Hercules Says FX’s New Animated Sitcom UNSUPERVISED Proves Decidedly Unsuper!!
An animated series about two teens with no parental guidance, “Unsupervised” is a the brainchild of writer-actor David Hornsby, who also wrote and starred in the horrible (and quickly cancelled) Thursday night CBS sitcom “How To Be A Gentleman.”
“Unsupervised” is also a terrible show, and does itself no favors by arriving so soon after the triumphant return of Mike Judge’s much, much better “Beavis and Butt-head” over on MTV. Big talents like Justin Long, Fred Armisen, Maria Bamford and Kristin Bell lend their voices to little avail.
... mostly off-putting ... you can’t help thinking that “Unsupervised” would have been less expensive, and maybe funnier, if it had brought Mike Judge over from “Beavis and Butt-Head” and had him do all the voices.
... doesn’t explore emotional story threads. It’s mainly a “Beavis and Butt-head” echo, which seems extra repetitive ...
... Alas, there's no sophisticated humor in FX's "Unsupervised," which plays like a less witty "Beavis and Butt-head." …
... just a sad waste …
... Given the resumes of all involved, one would expect the show to have more bite. ...
... Although light on laughs, with its spare design and limited animation "Unsupervised" does create a reasonably cohesive, grimy little world …
10:30 p.m. Thursday. FX.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Jan. 19, 2012, 6:32 a.m. CST
That explains the it's always sunny connection they've pimped in the ads
Jan. 19, 2012, 7:14 a.m. CST
The only people who do and should find it funny are some or my delinquent students.
Jan. 19, 2012, 7:42 a.m. CST
Jan. 19, 2012, 7:51 a.m. CST
I wish they'd do character and show designs that didn't look like a 12-year-old did them.
Jan. 19, 2012, 8:40 a.m. CST
by Truxton Spangler
Jan. 19, 2012, 8:55 a.m. CST
But it's still the top network for original programming. I'm looking at you, big three.
Jan. 19, 2012, 11:29 a.m. CST
Jan. 19, 2012, 1:14 p.m. CST
double up the season order for this year instead of making other animated shows (or attempts at them)
Jan. 19, 2012, 5:01 p.m. CST
David Hornsby manages to not be funny even on Its Always Sunny. He's always the worst part of any episode he's in.
It's no wonder he keeps pushing out crap.
Jan. 20, 2012, 7:38 a.m. CST
At least where voice-over is concerned. Big talent = Tress MacNeill or Billy West or Maurice LaMarche, the people you listed are pretty drab, vocally (except for Maria, who sounds like a cross between a nervous old cat and a human).
The myth of David Hornsby perpetuates. This show was a complete waste of time. Rickety Cricket is only marginally funny within a show that is quickly running out of ideas. This animated series has absolutely nothing to offer. Even Alan Gregory and the untimely Napoleon Dynamite had an edge, this thing is like flavorless Jell-o desperatley trying to get your attention. Hope the staff is looking forward to working on How to Be an Unemployed Gentleman.
Jan. 20, 2012, 8:07 p.m. CST
Couldn't they have had a Mac reference so we could recognize his voice?
Jan. 23, 2012, 12:06 p.m. CST
by Bass Ackwards
Someone must have signed off on it not realizing that both Napolean Dynamite and Beavis would be on tv in animated form as well. Of maybe that's exactly why they did sign off on it.
Jan. 23, 2012, 6:53 p.m. CST
is awesome, and consistently funny. It never tries to be something it's not and just lays out things as they are....that the both of them are retarded. Unsupervised tries to get the audience to realize that not having good parents or role models in your life makes you dumb and useless. I liked the first episode but its subliminal BS at its worst. Right up there with every appearance of Military, Police, or Firefighters on TV always being branded with the word "hero"...its sad.
- Capone loved the pure joy of discovering the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY!!! -- 411 total posts 410 posts
- Trailer for MUDBLOODS - Documentary About Real Life Muggle Quidditch Players! -- 247 total posts 151 posts
- International BIRDMAN Trailer Is Here!!! -- 178 total posts 50 posts
- Copernicus explores The Science of Star Wars! -- 40 total posts 40 posts
- Will Ferrell to play Russ Meyer in RUSS & ROGER GO BEYOND! -- 37 total posts 37 posts
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 298 total posts 36 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 461 total posts 32 posts
- EXCLUSIVE: Who's the voice of that stunning stinger character after the credits of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY? -- 25 total posts 25 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 310 total posts 23 posts
- Disney Taking The Ol' Bait-And-Switch Route With Teaser For INTO THE WOODS! -- 118 total posts 22 posts