Kenneth Lonergan's Long-Delayed MARGARET Gets A September 30, 2011 Release Date!
When Kenneth Lonergan's MARGARET went before cameras in the fall of 2005, it was merely the filmmaker's long-awaited follow-up to his critically-acclaimed debut, YOU CAN COUNT ON ME. Little did we know then that the wait was just beginning.
Nearly six years after Lonergan wrapped prinicpal photography, Fox Searchlight has slotted MARGARET for a September 30, 2011 release. The film stars Anna Paquin, J. Smith-Cameron, Matt Damon, Mark Ruffalo, Jean Reno and lots of other great actors who've become bigger names in the half-decade since they were cast. It is also, sadly, the final film from producers Anthony Minghella and Sidney Pollack. The screenplay I reviewed back in 2004 remains one of the best I've ever read. Here's Searchlight's attempt at capsulizing the story:
MARGARET centers on a 17-year-old New York City high-school student who feels certain that she inadvertently played a role in a traffic accident that has claimed a woman's life. In her attempts to set things right she meets with opposition at every step. Torn apart with frustration, she begins emotionally brutalizing her family, her friends, her teachers, and most of all, herself. She has been confronted quite unexpectedly with a basic truth: that her youthful ideals are on a collision course against the realities and compromises of the adult world.
Given the late September release date, it's a little curious that Searchlight has yet to announce a premiere at one of the major upcoming film festivals (Venice, Telluride* or Toronto). This could indicate that the contentious legal battle over the length of the final cut resulted in a version of the film that is not endorsed by its director (Lonergan's preferred cut reportedly ran in the three-hour range). I contacted Searchlight for comment, and was told they were a) not issuing a press release, and b) had nothing regarding the film's run time at present (though they promised to look into that for me).
Martin Scorsese called an early cut of MARGARET "a masterpiece". Ruffalo, a longtime collaborator and friend of Lonergan's, referred to it as "a female CATCHER IN THE RYE". Will their praise apply to the version being released by Searchlight? We'll find out soon enough.
*Actually, I was just reminded that Telluride doesn't announce its lineup in advance, so MARGARET could very well turn up there.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:11 p.m. CST
by Mr Soze
Put it in the books
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:12 p.m. CST
by Mr Soze
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:33 p.m. CST
This explains the circa-2004 script review. I remember this movie now, along with the strange stories around its editing process.
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:35 p.m. CST
I'm sure the studio completely butchered the theatrical cut. Lonergan needs to worry exclusively about screenwriting. Dude is a beast on the page.
Aug. 3, 2011, 9:12 p.m. CST
Such an awesome movie Cowboys and Aliens is. I can't even stop talking about it.
Aug. 3, 2011, 9:12 p.m. CST
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:56 p.m. CST
though there was a good film in there, somewhere. i really hope they were able to find it.
Aug. 4, 2011, 4:22 a.m. CST
And "You Can Count on Me" is a brilliant film. Lonnergan gets the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.
Aug. 4, 2011, 8:26 a.m. CST
Second thing I thought of, after the Jake Lonergan/ Kenneth Lonergan thing.
Aug. 4, 2011, 8:33 a.m. CST
than a discourse on how we as a nation have dealt with 9/11. At least to me it does. I don't get the 9/11 connection. Guess I'll have to take a look at the script.
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 191 total posts 56 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 231 total posts 40 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 55 total posts 18 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 14 total posts 14 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 96 total posts 10 posts
LOW WINTER SUN
2013-2013 -- 14 total posts 7 posts
- Fox To Dabble In Shared X-MEN / FF Movieverse!?!? -- 173 total posts 7 posts
- The Friday Docback Rounds Up This Week's DOCTOR WHO News!! 50th Celebration, 'Time of the Doctor,' HornOrSilk Reviews 'The Assassination Games' Big Finish Audio, And More!! -- 30 total posts 6 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 71 total posts 4 posts
- Capone's Art-House Round-Up with IS THE MAN WHO IS TALL HAPPY?, BETTIE PAGE REVEALS ALL, I AM DIVINE and THE GHOSTS IN OUR MACHINE!!! -- 19 total posts 2 posts