Some days The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day is the pigeon, some days it’s the statue.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
It kind of blows my mind that the UK Office is 10 years old this year. I remember seeing it shortly after it aired on the BBC, which was unusual for me. I’m typically a few years behind on most TV, especially UK TV. I mean, I still haven’t seen Dead Set and I just recently watched all of Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace.
But I did see The Office early on, so much so that the thought of a US version of the show made me roll my eyes… I didn’t care for the show, actually, and gave up on it after the first two episodes just kind of brought out the same jokes as Ricky Gervais’ original. It wasn’t until people started saying the show was developing its own voice that I went back and now I watch every episode.
Gervais’ David Brent is one of my all time favorite TV characters. Even more so than Michael Scott Brent had a unique talent for digging a hole for himself that I constantly was amazed he could climb out of. Over the years they’ve made Michael Scott a very lovable goof, but Brent wasn’t as redeemable, which made his one moment of standing up for himself in the Holiday Special a stand-up-and-cheer one for me.
The whole cast is amazing, actually. Lucy Davis (before she fought zombies with Shaun), Martin Freeman (before putting on the furry feet) and Mackenzie Crook (before fighting Jack Sparrow) had brilliant chemistry.
Great, now I want to rewatch every episode.
Thanks to the BBC for putting these images out there to celebrate it’s anniversary. It’s a fun one with damn near everybody involved in the show, including the great Stephen Merchant. Click to (slightly) embiggen!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic really doesn’t wanna stay on this rock.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
July 8, 2011, 3:43 p.m. CST
goes from a layabout to superstar. Hey we can all do it, right?
July 8, 2011, 3:43 p.m. CST
by wattos new hat
July 8, 2011, 3:45 p.m. CST
July 8, 2011, 3:45 p.m. CST
still get douche chills from the finally of Extras? I loved it, but man did Gervais have something to say about fame in that one.
July 8, 2011, 3:47 p.m. CST
by Dick Jones
...and coming to the US. Maybe more spinoffs/sister series? The Office (Shanghai) or The Office : SVU or The Office Detroit........okay I've been drinking today and have no fuckin' idea what I'm saying...
July 8, 2011, 3:49 p.m. CST
is not worthwhile, IMO
July 8, 2011, 4:10 p.m. CST
by Cletus Van Damme
Loved that last few minutes of that finale. Perfect end note.
July 8, 2011, 4:21 p.m. CST
by Righteous Brother
Americans are all big hair, and great big shiny teeth.
July 8, 2011, 4:29 p.m. CST
Except maybe his part as the doctor on “Louie."
July 8, 2011, 4:32 p.m. CST
in the world.
July 8, 2011, 5:15 p.m. CST
I love this show. It was funny and moving and just the right length. It really went out on a high note. I've never watched the US version and have no plans to. Why would I want to spoil all the good feelings I have for this series?
July 8, 2011, 6:21 p.m. CST
by Chris Moody
If you like THE OFFICE (UK) -- you should check out DOC MARTIN! Best. Show. Ever!
July 8, 2011, 6:36 p.m. CST
watch Nathan Barley
July 8, 2011, 6:43 p.m. CST
Like right now.
July 8, 2011, 6:44 p.m. CST
by Tom McMahon
...that Gervais has turned into such a massive cunt.
July 8, 2011, 6:47 p.m. CST
by Tom McMahon
He always was, even back before The Office, he just pulled some smoke and mirrors thing to make everyone think that Brent was a character, not just himself.
July 8, 2011, 7:05 p.m. CST
Ive given up trying to watch the American version because of it
July 8, 2011, 7:12 p.m. CST
July 8, 2011, 8:02 p.m. CST
by Tigger Tales
July 8, 2011, 8:15 p.m. CST
That's the mother Dag!
July 8, 2011, 8:47 p.m. CST
What I TRIED to post before this effed up talkback system cut most of it out was... I most strongly second that sentiment ballyhoo! We need some Mahrenghi on disc ASAP!
July 8, 2011, 9:16 p.m. CST
July 9, 2011, 12:42 a.m. CST
by Aphex Twin
There was more of a character arc with Tim/Dawn in 14 episodes than most American characters experience in 7 seasons. Screw the American Office, Office BBC ftw!
July 9, 2011, 3:07 a.m. CST
Yes great chemistry in this show and especially from Martin and Lucy. Superb character development and great casting.
July 9, 2011, 6:49 a.m. CST
Darkplace has been available on DVD for years in the UK.
July 9, 2011, 8:24 a.m. CST
Don't waste your time, it's terrible. I haven't met a single person who thought it was worth watching. It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as The Office or Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace.
July 9, 2011, 9:24 a.m. CST
Way to go out on on a high note indeed. To often, successful American series just go on and on and on, running a good thing right into the ground.
July 9, 2011, 9:39 a.m. CST
Remember the episode where he was hired to be one of a few motivational speakers? He basically winged it and tried too hard to be theatrical... I've done stuff like that before and I cringe every time I think back on it (or watch that segment of that episode). I rank "The Office" (UK version) as one of my four favorite shows of all time, of any genre. Also in the top four: "WKRP in Cincinnati", "NewsRadio", and "The Wire". There can be only four.
July 9, 2011, 10:14 a.m. CST
For running a tedious joke into the ground.
July 9, 2011, 1:01 p.m. CST
by david starling
That Christmas special was just utterly brilliant - I especially loved it when Brent told Finchy to fuck off!! I think there's a bit of David Brent in all of us. I've never watched the US series, the UK series was enough, and just right for me. For me, its up there with Fawlty Towers, Dear John Series One (The UK original series, with the late great Ralph Bates) and 30 Rock Series One (yes, there are 30 Rock fans in the UK!! And when is Tina Fey going to make another series?) as some of the best comedy I've ever seen.
July 9, 2011, 4:30 p.m. CST
is PEEPSHOW on channel 4 ... mark corrigan´s view is just so right on, i can´t believe it...
July 10, 2011, 5:49 a.m. CST
July 10, 2011, 5:20 p.m. CST
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 385 total posts 19 posts
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 636 total posts 13 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 203 total posts 12 posts
- WALKING DEAD!! BOARDWALK EMPIRE!! AGENTS OF SHIELD!! STAR WARS REBELS!! SOUTH PARK!! NEW GIRL!! HOMELAND!! GOTHAM!! FLASH!! SURVIVOR!! RESURRECTION!! PARENTHOOD!! BURGERS!! BLACKLIST!! BANG!! VOICE!! SLEEPY!! PERSON!! UTOPIA!! ANARCHY!! Z!! More Than 200 Autumn Premiere Dates!! -- 25 total posts 8 posts
- Abortionist Killers On PBS!! HOUDINI Hits History!! Angie Returns To THE DOME!! New DALLAS, PARADISE, WOLF, WILD, MASTERCHEF, MODEL, NINJA, HOTEL, BEACH, & RAW!! PARTNERS & MISTRESSES Finales!! UNAUTHORIZED SAVED BY THE BELL STORY!! Annaleigh Ashford On CRAIG!! Herc’s Monday TV Talkback!! -- 5 total posts 5 posts
- Fantastic Fest 2014 Trailer Wave Part 2! -- 14 total posts 5 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 303 total posts 4 posts
- Two More BIG BROTHER Nominations!! The Return Of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!! MI6 On PBS!! FALLING SKIES Finale!! New STRAIN, MANHATTAN, MASTERS, NAKED, RAY, RECKLESS, BEACHFRONT, BREATHLESS, KARDASHIANS, WIPEOUT!! No LEFTOVERS Finale!! Herc’s Sunday TV Talkback!! -- 24 total posts 3 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 312 total posts 3 posts
- Final PICKS & PEEKS of Aug 2014: LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE, Zombies, FOSSE, RATS, Nukes & Teens!!! -- 349 total posts 2 posts