ART IS... THE PERMANENT REVOLUTION trailer hits
Hey folks, Harry here... The trailer for a documentary, that those of us that love Art and Politics and how the two have historically been entwined, well... wonder no longer. This film is opening in New York on March 2nd - and hopefully it'll be seen outside of there, beyond that. I'd love to see MONDO do an event for this with each of the artists in it. That'd be so cool. Check it out...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:50 p.m. CST
by chad kuhns
Given all the mini revolutions going on around the world these days, it's good to see something that looks like it will be a quality documentary on the original revolution. If it wasn't for art, and it's ability to form and change opinion, I doubt this site or any of us talkbackers would be who we are today.
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:51 p.m. CST
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:55 p.m. CST
by chad kuhns
Art seems to be the one thing politicians don't want to debate or promise to re-vitalize. It's a damn shame.
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:29 p.m. CST
right to my facebook page to share with my artist friends
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:39 p.m. CST
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:42 p.m. CST
Remember that painting of "Change" with Obama that became a modern masterpiece? The only thing it reminded me of was the personality cults that surround dictators... paintings of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Kim Jung Il... Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. Anyway art is important. This is why your tax dollars should be spent supporting the national endowment of the arts so we can have masterpieces like "Piss Christ." Not only should the guy have the freedom to produce "Piss Christ," but the government needs to take money from you to support him.
Jan. 31, 2012, 11:55 p.m. CST
Art is important as long as it recognizes that *right* and *left* can be equally toxic. e.g. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:01 a.m. CST
i want violence
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:06 a.m. CST
Good thought process there, spire_walk. You're being facetious, I see. And, not being remotely facetious, art is always from the left, huh? Get real, man. Art is any production of human creativity. Creativity itself being the very thing that evolutionary biologists are saying gave rise to human sentience, thus self-awareness, thus our recorded existence. I don't think these things have anything to do with an American left slant. Throughout history there's art that's sprung up on both sides. It's a human need. And I'll take "Piss Christ" any day of the week if it means the mental freedom of humanity is preserved. Thank you very much.
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:06 a.m. CST
I've never slagged Harry in 13 years on this site, but the grammar issue has GOT to be intentional at this point...
and I'm starting to think it's supposed to be some kind of statement he's trying to make about George Lucas' indifference to the audience in the PT/Indy4??? Am I giving him too much credit?
Feb. 1, 2012, 3:26 a.m. CST
I'm sure Piss Christ would exist whether or not my tax dollars go into the National Endowment of the Arts to fund it. See, problem is, the state should be supportive of the arts, but it really should not be taking tax money from people, like Christians, etc, to fund exhibits like Piss Christ. It no longer becomes daring and revolutionary when the state is the one funding Piss Christ exhibits. We had art in the middle ages, and renaissance and they didn't use tax dollars to support it. Artists had patrons. So when people get pissed off about arts, it's either the state trying to censor it, or it's a group of offended tax payers who have to pay for Piss Christ. Like marriage, art, and religion, the government should stay the fuck out of it. Don't fund faith based initiatives, and don't fund shitty art (or pissy in this case).
Feb. 1, 2012, 6:32 a.m. CST
that these money will go to the development of better weapons which will be used to kill children in Middle East,instead of funding Art Exhibitions where they pee on Christ or eat dog turds. It's all in the mind and the perception of reality.
Feb. 1, 2012, 6:41 a.m. CST
Feb. 1, 2012, 7:27 a.m. CST
I think the notion of being indifferent to the audience can only really make sense when presenting or justifying one's OWN work. The fact that harry would present the work of another with the same lack of focus or clarity that he carries for his own brand of communication is just insulting.
insulting and indifferent to the filmmakers, that is. If I were the filmmakers, I would ask aicn to clean up the way they presented such a cool looking film. I don't think harry's gummy-tongue gobilty-gook intro does much for the promotion of the work. just saying.
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:49 a.m. CST
by Royston Lodge
Wow, that is artsy.
Feb. 1, 2012, 1:30 p.m. CST
Can't wait!! AMAZING!!!!!!
Feb. 1, 2012, 8:03 p.m. CST
killik, I don't have to PRETEND my taxes pay to kill children -- since the government funds Planned Parenthood, I KNOW they do
Feb. 2, 2012, 4:36 p.m. CST
- The Next STAR TREK!! Variety Says ATTACK THE BLOCK’s Joe Cornish Is Not Directing And Alex Kurtzman Is Not Writing!! -- 52 total posts 52 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 456 total posts 29 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 498 total posts 28 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 224 total posts 15 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 36 total posts 6 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 190 total posts 6 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 70 total posts 3 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 137 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post