Fantastic Fest '11! Muldoon Reviews YAKUZA WEAPON!
Muldoon Reviews YAKUZA WEAPON
It might be blasphemous to say I’m not really a fan of some of the more over the top films from Japan, like ROBOGEISHA or flicks like that. That said, tonight’s screening of YAKUZA WEAPON blew my face off with its awesomeness.
Since I tend to avoid the crazier violent Japanese movies that the Fantastic Fest programmers love so much, to say the movie was even a feint blip on my radar is an understatement. I actually tried to avoid seeing this flick, but by the time I was able to get tickets practically everything else was sold out. So once more I walked in with no expectations other than knowing I’d probably see some decapitations and people with bizarre shit coming out of their bodies and apparently the flick was based off of a popular comic book. In a sick way, even though I really don’t care for this genre in general the movie gods made sure I got my ass in to see this film.
I loved it. I ate it up. Co-directors Tak Sakaguchi and Yudai Tamaguchi kick the film off with a bang Zack Snyder would be envious of. The camera work, time remapping, skillfully choreographed ass kickings, and explosions might have been the most badass and well executed introduction of a character I’ve seen in quite some time. [TINY SPOILER: The guy’s such a badass, he steps on a landmine and lets it propel him hundreds of feet into the air like a boss.]
The film’s a tale of revenge, a prodigal son returning home to avenge the death of a loved one and killing hundreds (maybe even thousands) of crazy ass characters. Make no mistake; there are ludicrous amounts of incredibly inventive fighting involving all sorts of whip zooms, CG out the ass, digitally composited blood splats and muzzle flashes… While that’s not quite my cup of tea, the film also delivers a healthy amount of straight up hand to hand combat that rivals anything I’ve seen from Tony Jaa, Donnie Yen, or Jet Li, all with a hearty serving of humor that only the Japanese can pull off. At one point, the film’s star, Tak Sakaguchi (also co-director) delivers four minutes of nonstop ass kicking in one long continuous take…
If you liked films like GI JOE, ROBOCOP, or PLANET TERROR, there’s a damn good chance you’ll get a kick out of YAKUZA WEAPON. I did. The mix of comedy, gore, action, and just an overall sense of “Holy shit, this is awesome” makes me think I might need to give ROBOGEISHA and the whole Japanese crazy gore-filled action fest genre another chance. YAKUZA WEAPON might just have made a believer out of me. Totally worth checking out.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 26, 2011, 9:45 a.m. CST
I was exactly like you, Muldoon - not a fan at all of these "extreme" Japanese flicks that have been doing the rounds lately but damn, your review has got me fired up for this. I'm in.
Sept. 26, 2011, 10:02 a.m. CST
Sept. 26, 2011, 10:56 a.m. CST
full metal yakuza anyone?
Sept. 26, 2011, 11:03 a.m. CST
Really? Cus I'm not sure how I feel about this. Anyway yeah. Ultra-violence, japan, weird body shit. Sure why not. Could be fun if I don't fall asleep.
Sept. 27, 2011, 5:31 a.m. CST
I love long continuous one take (or simulated one take) shots with lots of action going on. They are my favorite.
All that Michael Bay pussy ass superfast-edited bullshit can't even beging to compare to the awesomeness that is a very long and elaborate shot where many things happen. The later is true cinema magic, and small wonder so many talented filmmakers feel compelled to do them. True movie magic.
Sept. 27, 2011, 5:38 a.m. CST
While i'm also not much of a fan of the super-gory Japanese action-horror hybrid movies, i loved ICHI THE KILLER and TOKYO GORE POLICE
The funny thing about those movies is that, despiste them being so over-the-top and loony, the filmmakers always do make a genuine effort to put pathos to the films, and they realyl make an effort to put genuine honest drama. It makes them oddly compelling.
Sept. 27, 2011, 4:09 p.m. CST
- BARBIE. The Movie. -- 138 total posts 8 posts
- There Will Soon Be No More Orci / Kurtzman Movies!?!? + One Of Them Is Pushing To Direct The Third JJVerse STAR TREK Film!! -- 343 total posts 6 posts
Learn What’s Ahead
For GAME OF THRONES!! -- 82 total posts 5 posts
- Fox has hired a pair of writers to get a FLASH GORDON movie off the ground! -- 397 total posts 5 posts
- The First Official BTS Shots From JURASSIC WORLD Are Here!! -- 73 total posts 5 posts
- Robert Downey Jr. seems to be tweeting a picture a day from the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron... -- 106 total posts 5 posts
- UPDATED (21:55): Trailer taken down by IFC! The trailer for BOYHOOD takes us through a decade-plus of the life of young lead actor Ellan Coltrane! -- 13 total posts 5 posts
- They're going to have to look for another MIDNIGHT RIDER, because after that tragedy, William Hurt ain't stickin' around! -- 33 total posts 4 posts
- Director Colin Trevorrow Talks The Bigger Picture Of JURASSIC WORLD!! -- 68 total posts 4 posts
- Check Out the Trailer for EJECTA - From PONTYPOOL Scribe Tony Burgess! -- 10 total posts 3 posts