Who will warn Will Robinson now? Dick Tufeld, the voice of LOST IN SPACE's Robot is silenced...
Hey folks, Harry here... The sad news that Dick Tufeld, the voice of LOST IN SPACE's B9 - that awesome looking robot that followed Will Robinson around - and was often a brilliant straight bot to Jonathan Harris' cowardly & selfish plots. How many times have we flailed our arms about while shouting in that particular tone, "DANGER DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!" I've done that... an awful lot. In a trivia sense, I knew that Dick Tufeld was the voice of "The Robot" but I was not familiar with the whole of his work, until he passed on.
My father has collected robots my entire life, so Robot trivia is something we communicate with, but in all that time, I didn't know it was his voice narrating the MARY POPPINS trailer or that he was the voice of WALT DISNEY'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR. Dick Tufeld also shared my birthday, December 11th! I had no idea I shared my birthday with the voice of the ROBOT from LOST IN SPACE! That rules!!! He was ever present audibly on Irwin Allen's VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, TIME TUNNEL and the most beloved, LOST IN SPACE.
I for one will continue to hear the voice of Dick Tufeld as I endlessly enjoy the nostalgic joy of his work. I have wanted a full size B9, my entire life. Now that I know we share a birthday... I can begin the process of wanting it desperately from here on. Watch this tribute to LOST IN SPACE and discover it focuses quite a bit on our collective favorite TV robot of all time!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 26, 2012, 8:42 p.m. CST
Jan. 26, 2012, 8:47 p.m. CST
He was a giant in television. . . a giant I tell you. His passing--um Tufeld right?-- makes me realize why a nobody like Art Carney was never acknowledge here when he passed years ago.
Jan. 26, 2012, 8:50 p.m. CST
Jan. 26, 2012, 8:53 p.m. CST
"By your command".
Jan. 26, 2012, 9:17 p.m. CST
Jan. 26, 2012, 9:24 p.m. CST
Jan. 26, 2012, 9:25 p.m. CST
and I mean that in the nicest sense.
Jan. 26, 2012, 9:37 p.m. CST
AKA Juan Epstein. "Welcome Back, Kotter" became very dated very fast, but when I was in elementary school, it was THE cool show for a season or two. Hegyes was only 60 years old...
Jan. 26, 2012, 10:42 p.m. CST
I mean come on, he was in The Final Countdown...
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:39 p.m. CST
We baby boomers may be a minority on this group- however, the LIS Robot was a big part of childhood for many of us.
Jan. 26, 2012, 11:42 p.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 12:23 a.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 1:45 a.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 2:49 a.m. CST
by Roger Moon
but we didn't listen
Jan. 27, 2012, 5:01 a.m. CST
by Carl's hat
Tufield now tumbles ..somewhere along the infinite corridors of time. Thanks for the Robot Mr Tufield.
Jan. 27, 2012, 5:44 a.m. CST
All I thought was that Dr. Smith was a weird, cowardly man. I love the exchanges between him and the macho, homophobic Don - these were classic!
Jan. 27, 2012, 6:51 a.m. CST
For an added fee, Mr Tufeld himself would record several personal messages on it for you.
Jan. 27, 2012, 7:41 a.m. CST
True story. That's how little Brian Cox made his break into show biz. He said one day it was just too hot in that fucking robot that he jumped out the entry hatch and went on a tirade and as Hollywood legend goes Orson Welles was on the set that day and said "Young man you have got it."
Jan. 27, 2012, 8:24 a.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 8:30 a.m. CST
Welcome to heaven gentlemen. I am to transport you to the residence. If you do not speak English, I am monitored with over 487 languages along with their various dialects and sub-tungs. For your convenience I am monitored to respond to the name Robby.
Jan. 27, 2012, 9:20 a.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 9:46 a.m. CST
Then the other kids on the playground would beat the crap out of him.
Jan. 27, 2012, 1:08 p.m. CST
he didn't see the Danger High Voltage sign.
Jan. 27, 2012, 2:30 p.m. CST
Jan. 27, 2012, 4:47 p.m. CST
God, that's annoying.
Jan. 27, 2012, 8:15 p.m. CST
His introductions/narrations to Irwin Allen's shows were spine tingling: "... somewhere along the infinite corridors of time." I wonder if guys like this get work anymore. Most previews for movies have no narrator, and voices in animated features tend to be movie stars for name recognition. Of course, the robot was/is great. He'll be missed.
Jan. 28, 2012, 8:04 a.m. CST
by Grammaton Cleric Binks
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 382 total posts 16 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 21 total posts 4 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 627 total posts 4 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 97 total posts 2 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 1 total post 1 post