While not as entertaining as the Oswalt-infused premiere of AMC's “Talking Dead,” the New York Comic Con “Walking Dead” panel moderated by Chris Hardwick did offer some interesting tidbits:
* Comic creator Robert Kirkman says Michael Rooker’s racist amputee Merle Dixon will definitely not evolve into the comic book’s crazed The Governor.
* While Kentucky-based Kirkman was assigned to script the “Vatos” episode last season, he apparently was not actively involved in crafting the overall season-one storyline with Frank Darabont and Charles Eglee last year. In the post-Darabont era, Kirkman is has been transported to L.A. and now sits in the writer’s room.
* Piping hot 28-year-old Lauren Cohan (“Supernatural,” “Vampire Diaries,” “Chuck”) will be introduced as Maggie Greene this season. (SPOILER: In the comics, Maggie bones Glenn.)
* A female character from the comics, the katana-wielding Michonne, will soon be joining the TV version.
* Absent was any mention of ousted series mastermind Frank Darabont. Also missing was former “Crash” showrunner Glen Mazzara, who actually runs “Dead” since Darabont’s firing.
The whole thing: