Capone has details on a special Chicago advanced screening of SUPER 8 tomorrow (Wednesday) night!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
So in case you hadn't noticed, a few of us here at Ain't It Cool News have been responding quite favorably to the new J.J. Abrams-written and -directed film SUPER 8, which is released this Friday. It really is a beautiful movie that certainly has a degree of science-fiction thrown in for fun. But what the film is really about is friendship and how a passion for movies is a binding force that often allows friendships to last a lifetime. And there's lens flare and stuff, but you knew that already...
For those who didn't hear, at Harry's SUPER 8 INSPIRATIONS event in Austin last week, they just went ahead and opened the proceedings with SUPER 8, even though it wasn't on the bill. Big surprise, right? Well, here's another surprise for those folks lucky enough to be in Chicago tomorrow: J.J. Abrams has personally arranged to have an early surprise screening of SUPER 8 in Chicago tomorrow, Wednesday, June 8 at 10:00pm at the AMC River East theaters. This will be a different kind of contest than I usually offer, so pay close attention.
Go to www.Super8Secret.com at 2:30pm CST (if the site isn't working, keep trying; there were some glitches early on). You'll need a password to RSVP for the screening, and that password is "MINT". I'm not sure if you have to pick a city or not, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. RSVP'ing does not guarantee you seating, so you need to arrive at the theater very early on Wednesday to make sure you get in. They are overbooking this one considerably to make sure there's a full house, so if you can't make it early, don't take away seats from people who can. And whatever you do, don't email me for tickets.
All RSVP'd people will have your names on a list at the door, so don't just show up thinking you'll get in if you didn't RSVP; you won't. Make sure to bring a photo ID to the screening. And word on the street is that everyone who gets in will get free popcorn and soda. Yay snacks! I'll be on hand to introduce the film, which will be preceded by something kind of special. That's all I'm saying
Good luck everyone. And a big thanks to Paramount Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, and Bad Robot for letting us screen this movie in Chicago.
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 7, 2011, 2:53 p.m. CST
by brett weinrich
your article says the showing is at 10 pm but my response email from the super8 site says 7pm. Any clarification will be appreciated.
June 7, 2011, 3:06 p.m. CST
Doors open at 7pm, the screening starts at 10pm.
June 7, 2011, 3:38 p.m. CST
by brett weinrich
many thanks. feel mildly oafish. as soon as i read your post i had a head-thwacking 'duh!' moment.
June 7, 2011, 3:46 p.m. CST
if you're early enough, you can register names for the people who will come with you. just reload the page, and give it another go.
June 7, 2011, 4:27 p.m. CST
by Pvt. Duke
Normally "secrecy" regarding a movie (like the Scream 4 actors being fed only selected pages to save them from spoiling the twist) is just pretentious Hollywood bullshit, and in the end nobody gives a fuck either way. I think Abrams' intentions are sincere, but he seems to be going in the other direction. You can't be so secretive that everyone wants to see Green Lantern instead.
June 7, 2011, 5:32 p.m. CST
Didn't have any excitement over Pirates, Hangover 2, or X-Men First Class. This is my first must-see of the summer. I want to be transported back to the late 70's.
June 8, 2011, 10:14 a.m. CST
by and thats the origin of that
Great movie!!! It will the "The Goonies" for any 10 year old who goes to see it. I can't wait for Spielberg's Special Edition where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies.
June 8, 2011, 6:19 p.m. CST
A second confirmation email was just sent listing 7 pm as the time "lineup begins". Long line of folks here at 6:20 pm; some of which have been here since 4:30pm
- First look at footage from Genndy Tartakovsky's POPEYE! -- 191 total posts 91 posts
- Rejoice! DEADPOOL: THE MOVIE comin' to you in February 2016!! -- 184 total posts 47 posts
- Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR gets pushed back nearly two months, and knocks ASSASSIN'S CREED off the calendar! -- 122 total posts 31 posts
- Guy Ritchie brings a mermaid onto land to play his Guinevere in KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE: KING ARTHUR! -- 84 total posts 28 posts
- Quint is surprisingly quite fond of Kevin Smith's TUSK! Fantastic Fest 2014! -- 23 total posts 23 posts
- Here’s A Video Of STAR WARS EPISODE VII’s Millennium Falcon, Highlighting One Little Detail… -- 432 total posts 21 posts
- Another New (And Rather Cool) INTERSTELLAR Poster!! -- 206 total posts 11 posts
- Muldoon Happily Gets Lost in THE MAZE RUNNER! -- 37 total posts 9 posts
- The Premiere Of TIM & ERIC’s BEDTIME STORIES!! New GARFUNKEL, HAVEN & LOSER!! HONORABLE, RUSH, WORST, NAKED, MARRIED & SATISFACTION Finales!! The Return Of BREAKING AMISH!! Terry Gilliam On COLBERT!! Carmen Lynch On CRAIG!! Julianna & Viggo On SETH!! Ali Wong @MIDNIGHT!! Herc’s Thursday TV Talkback!! -- 11 total posts 8 posts
- Copernicus is really pissed about the Stephen Hawking biopic THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING that he saw at TIFF -- 166 total posts 7 posts