L.A. Readers! Behold THE WRIGHT STUFF III! Dec. 9 - 16 At The New Beverly! Amazing Films On 35mm And Special Guests Galore!
I envy people who've never seen MODERN TIMES, TO BE OR NOT TO BE ('42) and THE BAD NEWS BEARS. Why? Because one day, they'll get to see these classics for the first time.
This is the basic idea behind Edgar Wright's screening series THE WRIGHT STUFF III, which begins on December 9th at The New Beverly. Whereas Wright's last two mini-fests have celebrated films he loves, this time he'll be kicking back and watching eighteen wonderful movies he's never seen. And as with the last two series, he'll have a bunch of special guests on hand to help him introduce these films.
Tickets are on sale now at the New Beverly's website, and every night is a must. It'll all get off to a rousing start on Friday the 9th with the rock-and-roll pairing of Frank Tashlin's THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and Allan Arkush's rarely screened (and unavailable on DVD/Blu) GET CRAZY (capped off by the monthly midnight of Wright's sensational SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD). And it'll draw to a dour close with the noir-ish double of Robert Culp's HICKEY & BOGGS and Ivan Passer's amazing CUTTER'S WAY (which, like Wright, I read about in the second volume of Danny Peary's essential CULT MOVIES). And then Wright will screen W.D. Richter's THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI ACROSS THE 8TH DIMENSION at midnight, so you won't go home all depressed.
In between, it'll be an eclectic mix of classic clowns, elegiac/revisionist westerns, Dr. Seuss, Kurosawa, Cagney and other unseen-by-Wright delights. I'm especially thrilled he's paired Lubitsch's TO BE OR NOT TO BE with Michael Ritchie's masterpiece THE BAD NEWS BEARS - if only because they're both top ten comedies for me. And you will absolutely want to be at the Bev on Wednesday, December 14th when the great Peter Bogdanovich joins Wright to discuss John Ford's THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (which will be followed by Sam Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY).
For the whole lineup, head over to Wright's website (where he'll also post updates on which guests will be dropping by). And since we are all incredibly fortunate to get to see these movies via beautiful film prints, I implore you to sign Julia Marchese's petition to save 35mm exhibition. If the studios have their way, repertory houses will be stuck screening crappy digital transfers in lieu of prints. I wrote about this last week, and the estimable Lars Nilsen has also chimed in. I'm not sure we can change the studios' minds, but at least we can make our voices heard.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 30, 2011, 12:16 a.m. CST
by Tom Vidovich
Nov. 30, 2011, 2:46 a.m. CST
So there! Great job on "Wright Stuff II" back in Feb by Wright. And it was a whole lotta fun. Highly recommend if you are in town to see it.
Nov. 30, 2011, 3:03 a.m. CST
That's likely the only way I'll ever see it, as it does not play in rotation on my satellite package, and I'm pretty much done with DVDs.
Nov. 30, 2011, 3:40 a.m. CST
by Mister McClane
Great great film. Criminally under-seen.
Nov. 30, 2011, 5 a.m. CST
Oh, it's Beverly Hills? Really? Kidding You are watching a fucking movie. That is all. Get over yourselves, fucking seriously. Have f
Nov. 30, 2011, 5:01 a.m. CST
Nov. 30, 2011, 2:09 p.m. CST
by Quake II
In fact, the channel THIS shows a lot of cult movies that many people may have never heard of. They also mix in a lot of crap, but oh well. THIS reminds me a lot of The Movie Channel circa 1985. I know they have rights to the MGM library.
Nov. 30, 2011, 8:34 p.m. CST
Dec. 2, 2011, 8:04 a.m. CST
...and was glad I caught it! I love those movies from the 40's when girls were 'dames', guys were 'Joe's and 'palookas'. The scene when Cagney's munching on a chicken leg and plugs the guy in the trunk of the car is classic. "How's it goin' in there? Gettin' a little stuffy? Lemme give you some air!" Awesome.
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 237 total posts 123 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 245 total posts 90 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 163 total posts 85 posts
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 68 total posts 68 posts
- This Trailer For The New SHAUN THE SHEEP Movie Doesn’t Look Too Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!! -- 38 total posts 38 posts
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 231 total posts 34 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 134 total posts 32 posts
- AICN HORROR looks at EXTRATERRESTRIAL! SAVAGELAND! REVELATION TRAIL! THE POSESSION OF MICHAEL KING! THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE! SLOPPY THE PSYCHOTIC! MY FAIR ZOMBIE! THE FORBIDDEN GIRL! MOEBIUS! TWILIGHT ZONE 1985! SUFFER THE CHILDREN Book Review! & cast your vote for PRESIDENT WOLFMAN! -- 24 total posts 24 posts
-- 53 total posts 23 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 20 total posts 20 posts