ScoreKeeper Announces the Winners of THE THING CD Giveaway!
Greetings! ScoreKeeper here to announce the ten winners who will be receiving the new BSX Records' release of Ennio Morricone's score for THE THING (1982) which was re-recorded by Alan Howarth. All of these CDs have been autographed by Mr. Howarth who personally oversaw the recreation of this epic sci-fi score.
I think all of the winners will be very pleased to receive this. I've been listening to it for a few weeks now and it continues to impress me how faithful it is to the original recording.
Before I get attacked, here are the ten winners…
Kirk Nelson of Scottsdale, Arizona
Brett Webber of Nagano, Japan
Christian Stavrakis of Verona, Pennsylvania
Charles Rutgers of Urbana, Illinois
Andy Sharp of Pasadena, California
Dave Burke of Round Rock, Texas
Sean Doyle of Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina
Rod Whitenack of Louisville, Kentucky
John Goodman of Greenfield Park, Quebec, Canada
John Gleim of Hopkins, Minnesota
Congratulations winners! The CDs will be shipped out this week. Enjoy!
If you're on Twitter look me up...
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:01 p.m. CST
Great soundtrack, too.
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:03 p.m. CST
...But a fantastic soundtrack; minimalistic but haunting...a classic
Nov. 1, 2011, 11:17 p.m. CST
Entering contests for CDs is serious business.
Nov. 2, 2011, 12:03 a.m. CST
Nov. 2, 2011, 3:12 a.m. CST
Is it just a personal project of his or are there now legal issues with Morricone's original?
Nov. 2, 2011, 9:42 a.m. CST
And hear The Original Score again. So my tears of losing will be mixed with tears of joy to have that old treasure of Morricone himself... Too bad, it's never gotten the CD treatment...
Nov. 2, 2011, 10:07 a.m. CST
im gonna listen to the shit out of this
Nov. 2, 2011, 1:18 p.m. CST
by Darth Macchio
..but I'm good with my Varese as well. Oh yeah, it's on CD as well along with my other Varese soundtracks (Starman, Firestarter, Conan the B, etc, etc, etc) But I'd love to have the LP cover of the OST! Best thing about vinyl was those extra large album covers and packaging. Hate rap and hip-hop if you want but without it, there'd likely be no vinyl or turntables being produced at all!
Nov. 2, 2011, 1:57 p.m. CST
Man, I need a warm place to hide.
Nov. 2, 2011, 6:30 p.m. CST
I once came across what looked to be either a 'very limited edition' or 'one off' cd of the COMPLETE Morricone/Carpenter soundtrack score with EVERY piece of music from 'The Thing'! It was being offered for bids on e-bay, and if I remember correctly, was in official-looking cd packaging that also contained booklet info. on the various alternative cues scored for the movie. I wanted it so badly, but missed out on the bid for it at the time. Anyway, can you or anyone else throw any light on whether a COMPREHENSIVE release like this was ever known to have been done for this movie?
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:10 a.m. CST
If you mean this: http://bit.ly/rLb8Cf ...just search for the pertinent details and you'll find it. Oh, and *Unofficial Release from Argentina* usually means bootleg, so don't feel bad about not paying a fortune on eBay for something someone most likely downloaded themselves and burned to CD.
Nov. 3, 2011, 4:15 p.m. CST
Dec. 1, 2011, 7:01 p.m. CST
Got mine awhile ago. Really great to have this on CD at last.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:42 a.m. CST
I own both versions - I’ve had the original Morricone version (on CD) for years and know every note and I’ve also had this new Alan Howarth one on rotation for about a month or so - and I’ve got mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it’s really nice to finally hear near perfect reproductions of the four Alan Howarth/John Carpenter electronic cues (“Main Title”, “Burn It”, “Fuchs” and “To Mac’s Shack”) from the movie that have never been available before. Plus he’s split the Morricone track “Humanity II” into two parts, which fixes that jarring transition found on the original CD. BUT… this is not the original score and it is also *not even an orchestral score* like the original Varese CD. For whatever reason - and I’m guessing there was some legal issue as even the sleeve notes/cover art don’t use stills from the movie, just photoshopped ice-scapes – Alan has re-recorded the score using Logic Pro plug-ins to imitate the sound of an orchestra. On some tracks this works very well and you’d be hard pushed to tell it wasn’t the original. However, on other tracks some elements - in particularly the brass and woodwind - are quite unconvincing and you’re painfully aware you’re listening to an imitation of a human, not a real orchestra. By the way, the irony of this THE THING score being an *imitation* itself isn’t lost on me. The electronic tracks fare a bit better, but the 21st century digital versions just don’t sound exactly like the analogue originals (Howarth’s version of Morricone’s sweeping “Eternity” sounds instead like an alarm clock). If you can, track down the original of the score on CD. It *does* exist and then wait until you see this one going cheap to add the missing cues. And watch the skies…
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 488 total posts 18 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 443 total posts 16 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 189 total posts 5 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 70 total posts 3 posts
- Penultimate HOMELAND!! New BURGERS, SIMPSONS, GUY, DAD, MENTALIST, ONCE, REVENGE, BETRAYAL, TREME & SEX!! Mandela On 60 MINUTES!! AMAZING RACE Finale!! Last MENTALIST Of 2013!! BONNIE & CLYDE Premiere!! Herc's Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 33 total posts 3 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 220 total posts 3 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 211 total posts 2 posts
- LIFE OF PI Scribe David Magee to Pen New NARNIA Film! -- 137 total posts 2 posts
- Harry's 49th Picks & Peeks of 2013: OCTAGON, THE WOLVERINE, more Ninjas, Serpico & Saturn 3, NASHVILLE & more! -- 194 total posts 1 post
- The BBCs Confirm 'Time of the Doctor' DOCTOR WHO Christmas Special Transmit Times!! + New Promo Art And Pics!! -- 96 total posts 1 post