Kenneth Lonergan's Unconventional MARGARET Gets A Somewhat Conventional Trailer...
It seemed like this day would never come, but after an unusually lengthy postproduction period, Kenneth Lonergan's MARGARET is finally hitting theaters on September 30th. And now, six years after the film went before cameras, we have a theatrical trailer to nitpick! It's available at Apple's trailer page, but here's an embed for those who can't bear to leave this page.
Confused? Don't blame you. Though the trailer gets across the basic narrative, there's much more to the story than what's being shown here - and what makes it special isn't the kind of thing that pops in a two-minute piece of marketing. This was always going to be a tough sell.
I hope Fox Searchlight does something in the way of a press day for MARGARET between now and September 30th, as I'm curious to hear Lonergan's thoughts on what was reportedly a difficult editorial process. I just hope he's happy with this cut (which is 149 minutes long; he had final cut up to 150 minutes), and that the film is as masterful as the script. Regardless, this is Lonergan's first movie in eleven years (since the superb YOU CAN COUNT ON ME), and should be considered a must-see.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Sept. 1, 2011, 7:55 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2011, 7:56 p.m. CST
by D o o d
Sept. 1, 2011, 7:59 p.m. CST
Psst - nobody tell him to read the actual text of the article
Sept. 1, 2011, 8:01 p.m. CST
This looks like super duper melodramatic and one note. release it straight to DVD.
Sept. 1, 2011, 8:04 p.m. CST
by D o o d
so I'm a dumbass! To be honest Matt Damon hasn't looked like that for over 10 years, so technically he's still gained 4 years!
Sept. 1, 2011, 8:13 p.m. CST
but she's not THAT young. Anna Paquin is supposed to be playing a 17-year old high school senior. Please...
Sept. 1, 2011, 8:30 p.m. CST
A 23 year old playing 17 isnt that unusual. For instance, John Cusak was 23 when he played high school in Say Anything. You think thats odd, you should see some of the 30somethings playing high school in the American Pie movies.
Sept. 1, 2011, 8:36 p.m. CST
try to pay attention, kiddo.
Sept. 1, 2011, 9:52 p.m. CST
Interesting. Yeah, six years back. I'll be seeing this. I didn't see Jean Reno OR notice Allison Janney in the trailer. They are holding a lot back. That's a good thing.
Sept. 1, 2011, 10 p.m. CST
You are like the cup in "2 girls and a cup". Full of shit and useless without the shit or the 2 girls.
Sept. 1, 2011, 10 p.m. CST
you are good for being filled with liquids.
Sept. 1, 2011, 10:18 p.m. CST
Both Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella's names are in the credits... both gone. Man, this movie's been in editing hell forever.
Sept. 1, 2011, 10:21 p.m. CST
... because the city has cameras at every intersection in Manhattan, specifically to catch drivers who run red lights: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/park_red_light.shtml
Sept. 1, 2011, 10:38 p.m. CST
welcome to: ====★ http://www.goodshopping100.com ==== So the commodities will have a big discount FREE SHIPPING,accept pyapal Opportunity knocks but once, BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!! SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!! FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!
Sept. 1, 2011, 10:52 p.m. CST
by Lenny Nero
...of the world. <p>On another note, I'm curious as to when Manhattan installed all those cameras in the first place. There's a chance they weren't everywhere in 2004-2005.
Sept. 1, 2011, 11:30 p.m. CST
Sept. 1, 2011, 11:52 p.m. CST
and oh yeah, You Can Count on Me is great
Sept. 2, 2011, 3:14 a.m. CST
look at me I'm trying to be meaningful and about lieing for good reasons and bleaaacchhh, that looks unwatchable. just watch the louie episode where he sees a bus accident and then goes on a date Its gotta be a billion times better then this and over an hour shorter.
Sept. 2, 2011, 3:44 a.m. CST
...does that guy get to "take away" Anna Paquin's virginity or what?
Sept. 2, 2011, 6:19 a.m. CST
she fucked up majorly, and so far in the trailer, I can't identify why we're supposed to feel sorry for her except for how she feels sorry for herself. I feel sorry for the innocent victim who lost her life because some dumbass bus driver couldn't drive... that's all.
Sept. 2, 2011, 6:36 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2011, 6:41 a.m. CST
Mark Ruffalo couldn't let the bus drop below 50 anyway or he'd turn into the Hulk and Anna Paquin was just trying to catch up with Peter Parker anyway.
Sept. 2, 2011, 9:35 a.m. CST
Sept. 2, 2011, 9:57 a.m. CST
Some parts of this movie remind me of The Sweet Hereafter with Sarah Polley.
Sept. 2, 2011, 10:39 a.m. CST
will see this for sure.
Sept. 2, 2011, 3:46 p.m. CST
That's right around the time that I hooked up with Anna Paquin...Oh wait, I thought this was a trailer for 'The Piano'
Sept. 2, 2011, 9:31 p.m. CST
the characters, especially Linney's, were some of my least favourite in film. I thought them broken, selfish people. And then I realized that was the point. And, in a beautiful twist, it is that wonderful lilting score with its Emerald Coast, its spirits of the dead, its Joyce, that brought me back to the film. I kept hearing it afterward, in conjunction with the often comic but deeply sad images, and thought, "There's something here I'm missing..." And, indeed, I grew to have great affection and understanding for those characters. Quite the movie experience. A feat of screenwriting, with the sensitive direction to make it something we really have to contend with, just not accept. I saw my loved ones in that picture. Saw me. And it took all the cliches of our lives to a place of transcendence, where those moments really matter.
Sept. 2, 2011, 9:31 p.m. CST
June 10, 2012, 3:43 a.m. CST
by Cool Ethan
Don't you guys find it strange that there was no apparent earth government involvement? You can bet that any (even a private Weyland corp.) expedition to another star system (much less our 'creators') would have some kind of explicit or implicit government involvement.
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 382 total posts 16 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 21 total posts 4 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 627 total posts 4 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No STRAIN This Week!! No LEFTOVERS Finale Either!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 23 total posts 2 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts
- Don't count Andy Serkis' JUNGLE BOOK out just yet! He's scored Batman, Galadriel, Moneypenny, and Smaug for his cast! -- 97 total posts 2 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 1 total post 1 post