UPDATED AICN EXCLUSIVE ART: Paul "Robogeek" Alvarado-Dykstra And Samantha Inoue-Harte To Produce Feature-Length Animated Film of Tad Williams' TAILCHASER'S SONG
I wish I was able to get off my other job so I could have attended Houston's Comicpalooza today. I'll be there all day tomorrow and Sunday, but apparently we got our first bit of news from the convention this afternoon.
Paul Alvarado-Dykstra is good people. He's been with AICN since the very beginning as Robogeek, and he's moved on to animation and production, having worked with Tim McCanlies (SECONDHAND LIONS, IRON GIANT) and Guillermo Del Toro. And now he's making the leap into animated feature films with an adaptation of Tad Williams' TAILCHASER'S SONG. Paul is producing TAILCHASER'S SONG in partnership with Samantha Inoue-Harte via Animetropolis, and the screenwriters are Bethany Rhoades and Chris Rydo.
To call TAILCHASER'S SONG "WATERSHIP DOWN with cats" is a bit reductive - TAILCHASER'S SONG is actually fairly epic in scope, and with Williams' involvement, this should be a strong film. The animation is still being shopped out, but the concept art will be done by Matt Rhodes, who has done much of the concept art for Bioware. So the film should have a unique look, going for both 2D and CG animation.
Here's some of Matt Rhodes' concept art for the project, an AICN Exclusive:
I will have more details tomorrow, including an interview with Alvarado-Dykstra and Williams. In the meantime, Compicpalooza will be on all day tomorrow and Sunday at Houston's George R. Brown Convention Center.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 27, 2011, 7:28 p.m. CST
No, really. I also see a lot of Secret of Kells in that artwork.
May 27, 2011, 7:54 p.m. CST
but then you see it and it looks like something fat nerd chicks would like. You know, the ones who are really, really into Tinkerbell?
May 27, 2011, 9:25 p.m. CST
by Larry Sellers
And the novel sounds interesting...this could be cool. But yeah, what grasscutter said regarding the concept art hahah.
May 27, 2011, 9:40 p.m. CST
the avengers movie of animated animals. come on, you know its leading to this
May 27, 2011, 9:41 p.m. CST
fat fingers fail
May 27, 2011, 10:56 p.m. CST
May 28, 2011, 11:23 a.m. CST
It is a bit garbage, imo, except maybe the cat. The rest of it looks slapped together willy-nilly from tree and leaf and water textures. Lighting isn't bad though. Adaptation overall has me interested. I don't remember much about the book, except I read it when I was fairly young and liked it. But then, I've always been a cat person.
May 31, 2011, 1:26 p.m. CST
- That rumor about Sony selling SPIDER-MAN? Don't you believe it for a second! -- 427 total posts 251 posts
- Holy Crossover!! Magneto’s Boy Quicksilver To Speed About In Whedon’s AVENGERS 2 And Singer’s X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?? -- 211 total posts 211 posts
- Papa Vinyard thinks that HANGOVER: PART III was a paycheck grab for a buncha people who are already rich!! -- 175 total posts 175 posts
- The METALLICA THROUGH THE NEVER Teaser! -- 184 total posts 118 posts
- New MAN OF STEEL trailer makes me happy that Superman has severe red eye!!! -- 788 total posts 116 posts
- Next on the Reboot assemblyline? TIMECOP!! -- 141 total posts 97 posts
- Sandler, Piss, Barf, And Hayek Grace The New GROWN UPS 2 Trailer!! -- 96 total posts 96 posts
- Green-Band and Red-Band trailers for the new Jason Sudeikis & Jennifer Aniston VACATION ripoff, WE'RE THE MILLERS are here!! -- 91 total posts 91 posts
- Seems Coppola Is Gearing Up For A New Italian-American Epic!? -- 86 total posts 86 posts
- We have some new details on the POLTERGEIST remake/reboot/sequel!! -- 207 total posts 57 posts