Live in Chicago? Capone has a limited number of seats to an advanced screening of THE ARTIST!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
Certainly one of the most talked about films of the year since its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival is THE ARTIST, the latest work from the director-actor combo of Michel Hazanavicius and Jean Dujardin (who won Best Actor at Cannes), the pair that brought us the great OSS 117 secret agent parodies. THE ARTIST is a more serious, but no less entertaining work that has been getting a slew of great reviews and just today led the Golden Globes nominations with six, including best actor, best director, best actress (the lovely Berenice Bejo), best screenplay, and, of course, best film (musical or comedy).
Part of what makes THE ARTIST such an unusual and worthy effort is that it tells the story of the golden age of Hollywood as if it were a film from the era--a black-and-white, silent film shot in Los Angeles despite it being a French production. It's a beautiful, touching movie that features some fun cameos from the likes of John Goodman, James Cromwell, Malcolm McDowell, Missi Pyle, and Penelope Ann Miller. And I feel relatively certain that as I finish compiling my Best of 2011 list, it will end up somewhere in the top 10.
I've got 40 reserved seats to give away to an advanced Chicago screening of THE ARTIST on Monday, December 19 at 6:00pm (please note the early start time) at a theater in downtown Chicago (the exact location will only be given to those who win). Here's how you win tickets:
Send me an email at ArtistChicago@aintitcoolmail.com (please note the new email address) with the subject line "Silent Films Rock!" (exactly like that). In the body of the email, I need your Name, whether or not you're bringing a Guest (guests' names are not required), and the answer to the following question (read carefully): "What is your favorite film of the Silent Era, and why?" I'm looking for title and your reason for choosing it. Keep your responses BRIEF--limit it to 50 words (no matter how tempted you are to go over the limit). People with the most interesting and original answers win. Winners will be notified very soon.
Although this is not an exclusive AICN event, winners' seats will be held until 15 minute before showtime (5:45pm), at which time any empty seats will be given away. So you should arrive early to make sure you get in and get a good seat. If you can't arrive early, don't enter this contest. If there's even the slightest chance you or your guest will have to back out of attending if you do win, don't enter. If you have a job that might make you late or unable to attend, or an ill/pregnant relative, or a temperamental significant other, or a scratchy throat, do not enter.
Good luck, everyone! And thanks to The Weinstein Company for giving us this very fun screening.
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:55 a.m. CST
the talkies have run their course
Dec. 15, 2011, 1:09 p.m. CST
The sound gimmick is OVER, get over it.
Dec. 15, 2011, 1:20 p.m. CST
by John Hughes
He'll pay for the movie.
Dec. 15, 2011, 3:17 p.m. CST
by Andrew Coleman
I really loved it. Totally deserving the praise it is getting.
Dec. 15, 2011, 5:52 p.m. CST
This Prince documentary sucks.
- Alex Kurtzman (as in Kurtzman and Orci) to direct the MUMMY reboot...yay?!! -- 220 total posts 121 posts
- New Trailer For Christopher Nolan's INTERSTELLAR Is Here! Let's Light This Candle! -- 344 total posts 99 posts
- Jeremy Talks GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, ANT-MAN And Comic Con With Kevin Feige! -- 197 total posts 59 posts
- First Poster for THE HATEFUL EIGHT Arrives, Confirming 2015 Release! -- 171 total posts 48 posts
- HBO Greenlights New Class Warfare Miniseries From THE WIRE Mastermind David Simon!! -- 82 total posts 46 posts
- Trailer for NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 3...yeah, you're welcome! -- 207 total posts 46 posts
- Rest In Peace Makeup Legend Dick Smith -- 26 total posts 26 posts
- NBC Hires A PILF To Play Peter Pan Opposite Walken’s Captain Hook!! -- 38 total posts 22 posts
- Is a New TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE Film in the Works? -- 49 total posts 20 posts
- Find Out How E.T. Nearly Killed Video Games In Trailer For Zak Penn's Documentary, ATARI: GAME OVER! -- 374 total posts 18 posts