debating my existence with a computer* way. I would remake it with a *MAD MAX meets ALIEN* sensibility, with multiple spacecraft trying to earn the best commission to destroy the most inert worlds to harvest their atomized resources. You would have *suit* crews and *hippie* crews and *ex-con* crews all competing sort of like COWBOY BEBOP to get the most interstellar bounty. Of course, you would save the most popular actors for the hippie/slacker ship, semi-marketing it to the Judd Apatow crowd. Top-notch VFX would be a must, so there you go HOLLYSUCK — rip me off!
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:25 a.m. CST
It's cooler when you can actually spell the title.
Feb. 2, 2012, 9:43 a.m. CST
by Royston Lodge
Was Dark Star shot with a Scoopic?!?! If true, that's pretty crazy.
Feb. 2, 2012, 9:52 a.m. CST
Yea, the book Shock Value is an interesting look into the relationship between Carpenter and O'Bannon.
But Dark Star, to me, is like Lucas' student THX film. Like THX1138, the theatrical version, I think of Assault as Carpenter's true first film. (yea I know that Dark Star got a theatrical release, and THX was a student film, but whatever)
Feb. 2, 2012, 11:26 a.m. CST
by Jack Desmondi
Feb. 2, 2012, 1:51 p.m. CST
Feb. 2, 2012, 6:12 p.m. CST
by Mr Lucas
Sgt. Pinback's uniform doesn't fit me.
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 249 total posts 169 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 97 total posts 97 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 95 total posts 95 posts
- Ohmygod Ohmygod, you guys! The Godzilla trailer! -- 651 total posts 94 posts
- WORLD WAR Z 2 is a go and Paramount has found a director to helm the sequel. -- 146 total posts 75 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 71 total posts 71 posts
- Trailer for LEGENDS OF OZ: DOROTHY'S RETURN! -- 133 total posts 59 posts
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Teaser Posters Portend The Arrival Of Next Week's Trailer!! -- 55 total posts 55 posts
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 31 total posts 31 posts
- ‘That Seat Is Taken!!’ The Return Of AGENTS OF SHIELD!! ANARCHY, MOONSHINERS & INCOME Finales!! Galactic Pioneers On FUTURESCAPE!! New TROPHY, AWKWARD, STORAGE, NCIS, LOSER, VOICE, FIRE, TOSH!! Tom Hanks On KIMMEL!! Michelle Dockery On FALLON!! Lizzy Caplan On CHELSEA!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 70 total posts 29 posts