AICN COMICS Q&@: Ambush Bug talks with Writer/Artist Tim Seeley about HATCHET/SLASH, a new HACK/SLASH ANNUAL starring HATCHET’s Victor Crowley (in stores this week)!!!
@’s by HATCHET/SLASH writer Tim Seeley!!!
AMBUSH BUG (BUG): HACK/SLASH is crossing over with HATCHET's Victor Crowley. How did this collaboration come about?
TIM SEELEY (TS): I met Adam Green through mutual friends a few times, and I liked the guy and his work. One day it occurred to me that I'd be an idiot to pass up the chance to have Cassie go up against Victor Crowley. So I literally just emailed Adam and asked. Easy Peezy.
BUG: So tell me a little about the story leading into this ANNUAL. What has Cassie Hack been up to lately?
TS: The main series has put Cassie and Vlad through the ringer lately. We've set them against new slashers, and switched out the supporting cast too. But HATCHET/SLASH kind of stands on its own. It's really a more "classic" Hack/Slash story.
BUG: Are you a fan of the HATCHET films?
TS: For sure. I even had the deluxe DVD of the movie with the Hatchet keychain when it first came out. As much a I dig HATCHET, though, I always recommend Adam's other film, FROZEN, whenever I get the chance.
BUG: Seems serial killers are having a bit of a comeback over the last year in horror films with HATCHET, LAID TO REST, and SCREAM all having new sequels. That's got to be good news for Cassie. Why do you think slasher films continue to be popular?
TS: I don't think they ever went away. If anything, HATCHET represented a return to traditional American slasher movie form, but slasher films are always popular. They're cheap to make, and at their core, they appeal to the kind of people who are most likely to go see a movie in the theater: teenagers. That whole sex and death thing is irresistible to the under 20 crowd. I think film studios like to act like they don't rely on such base material, but whole companies were built off the backs of Freddy, Chucky and Jigsaw.
BUG: Were there any guidelines or restrictions given by Green regarding his Victor Crowley character?
TS: Just that our story had to fit in roughly between Hatchet 2 and 3.
BUG: Will any other of the new slashers be showing up in HACK/SLASH any time soon--maybe ChromeSkull from LAID TO REST or Babyface from HILLS RUN RED or even the killer from MALEVOLENCE/BEREAVEMENT?
TS: I'm always up for talking about it! I think we could have a great time with some of those characters. One of the great things about Hatchet is that Adam owns it. So the paperwork was absolutely nil. The more film slashers we can deal with that don't involve corporations and licensing departments, the better.
BUG: What's next for HACK/SLASH--if they survive their encounter with Victor Crowley, that is?
TS: The ongoing series keeps on going...we're in the middle of "Interdimensional Women's Prison Breakout" and after that we head into out giant monster/slasher mash up "Monster Baiting."
BUG: Last chance: why should folks be sure to pick up HATCHET/SLASH: HACK/SLASH ANNUAL #3, and when can they get their grubby mitts on it?
TS: It’ll be out in late November! If you want a copy, tell your comic book retailer now, so they can hold one for you. The book will probably sell out!
BUG: Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
TS: Thanks, Mark!
BUG: Look for HATCHET/SLASH: HACK/SLASH ANNUAL #3 out late November from Image Comics!
Ambush Bug is Mark L. Miller, original @$$Hole / wordslinger / reviewer / co-editor of AICN Comics for over nine years. Mark is also a regular writer for FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND and will be releasing FAMOUS MONSTERS first ever comic book miniseries LUNA in October (co-written by Martin Fisher with art by Tim Rees) You can pre-order it here! Support a Bug by checking out his comics (click on the covers to purchase)!
THE DEATHSPORT GAMES’ Facebook Page
FAMOUS MONSTERS PRESENTS LUNA: ORDER OF THE WEREWOLF’s Facebook Page
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 29, 2011, 5:16 p.m. CST
So you can get the name of the character right in the article header but can't be fucking arsed to go back and correct the name in the article itself? Fuck sake, the level of journalism on this site borders amateur some times. Like, far too often! It's Victor Crowley, the latter a horror-nod to Alistair of the same surname, chump!
Nov. 30, 2011, 8:36 p.m. CST
Dec. 6, 2011, 8:55 a.m. CST
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 294 total posts 158 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 269 total posts 54 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 53 total posts 53 posts
- ‘We Got Six Bullets!!’ Sunday Brings WALKING DEAD 4.13!! -- 131 total posts 53 posts
- Hercules Says RESURRECTION Is Easily The Best Broadcast Pilot Of The 2013-14 Season And ABC’s Best Pilot In Years!! -- 60 total posts 22 posts
- New BATES, BONES, BEAST, BRAIN, BEING, BELIEVE, BITTEN!! BACHELOR & BEAST Finales!! MOTHER, MOLLY, MORTY, MAYNE, KILL, VOICE, DALLAS, SWITCHED, FOSTERS, ROADSHOW, INTELLIGENCE, STARCROSSED, FOLLOWING, WOLF, RAW, & LOST GIRL!! The Return Of THE PEOPLE’S COUCH!! Emily Mortimer On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 17 total posts 17 posts
- 'We Mustn’t Disappoint Father!!' Check Out The Size Of Dany’s Dragons In The Latest Trailer For GAME OF THRONES Season Four!! -- 15 total posts 15 posts
- Papa Vinyard's Oscar Sunday: MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934) -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 314 total posts 13 posts
- Quint thinks Nick Stoller's NEIGHBORS is heartfelt, hysterical and all kinds of messed up! SXSW 2014! -- 10 total posts 10 posts