Capone has details on a special Chicago advanced screening of SUPER 8 tomorrow (Wednesday) night!!!
Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.
So in case you hadn't noticed, a few of us here at Ain't It Cool News have been responding quite favorably to the new J.J. Abrams-written and -directed film SUPER 8, which is released this Friday. It really is a beautiful movie that certainly has a degree of science-fiction thrown in for fun. But what the film is really about is friendship and how a passion for movies is a binding force that often allows friendships to last a lifetime. And there's lens flare and stuff, but you knew that already...
For those who didn't hear, at Harry's SUPER 8 INSPIRATIONS event in Austin last week, they just went ahead and opened the proceedings with SUPER 8, even though it wasn't on the bill. Big surprise, right? Well, here's another surprise for those folks lucky enough to be in Chicago tomorrow: J.J. Abrams has personally arranged to have an early surprise screening of SUPER 8 in Chicago tomorrow, Wednesday, June 8 at 10:00pm at the AMC River East theaters. This will be a different kind of contest than I usually offer, so pay close attention.
Go to www.Super8Secret.com at 2:30pm CST (if the site isn't working, keep trying; there were some glitches early on). You'll need a password to RSVP for the screening, and that password is "MINT". I'm not sure if you have to pick a city or not, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out. RSVP'ing does not guarantee you seating, so you need to arrive at the theater very early on Wednesday to make sure you get in. They are overbooking this one considerably to make sure there's a full house, so if you can't make it early, don't take away seats from people who can. And whatever you do, don't email me for tickets.
All RSVP'd people will have your names on a list at the door, so don't just show up thinking you'll get in if you didn't RSVP; you won't. Make sure to bring a photo ID to the screening. And word on the street is that everyone who gets in will get free popcorn and soda. Yay snacks! I'll be on hand to introduce the film, which will be preceded by something kind of special. That's all I'm saying
Good luck everyone. And a big thanks to Paramount Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, and Bad Robot for letting us screen this movie in Chicago.
Follow Me On Twitter
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 7, 2011, 2:53 p.m. CST
by brett weinrich
your article says the showing is at 10 pm but my response email from the super8 site says 7pm. Any clarification will be appreciated.
June 7, 2011, 3:06 p.m. CST
Doors open at 7pm, the screening starts at 10pm.
June 7, 2011, 3:38 p.m. CST
by brett weinrich
many thanks. feel mildly oafish. as soon as i read your post i had a head-thwacking 'duh!' moment.
June 7, 2011, 3:46 p.m. CST
if you're early enough, you can register names for the people who will come with you. just reload the page, and give it another go.
June 7, 2011, 4:27 p.m. CST
by Pvt. Duke
Normally "secrecy" regarding a movie (like the Scream 4 actors being fed only selected pages to save them from spoiling the twist) is just pretentious Hollywood bullshit, and in the end nobody gives a fuck either way. I think Abrams' intentions are sincere, but he seems to be going in the other direction. You can't be so secretive that everyone wants to see Green Lantern instead.
June 7, 2011, 5:32 p.m. CST
Didn't have any excitement over Pirates, Hangover 2, or X-Men First Class. This is my first must-see of the summer. I want to be transported back to the late 70's.
June 8, 2011, 10:14 a.m. CST
by and thats the origin of that
Great movie!!! It will the "The Goonies" for any 10 year old who goes to see it. I can't wait for Spielberg's Special Edition where all the guns are replaced with walkie talkies.
June 8, 2011, 6:19 p.m. CST
A second confirmation email was just sent listing 7 pm as the time "lineup begins". Long line of folks here at 6:20 pm; some of which have been here since 4:30pm
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS, OUT OF THE FURNACE, FROZEN, NEBRASKA And The Latest WALKING DEAD And RETURNED, The First Big-Screen Wonder Woman and More!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 459 total posts 312 posts
- The Annual Official Fake BUTT-NUMB-A-THON 15 List!!! Plus other things like STANDBY news! -- 129 total posts 15 posts
- Disney can now make new Indiana Jones Movies!!! But what about Paramount? -- 380 total posts 11 posts
- Jerry Bruckheimer has returned to Paramount and Brett Ratner's BEVERLY HILLS COP IV is now on the way (again)! -- 183 total posts 7 posts
- SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Writers Developing New TERMINATOR TV Series!! -- 84 total posts 6 posts
- Big SPOILERS for X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and APOCALYPSE as new rumors suggest a familiar face will be playing the role of APOCALYPSE!! -- 357 total posts 6 posts
- Lars Von Trier's NYMPHOMANIAC Gets Two Release Dates! -- 57 total posts 5 posts
- Two More NYMPHOMANIAC Posters... -- 83 total posts 2 posts
- Capone feels burned by the out-of-control acting in OUT OF THE FURNACE!!! -- 61 total posts 2 posts
- Trailer for REASONABLE DOUBT, Starring Dominic Cooper and Samuel L. Jackson! -- 33 total posts 2 posts