Errol Morris' TABLOID has a trailer that feels like a Tabloid story!
Hey folks, Harry here... If you love documentary film, you kind of have to love Errol Morris. His work? THE THIN BLUE LINE a brilliant look at the corruption in Dallas' law enforcement system. Brutal film, great! Then he created A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME, which introduced the non-literate world to the genius of Stephen Hawking. There's no quick way to encapsulate the genius of FAST, CHEAP & OUT OF CONTROL - except to say that it brings up a lot of damn interesting notions to mull over. Love it. Then Mr Morris gave us MR. DEATH: THE RISE AND FALL OF FRED A LEUCHTER, JR. which is just a fascinating look at the man that designed the American execution devices, who ironically also denies the existence of the Holocaust. My favorite Errol Morris doc was THE FOG OF WAR: ELEVEN LESSONS FROM THE LIFE OF ROBERT S. McNAMARA which just framed the 20th century in an amazing way. Just love that film. His most recent work was STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE which was about what happened at Abu Ghraib prison - and is another powerful documentary work. So when I hear that Errol Morris is tackling the TABLOID scene by focusing on the Miss Wyoming that allegedly abducted and banged the hell out of a Mormon Missionary... I can't wait to see the truth that Errol gets to. More than that, I anticipate the film framing and commenting on the entire Tabloid nature of the modern media that could actually get distracted with a weiner. We're better than that... or at least we should be. At the very least the trailer makes me think that TABLOID is going to be fun as hell to watch - and probably will be incredibly smart. Can't wait to see it, folks that have seen it on the festival circuit have been very positive.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 9, 2011, 8:58 p.m. CST
by bat fastard
June 9, 2011, 9:29 p.m. CST
Love Morris' work. Can't wait to see it!
June 9, 2011, 10:56 p.m. CST
Not only one of the best documentaries ever, but one if the greatest films of all time.
June 9, 2011, 11:03 p.m. CST
... and this is coming from a Mormon who served his mission in France a decade ago.
June 9, 2011, 11:14 p.m. CST
by Adelai Niska
This looks like might be close to that sort of tone- joking and weird but profound underneath it all.
June 10, 2011, 3:29 a.m. CST
I love Errol Morris, but never understood the hype surrounding 'Gates of Heaven', which I find turgid and sleep-inducing. In my opinion, his best film is his little-known follow-up to 'Gates of Heaven' called 'Vernon Florida'. I won't tell you about it. You can google it if you are interested.
June 10, 2011, 11:55 a.m. CST
Esp. "Fast, Cheap..." That one moves me to tears. Fantastic score, too.
June 10, 2011, 3:11 p.m. CST
As a Mormon who served a mission in England not too long after all this I have some familiarity with the facts of the matter. There really isn't any mystery to what happened. She was/is a psycho, stalked the guy for some time, he was Mormon long before he went on his mission (something you have to volunteer to do) and he was GLAD at the thought of getting away from her for at least a couple years. She did forcibly kidnap him and chain him up, witnesses and other evidence bear this up. She is a nut case. And just because a guy has a moral conviction that sex before marriage is wrong doesn't mean he is immune from stimulation, or that feeling arousal erases one's moral convictions. Even with the rape of females it is not that uncommon for her to experience a level of arousal or even orgasm, and that doesn't mean she liked it or wanted it, that in fact greatly deepens the emotional trauma she has because of the rape. The facts of the matter are not nearly so exciting, and the trailer seems very slanted toward selling her side rather than telling the truth.
June 11, 2011, 3:01 a.m. CST
As silly and as fascinating as this movie looks in regards to a documentary, is it not sensationalizing a rape case between a crazy woman and a young man who's religion is often the target of ridicule? If tables were turned and it was a crazed man hunting down a young woman in England and kidnapping her at gunpoint to ravage her for three days, it would cause an outrage to release a film like this. Ah well.
- A New And Nice Clip From Darren Aronofsky’s NOAH!! + Emma Watson Introduces A New Trailer!! -- 95 total posts 95 posts
- ‘You Are Of SHIELD??’ THOR’s Hot Pal Sif Joins AGENTS!! The Premiere Of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN!! Plus New NEW GIRL, BOY, BROOKLYN, BACHELOR, BAD GIRLS, MIND GAMES, TROPHY, TOSH, ORIGINALS, GOLDBERGS, GLEE, RIZZOLI, PERCEPTION, KROLL, LIARS, COUGAR, FISHER, FIRE, CONTAINER, TEEN MOM, CAPONES & VOICE!! KING Finale!! Syfy’s MY BIG FAT GEEK WEDDING!! Lauren Cohan & Jeff Goldblum on CRAIG!! Rachel Maddow On SETH!! Ronald D. Moore On LAST CALL!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 83 total posts 83 posts
- Li Bingbing Looks Mighty Stern In Her TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION Character Poster!! -- 82 total posts 82 posts
- New Clip from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER! -- 47 total posts 47 posts
- See The Flash's Full Costume For The New CW Show!! -- 41 total posts 41 posts
- Herc Is Underwhelmed By Cuaron’s Bad Robot Pilot BELIEVE!! -- 58 total posts 36 posts
- Jon Favreau Still Contemplating A Trip To The MAGIC KINGDOM! -- 60 total posts 34 posts
- A New Poster Of Angelina Jolie As MALEFICENT!! -- 153 total posts 33 posts
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 327 total posts 33 posts
- ‘He’s Worse Than Anybody!!’ Sunday Brings HBO’s Season Finale Of TRUE DETECTIVE!! -- 341 total posts 22 posts