AICN COMICS Q&@: Ambush Bug talks with Writer/Artist Tim Seeley about HATCHET/SLASH, a new HACK/SLASH ANNUAL starring HATCHET’s Victor Crowley (in stores this week)!!!
@’s by HATCHET/SLASH writer Tim Seeley!!!
AMBUSH BUG (BUG): HACK/SLASH is crossing over with HATCHET's Victor Crowley. How did this collaboration come about?
TIM SEELEY (TS): I met Adam Green through mutual friends a few times, and I liked the guy and his work. One day it occurred to me that I'd be an idiot to pass up the chance to have Cassie go up against Victor Crowley. So I literally just emailed Adam and asked. Easy Peezy.
BUG: So tell me a little about the story leading into this ANNUAL. What has Cassie Hack been up to lately?
TS: The main series has put Cassie and Vlad through the ringer lately. We've set them against new slashers, and switched out the supporting cast too. But HATCHET/SLASH kind of stands on its own. It's really a more "classic" Hack/Slash story.
BUG: Are you a fan of the HATCHET films?
TS: For sure. I even had the deluxe DVD of the movie with the Hatchet keychain when it first came out. As much a I dig HATCHET, though, I always recommend Adam's other film, FROZEN, whenever I get the chance.
BUG: Seems serial killers are having a bit of a comeback over the last year in horror films with HATCHET, LAID TO REST, and SCREAM all having new sequels. That's got to be good news for Cassie. Why do you think slasher films continue to be popular?
TS: I don't think they ever went away. If anything, HATCHET represented a return to traditional American slasher movie form, but slasher films are always popular. They're cheap to make, and at their core, they appeal to the kind of people who are most likely to go see a movie in the theater: teenagers. That whole sex and death thing is irresistible to the under 20 crowd. I think film studios like to act like they don't rely on such base material, but whole companies were built off the backs of Freddy, Chucky and Jigsaw.
BUG: Were there any guidelines or restrictions given by Green regarding his Victor Crowley character?
TS: Just that our story had to fit in roughly between Hatchet 2 and 3.
BUG: Will any other of the new slashers be showing up in HACK/SLASH any time soon--maybe ChromeSkull from LAID TO REST or Babyface from HILLS RUN RED or even the killer from MALEVOLENCE/BEREAVEMENT?
TS: I'm always up for talking about it! I think we could have a great time with some of those characters. One of the great things about Hatchet is that Adam owns it. So the paperwork was absolutely nil. The more film slashers we can deal with that don't involve corporations and licensing departments, the better.
BUG: What's next for HACK/SLASH--if they survive their encounter with Victor Crowley, that is?
TS: The ongoing series keeps on going...we're in the middle of "Interdimensional Women's Prison Breakout" and after that we head into out giant monster/slasher mash up "Monster Baiting."
BUG: Last chance: why should folks be sure to pick up HATCHET/SLASH: HACK/SLASH ANNUAL #3, and when can they get their grubby mitts on it?
TS: It’ll be out in late November! If you want a copy, tell your comic book retailer now, so they can hold one for you. The book will probably sell out!
BUG: Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
TS: Thanks, Mark!
BUG: Look for HATCHET/SLASH: HACK/SLASH ANNUAL #3 out late November from Image Comics!
Ambush Bug is Mark L. Miller, original @$$Hole / wordslinger / reviewer / co-editor of AICN Comics for over nine years. Mark is also a regular writer for FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND and will be releasing FAMOUS MONSTERS first ever comic book miniseries LUNA in October (co-written by Martin Fisher with art by Tim Rees) You can pre-order it here! Support a Bug by checking out his comics (click on the covers to purchase)!
THE DEATHSPORT GAMES’ Facebook Page
FAMOUS MONSTERS PRESENTS LUNA: ORDER OF THE WEREWOLF’s Facebook Page
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 29, 2011, 5:16 p.m. CST
So you can get the name of the character right in the article header but can't be fucking arsed to go back and correct the name in the article itself? Fuck sake, the level of journalism on this site borders amateur some times. Like, far too often! It's Victor Crowley, the latter a horror-nod to Alistair of the same surname, chump!
Nov. 30, 2011, 8:36 p.m. CST
Dec. 6, 2011, 8:55 a.m. CST
- Cyborg is confirmed to appear in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN, and we know who's going to play him! -- 285 total posts 48 posts
- UPDATED (17:15) with image of the cast in character! Meet Jon M. Chu's JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS!! -- 106 total posts 14 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN Is Now Called... -- 222 total posts 6 posts
- Trailer for [REC]4: APOCALYPSE Has Arrived! -- 4 total posts 4 posts
- AICN HORROR talks with Thommy Hutson about Kickstarting his new book, the definitive A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET companion, NEVER SLEEP AGAIN! -- 95 total posts 3 posts
- 4th Week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: SORCERER, GET CARTER, PAWNBROKER, Slasher horror & more!!! -- 177 total posts 3 posts
- Behold The Greatness Of IMAX's GODZILLA Poster!! -- 134 total posts 3 posts
- Here's A Trailer For AS ABOVE SO BELOW!! Freaky Madness In The Catacombs Of Paris!! -- 30 total posts 2 posts
- 100 Lucky Ones will see AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 here in Austin on April 30th! -- 455 total posts 2 posts