AICN COMICS Q&@: Matt Adler talks with MEN OF WAR writer Ivan Brandon, plus a 5 page preview of issue #2!!!
@’s by MEN OF WAR’s Ivan Brandon!!!
MATT ADLER (MA): How did you wind up writing MEN OF WAR? Was a war comic something you wanted to do for a while, or were you approached by someone at DC with the idea?
IVAN BRANDON (IB): I was approached. I'm kind of an obsessive war nerd and it was really an interesting challenge to me.
MA: What prompted the decision to set the series in contemporary times, with Sgt. Rock's grandson, rather than making it a WWII series with the original Sgt. Rock?
IB: We're living in a period of prolonged war. It made more sense to tell a story that people could relate to directly. I have some friends who've been overseas; I wanted to tell a story for them.
MA: How different of a character is Joseph Rock from Frank Rock?
IB: He's of a different era. And he's dealing with the weight of that lineage, of being down the line from a great man who was a hero in a war that didn't throw the term around. Frank Rock was a natural. Joe Rock is younger, still learning how to be a hero.
MA: The region that Rock and his team are infiltrating isn't named, at least in the first issue. Was that a conscious choice?
IB: Yeah. The first arc is really about being overwhelmed and disoriented, about men who have to perform even in an unfamiliar environment, with dangers they can't see.
MA: We see in the first issue hints of the larger DC Universe, with Rock's team encountering a superhuman on the battlefield, which they seem to take a dim view of; are we going to see a different take on superhumans in this book than in most DCU books?
IB: A very different take, hopefully. To the soldiers in MEN OF WAR, the metahumans are weapons. Tanks, Bombers. You avoid the tank.
MA: Your artist is Tom Derenick. What does he bring to the book?
IB: Tom's really working outside of his comfort zone, I think. This is a book that's really forced him to think differently, and I think it's really elevated his game to a different place.
MA: Where does the series go from here? Will the story arcs be mostly self-contained with different missions, or are you planning a larger through-line for the series?
IB: It's hard to say too much without giving it away. But my goal is to tell a lot of different kinds of stories in the book. Some will be more about the DCU, some less. Every conflict is a different world with different dangers and different concerns. Hopefully the arcs reflect that.
MA: MEN OF WAR #2 is on sale Wednesday!
Matt Adler is a writer/journalist, currently writing for AICN among other outlets. He’s been reading comics for 20 years, writing about them for 7, and spends way, way, too much time thinking about them, which means he really has no choice but to figure out how to make a living out of them. He welcomes all feedback.
Proofs, co-edits & common sense provided by Sleazy G
And check out AICN COMICS’ New Facebook Page!!!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Oct. 3, 2011, 8:55 p.m. CST
It's the best movie in a long time and this site hasn't said a god damn thing about it
Oct. 3, 2011, 11:30 p.m. CST
by Andrew Quinsatt
There is a search function right above this article and all you have to do is type the words Drive movie... You'll see all kinds of reviews and raves for the movie.. Trust me I read this site religiously and they have talked about it quite a bit..
Oct. 4, 2011, 8:59 a.m. CST
but...matt adler... is that just an alias? or just a coincidence that it's the name of the guy who starred in North Shore... just curious...North Shore is one of my alltime fav movies...
Oct. 4, 2011, 9:38 a.m. CST
It's my real name. I'm just glad he isn't THAT famous, or else it would be a real pain in the ass!
Oct. 4, 2011, 11:44 a.m. CST
I was just recently watching North Shore with my kids (my daughter loves the soundtrack and at 8 yrs old has taken a big liking to groups like Killing Joke...which makes me rather proud :) anyhow...when i saw your name i was all 'holy shit...it's the guy from the movie!'.... sorry for the confusion...by the way...i'm an avid reader of your posts here, and i think you're doing an awesome job....
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Tomorrow's THE STRAIN, The Next HOMELAND, Fox’s GOTHAM, Showtime’s THE AFFAIR, ABC’s FOREVER, CBS’ SCORPION & MADAM SECRETARY, Scott Frank’s A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES And The Latest MARVEL, DC & SNL News!! Plus The Return Of Horrorella!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- After writing Gareth Edwards' STAR WARS flick, Gary Whitta will move on to Mark Millar's STARLIGHT! -- 190 total posts 34 posts
- DOCTOR WHO S08E05 ‘Time Heist’ Reader Reaction Begins Now!! + HornOrSilk’s ‘Domain Of The Voord’ Big Finish Audio Review, Synopses For Upcoming S8 Eps, And More!! UPDATE RE: UPCOMING UK TIME CHANGE!! -- 167 total posts 30 posts
- The GODZILLA Sequel Has A Writer!! -- 219 total posts 26 posts
- Capone says Kevin Smith's wonderfully grotesque TUSK falters when it tries too hard to be funny!!! -- 67 total posts 26 posts
- Papa Vinyard talks with Rose McGowan about her first project as a director and the DAWN Film Festival she's curating this week in downtown Los Angeles! -- 36 total posts 25 posts
- CBS, The Only Network Without A Superhero Show, Just Ordered To Series Berlanti’s SUPERGIRL!! -- 68 total posts 22 posts
- Harry @ Fantastic Fest 2014: TUSK, REALITI, CUB, TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA, HIVE, MAN FROM RENO & FREE FALL! -- 15 total posts 14 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY: THEM and Terry Gilliam's THE ZERO THEOREM!!! -- 26 total posts 12 posts
- The Additions of Sam Elliott and DEADWOOD’s Garret Dillahunt Suggest That The Final Season Of JUSTIFIED Will Own Us All!! -- 31 total posts 12 posts