Paramount Buys Rights To DC's THE MIGHTY!
Deadline is reporting that Paramount Pcitures has bought the rights to DC Comics' THE MIGHTY, a comic book series written by Peter J. Tomasi and Keith Champagne. The story is about a cop, Gabriel Cole, who works with Section Omega, the police force that is assigned to work with the Earth's one true superhero, Alpha-One. Cole was rescued by Alpha-One when he was a child, and now heads the force that works with him, stopping crimes and assisting Alpha-One. But Cole discovers that Alpha-One isn't what he appears to be, and that sets him on a course where a normal man must go up against a virtual god.
The film will be produced by Disruption Entertainment, and co-produced by JC Spink. I like the concept a lot - what if Superman was a villain, and only one man knew about it? Actually, that sounds a lot like how Lex Luthor sees himself. I haven't read the book, but I'll definitely pick it up now. I know the superhero film genre seems swamped right now, but if the films are quality and the material is original, I'll keep seeing these movies if they keep making them.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
June 2, 2011, 11:35 a.m. CST
June 2, 2011, 11:36 a.m. CST
People like the comic movies but don't feel like they can jump in to the books so late in the game. So start from scratch, then you can sell to them.
June 2, 2011, 11:37 a.m. CST
June 2, 2011, 11:38 a.m. CST
But why aren't WB doing this? Still Paramount was involved with Watchmen (for all the good it did them).
June 2, 2011, 11:48 a.m. CST
most of the movies based on graphic novels aren't even close to the source material... sometimes for the better, others for simple 'wtf.. why did they change that??" reasons.. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Cowboys & Aliens comic was TERRIBLE... hoping the movie fixes those problems.
June 2, 2011, 11:48 a.m. CST
Paramount must have offered a nice deal to Warners as they look for tentpole projects to replace the Marvel films.
June 2, 2011, 11:49 a.m. CST
I thought The Mighty was that movie with the little person and the giant oaf and Sharon Stone or some shit.
June 2, 2011, 11:51 a.m. CST
June 2, 2011, noon CST
All about the dollars chewtoy, Red made enough money to warrent a sequel so more money coming WB way
June 2, 2011, 12:05 p.m. CST
The creators apparently controlled the movie rights, rather than WB having first pass at them. As for Red, WB passed on the project, and then gave permission for it to be shopped to other studios. They then passed on co-producing the project, even after the cast was attached. They lost out on a bundle when it was a hit outside of their system (while they produced "Jonah Hex" instead.) Without any investment in it, and not owning the property outright, they make very little off of Red's success.
June 2, 2011, 12:06 p.m. CST
by the new transported man
The problem isn't comic movie fans perceiving a barrier to entry with comic books, it's that grown folk don't want to read comic books & kids don't want to read anything. Print media is shrinking everywhere. Rebooting DC or Marvel Ultimate or whatever jump-starts sales with kept fans but does little to bring new fans into comics. It's a downward trajectory for comics, not likely to change.
June 2, 2011, 12:17 p.m. CST
all of this is shit. every comic is essentially the same story wise so I can see why the studio simpletons are buying up all the options/rights on these books. Lame fuckwads.
June 2, 2011, 12:18 p.m. CST
...and there's still no review here on AICN? Poor show, Big H.
June 2, 2011, 2:03 p.m. CST
Besides, wasn't the greatest super-hero in the world an asshole back in "Mystery Men"?
June 2, 2011, 2:24 p.m. CST
You forgot their formula: Deadline exclusive+AICN "reporter" name+Wikipedia background info=AICN post. EVERY. F'N. TIME. This is an aggregator site now.
June 2, 2011, 3:23 p.m. CST
No review of the X-men movie by the day before release? How sad. Guess I'll go back to Dark Horizons for my geek news.
June 2, 2011, 3:39 p.m. CST
June 2, 2011, 3:39 p.m. CST
It was the same idea. (Superman is a secret asshole!)
June 2, 2011, 5:27 p.m. CST
by The Founder
June 2, 2011, 5:44 p.m. CST
Enjoyed it thoroughly. This could really go somewhere if handed to the right people.
June 2, 2011, 6:55 p.m. CST
to match. They'd really have to make it R rated to set it apart from everything else out there to this point. I hope Irredeemable gets fast tracked now because of this, but I fear the "heroes" of that title are just too laugh out loud ridiculous to put too much money towards it.
June 2, 2011, 7:12 p.m. CST
Nope, doesn't work for me.
June 2, 2011, 8:15 p.m. CST
Theres tons of comics that are exactly the same. Emissionary, Irredeemable, etc, etc.
June 2, 2011, 9:01 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
That movie SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.
June 3, 2011, 6:50 p.m. CST
by Tom Fremgen
As I've said many times, Green Lantern better be a hit (I hope it is), or WB wait another 20 years before making another movie that isn't Batman or Superman.
June 5, 2011, 5:55 p.m. CST
Really died. Alan Thicke. Still among the living. I don't get the humor of the whole "death hoax" thing.
June 6, 2011, 12:49 p.m. CST
The psychopathic superman story starts off good but the wrap up is very weak. I'd rather see Invincible where the main character's Superman like father turns out to be part of a race of evil conquerors.
- Harry shares Day 1 of SXSW which stars Jon Favreau's utterly delicious CHEF!!! -- 122 total posts 122 posts
- All 13 Season-Six Episodes Of CLONE WARS Land On Netflix!! Joan Jett On LETTERMAN!! Kenan Thompson On MEYERS!! TRAIN YOUR DRAGON On FX DOWNLOAD!! New HANNIBAL, FIVE-0, GRIMM, BLOODS, LAST MAN, NEIGHBORS, ELISTED, HOPE, BANSHEE, TREEHOUSE, GOLD & SMACKDOWN!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 84 total posts 50 posts
- Darker ZORRO Reboot Finds its Writer! -- 251 total posts 47 posts
- Learn What Happens Next On HBO’s GAME OF THRONES!! -- 120 total posts 44 posts
- Fox Renews For Next Season THE MINDY PROJECT, THE FOLLOWING, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE And NEW GIRL!! -- 50 total posts 33 posts
- Quint eats up Jon Favreau's CHEF, opening night flick of SXSW 2014! -- 27 total posts 27 posts
- Lena Dunham Hosts SNL!! Sagan COSMOS Marathon On NGC!! New UNIVERSE, OUTRAGEOUS ACTS OF SCIENCE & BLACK SAILS!! SWAMP PAWN, RAISING WHITLEY, SCORNED, COPS & CRAZY HEARTS Finales!! Hallmark’s A RING BY SPRING!! Lifetime’s A TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL!! Herc’s Saturday TV Talkback!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Chats Up BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER / ED WOOD Icon (And Hollywood Royalty) Juliet Landau!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 21 total posts 21 posts
- Karen Gillan has Night Terrors in this First OCULUS Clip! -- 19 total posts 19 posts
- Nordling Reviews THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL! -- 102 total posts 17 posts