L.A. Readers! Behold THE WRIGHT STUFF III! Dec. 9 - 16 At The New Beverly! Amazing Films On 35mm And Special Guests Galore!
I envy people who've never seen MODERN TIMES, TO BE OR NOT TO BE ('42) and THE BAD NEWS BEARS. Why? Because one day, they'll get to see these classics for the first time.
This is the basic idea behind Edgar Wright's screening series THE WRIGHT STUFF III, which begins on December 9th at The New Beverly. Whereas Wright's last two mini-fests have celebrated films he loves, this time he'll be kicking back and watching eighteen wonderful movies he's never seen. And as with the last two series, he'll have a bunch of special guests on hand to help him introduce these films.
Tickets are on sale now at the New Beverly's website, and every night is a must. It'll all get off to a rousing start on Friday the 9th with the rock-and-roll pairing of Frank Tashlin's THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and Allan Arkush's rarely screened (and unavailable on DVD/Blu) GET CRAZY (capped off by the monthly midnight of Wright's sensational SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD). And it'll draw to a dour close with the noir-ish double of Robert Culp's HICKEY & BOGGS and Ivan Passer's amazing CUTTER'S WAY (which, like Wright, I read about in the second volume of Danny Peary's essential CULT MOVIES). And then Wright will screen W.D. Richter's THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION at midnight, so you won't go home all depressed.
In between, it'll be an eclectic mix of classic clowns, elegiac/revisionist westerns, Dr. Seuss, Kurosawa, Cagney and other unseen-by-Wright delights. I'm especially thrilled he's paired Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE with Michael Ritchie's masterpiece THE BAD NEWS BEARS - if only because they're both top ten comedies for me. And you will absolutely want to be at the Bev on Wednesday, December 14th when the great Peter Bogdanovich joins Wright to discuss John Ford's THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (which will be followed by Sam Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY).
For the whole lineup, head over to Wright's website (where he'll also post updates on which guests will be dropping by). And since we are all incredibly fortunate to get to see these movies via beautiful film prints, I implore you to sign Julia Marchese's petition to save 35mm exhibition. If the studios have their way, repertory houses will be stuck screening crappy digital transfers in lieu of prints. I wrote about this last week, and the estimable Lars Nilsen has also chimed in. I'm not sure we can change the studios' minds, but at least we can make our voices heard.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 30, 2011, 12:16 a.m. CST
by Tom Vidovich
Nov. 30, 2011, 2:46 a.m. CST
So there! Great job on "Wright Stuff II" back in Feb by Wright. And it was a whole lotta fun. Highly recommend if you are in town to see it.
Nov. 30, 2011, 3:03 a.m. CST
That's likely the only way I'll ever see it, as it does not play in rotation on my satellite package, and I'm pretty much done with DVDs.
Nov. 30, 2011, 3:40 a.m. CST
by Mister McClane
Great great film. Criminally under-seen.
Nov. 30, 2011, 5 a.m. CST
Oh, it's Beverly Hills? Really? Kidding You are watching a fucking movie. That is all. Get over yourselves, fucking seriously. Have f
Nov. 30, 2011, 5:01 a.m. CST
Nov. 30, 2011, 2:09 p.m. CST
by Quake II
In fact, the channel THIS shows a lot of cult movies that many people may have never heard of. They also mix in a lot of crap, but oh well. THIS reminds me a lot of The Movie Channel circa 1985. I know they have rights to the MGM library.
Nov. 30, 2011, 8:34 p.m. CST
Dec. 2, 2011, 8:04 a.m. CST
...and was glad I caught it! I love those movies from the 40's when girls were 'dames', guys were 'Joe's and 'palookas'. The scene when Cagney's munching on a chicken leg and plugs the guy in the trunk of the car is classic. "How's it goin' in there? Gettin' a little stuffy? Lemme give you some air!" Awesome.
- Is DOCTOR STRANGE coming to us in July 2016?!! -- 378 total posts 182 posts
- Meet Bigfoot in this New Clip from EXISTS! -- 170 total posts 75 posts
- 3rd PICKS & PEEKS of Sept 2014: Crichton Blus, THE PARTY, Bloody Entertainment, GODZILLA 3D & More!!! -- 653 total posts 41 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 36 total posts 36 posts
- Capone credits Dan Stevens' performance as the key to THE GUEST being all kinds of twisted goodness!!! -- 33 total posts 33 posts
- More Details On The Upcoming And Promising ALIEN: ISOLATION Game!! 'Survivor Mode’!! -- 104 total posts 29 posts
- DESTINY ‘Raids’ Have Begun!! More Events Coming Soon!! -- 104 total posts 27 posts
- Fox, Home Of GOTHAM, Makes Pilot Commitment To Project Based On DC Comics’ LUCIFER!! -- 86 total posts 27 posts
- Are you ready for THE GHOST DIMENSION!?! The new PARANORMAL ACTIVITY film gets a title and a release date!! -- 98 total posts 23 posts
- Hercules Says The Big Mystery Is How Anybody At NBC Thought It Was A Good Idea To Greenlight THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA!! -- 37 total posts 22 posts