Bret Easton Ellis And Paul Schrader Make BAIT Of The Rich!
Paul Schrader's done horror before, and so has Bret Easton Ellis. Their worldviews, as expressed in their films and books, respectively, have definitely run to the bleak. So these two working on a horror film together means that audiences better armor up when they see their film BAIT, which will begin shooting this November in Puerto Rico, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
BAIT is about an employee of a beach club for the wealthy who decides to get his revenge against them by hijacking a yacht full of society's young and rich and dumping them in shark-infested waters. Sounds awesomely brutal, and hopefully between Ellis and Schrader we'll see some devastaing shark gore, at the very least. Sounds like another anti-hero from Ellis at the very least. Who knows, maybe he's a long lost relation to Patrick Bateman.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
Aug. 3, 2011, 7:29 p.m. CST
I am amazing
Aug. 3, 2011, 7:30 p.m. CST
Aug. 3, 2011, 7:48 p.m. CST
weird that Ellis is coming at it from a working-man angle, though. Even though his work is satirising the amoral rich who populate his books, other classes don't usually get a look in. Unless Ellis is dealing with the insufferable-yuppie angle and Schrader the boiling-cauldron-of-rage underdog out for revenge. Sounds about right. Love Ellis, but I can't deal with the nihilism any more. American Psycho is right next to Infinite Jest in terms of how much it affected me, and Lunar Park was great in a meta way. <P> Ellis and Schrader. Christ. This is going to be bad for the soul.
Aug. 3, 2011, 7:48 p.m. CST
by Andrew Coleman
By that I mean "hate the rich" type movies. This last year has proven the rich in this country simply want to destroy everything so they can stay rich. You can't really debate that. So movies like this and Tower Heist are feeding the masses who want to see the rich(who usually are born into it) pay. I'm down for that. This sounds like a great idea.
Aug. 3, 2011, 7:52 p.m. CST
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:49 p.m. CST
cause there aren't enough young people being killed between wars and political killings
Aug. 3, 2011, 8:58 p.m. CST
by Polo Chavez
I was hoping it would be about the magazine from Jerry Caesar's empire.
Aug. 3, 2011, 9:07 p.m. CST
It's got the guy from the Loved Ones in it, but this one sounds fuckin badass - love me some Ellis
Aug. 3, 2011, 9:08 p.m. CST
Aug. 3, 2011, 9:17 p.m. CST
antonphd...are you seriously afraid that this movie will lead to copycats taking young people out on their yachts and dropping them into shark-infested waters? Or are you having a bad day?
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:08 p.m. CST
I managed to read Glamorama and Less Than Zero before-hand, but as fucked up as those books were they didn't prepare me for AP. And it's a shame because what I was able to stomach was absolutely brilliant. Ellis is my favorite author I'm afraid to read. Great flick though.
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:13 p.m. CST
so there's nothing wrong with dumping young and rich into shark-infested waters.
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:42 p.m. CST
Why do they feel the need to produce such work and it is really necessary? I'm not sure I could write the sentence, "I enjoyed the book". I thought it was a good story and well written and Bateman is a fantastic character. It just seriously made me wonder about Ellis. Who sits down and imagines that stuff and then has the balls to put it in black and white (and is not repulsed by it) and gives it to another person, and then they get away with doing it and not only that, make good money off of it. (Yeah you could argue it says more about the consumer). You just wonder, if someone is thinking up this stuff, what else are they doing?
Aug. 3, 2011, 11 p.m. CST
Two great tastes that taste great together. Hopefully. Let's just hope they bring the funny.
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:20 a.m. CST
I'd like to see more Ellis...I hope it takes place in the 80s.
Aug. 4, 2011, 3:12 a.m. CST
Is the man for many things, but his most recent touch of genius was saying that watching Glee was like stepping into a puddle of HIV. Couldn't have said it better myself... And for the record, the guy is bi or gay, so no homophobia here...
Aug. 4, 2011, 3:28 a.m. CST
Maybe they could cut the trailer to Aerosmith's Eat the Rich.
Aug. 4, 2011, 4:27 a.m. CST
We're not allowed to note the irony because some rich are better than others or something.
Aug. 4, 2011, 5:25 a.m. CST
by paul burnett
hightower passed away last night..
Aug. 4, 2011, 7 a.m. CST
I tend to be a bit weird, so this is a legitimate question. However disturbing american psycho was, it was still one crazy guy torturing adult people. Less than Zero ends with a party where all the guys rape a young girl tied to a bed. Which to my mind was infinitely more disturbing than anything in american psycho. Bait sounds quite interesting by the way!
Aug. 4, 2011, 8:03 a.m. CST
Channeling Adam West there a little bit, sorry.
Aug. 4, 2011, 9:21 a.m. CST
by Spandau Belly
Back when he started out there was some intrigue about the debauch lives of American bourgeoisie, but since then every Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian have shown us every aspect of their lives and twitted every thought in their heads and we've realized they are boring.
Aug. 4, 2011, 9:24 a.m. CST
by Spandau Belly
Don't get me wrong, it's just that his subject matter of choice has lost its mystique and shock.
Aug. 4, 2011, 12:09 p.m. CST
Sean Batman in Rules of Attraction. Rock n roll.
Aug. 4, 2011, 3:46 p.m. CST
by Rob D
moved to Idaho in the mid-90's and started an internet company selling turquoise jewelry.
Aug. 4, 2011, 4:33 p.m. CST
PLOT TWIST: One of the rich young people the vengeful employee kidnaps turns out to be Bruce Wayne, AKA Batman! Much ass-kicking of the shark and human kind ensues!
Now THAT'S a movie I'd see!!!
Aug. 4, 2011, 5:12 p.m. CST
I love Ellis' work (American Psycho being one of the few books I've re-read), but come on, this sounds... shallow (pun).
- 1st wk of Sept 2014's PICKS & PEEKS with Universal Monsters, FIRESTARTER, Eco-Terrorism, swords & fantasy! -- 87 total posts 83 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 385 total posts 13 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 425 total posts 12 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 725 total posts 11 posts
- AICN HORROR: Dr. Karen Oughton checks out four fear-filled films from Film4 FrightFest 2014: THE LAST SHOWING! SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR! THE GUEST! DOC OF THE DEAD! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- The DRUNK HISTORY Finale!! HOUDINI Finale!! ROYAL PAINS Finale!! RIZZOLI & ISLES Finale!! HARD KNOCKS Finale!! New TALENT, CARTER, GEAR, LITTLE, LIARS, MATADOR, WIZARD!! The Chenbot On LETTERMAN!! Brienne Of Tarth On CRAIG!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 10 total posts 10 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 31 total posts 6 posts
- AICN COMICS PODCAST reviews GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY! WAYWARD! SUNDOWNERS! & More! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 54 total posts 4 posts
- Harry may be crazy about SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR - but so may you -- 570 total posts 3 posts