AICN COMICS Q&@: Matt Adler talks with MEN OF WAR writer Ivan Brandon, plus a 5 page preview of issue #2!!!
@’s by MEN OF WAR’s Ivan Brandon!!!
MATT ADLER (MA): How did you wind up writing MEN OF WAR? Was a war comic something you wanted to do for a while, or were you approached by someone at DC with the idea?
IVAN BRANDON (IB): I was approached. I'm kind of an obsessive war nerd and it was really an interesting challenge to me.
MA: What prompted the decision to set the series in contemporary times, with Sgt. Rock's grandson, rather than making it a WWII series with the original Sgt. Rock?
IB: We're living in a period of prolonged war. It made more sense to tell a story that people could relate to directly. I have some friends who've been overseas; I wanted to tell a story for them.
MA: How different of a character is Joseph Rock from Frank Rock?
IB: He's of a different era. And he's dealing with the weight of that lineage, of being down the line from a great man who was a hero in a war that didn't throw the term around. Frank Rock was a natural. Joe Rock is younger, still learning how to be a hero.
MA: The region that Rock and his team are infiltrating isn't named, at least in the first issue. Was that a conscious choice?
IB: Yeah. The first arc is really about being overwhelmed and disoriented, about men who have to perform even in an unfamiliar environment, with dangers they can't see.
MA: We see in the first issue hints of the larger DC Universe, with Rock's team encountering a superhuman on the battlefield, which they seem to take a dim view of; are we going to see a different take on superhumans in this book than in most DCU books?
IB: A very different take, hopefully. To the soldiers in MEN OF WAR, the metahumans are weapons. Tanks, Bombers. You avoid the tank.
MA: Your artist is Tom Derenick. What does he bring to the book?
IB: Tom's really working outside of his comfort zone, I think. This is a book that's really forced him to think differently, and I think it's really elevated his game to a different place.
MA: Where does the series go from here? Will the story arcs be mostly self-contained with different missions, or are you planning a larger through-line for the series?
IB: It's hard to say too much without giving it away. But my goal is to tell a lot of different kinds of stories in the book. Some will be more about the DCU, some less. Every conflict is a different world with different dangers and different concerns. Hopefully the arcs reflect that.
MA: MEN OF WAR #2 is on sale Wednesday!
Matt Adler is a writer/journalist, currently writing for AICN among other outlets. He’s been reading comics for 20 years, writing about them for 7, and spends way, way, too much time thinking about them, which means he really has no choice but to figure out how to make a living out of them. He welcomes all feedback.
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
And check out AICN COMICS’ New Facebook Page!!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 3, 2011, 8:55 p.m. CST
It's the best movie in a long time and this site hasn't said a god damn thing about it
Oct. 3, 2011, 11:30 p.m. CST
by Andrew Quinsatt
There is a search function right above this article and all you have to do is type the words Drive movie... You'll see all kinds of reviews and raves for the movie.. Trust me I read this site religiously and they have talked about it quite a bit..
Oct. 4, 2011, 8:59 a.m. CST
but...matt adler... is that just an alias? or just a coincidence that it's the name of the guy who starred in North Shore... just curious...North Shore is one of my alltime fav movies...
Oct. 4, 2011, 9:38 a.m. CST
It's my real name. I'm just glad he isn't THAT famous, or else it would be a real pain in the ass!
Oct. 4, 2011, 11:44 a.m. CST
I was just recently watching North Shore with my kids (my daughter loves the soundtrack and at 8 yrs old has taken a big liking to groups like Killing Joke...which makes me rather proud :) anyhow...when i saw your name i was all 'holy shit...it's the guy from the movie!'.... sorry for the confusion...by the way...i'm an avid reader of your posts here, and i think you're doing an awesome job....
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 459 total posts 312 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 129 total posts 15 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 379 total posts 10 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 183 total posts 7 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 357 total posts 6 posts
- Lars Von Trier's NYMPHOMANIAC Gets Two Release Dates! -- 57 total posts 5 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 83 total posts 2 posts
- Capone feels burned by the out-of-control acting in OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! -- 61 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for REASONABLE DOUBT, Starring Dominic Cooper and Samuel L. Jackson! -- 33 total posts 2 posts