Oh, my little Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day. I hope when you’re grown their tongues will be slower to hurt.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
Since we featured Roddy McDowall in Fright Night yesterday I thought it would be appropriate to follow that up with a look back to his early career. As a child actor McDowall worked with the best in the business. Fritz Lang, Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Orson Welles… and, of course, John Ford.
It is his collaboration with John Ford that we look at today in a behind the scenes shot from How Green Was My Valley featuring Ford (seated left, with pipe) and young Roddy going over the script.
McDowall had a long career, was well-loved and a ferocious movie lover in his own right. Famously the FBI raided his house in the early ‘70s and took his 16mm and video collection. It’s absurd these days to think about that, when the studios now sell above 16mm quality home versions of their films, but back then McDowall’s collection was seen a threat to their copyright, even though many of the prints were bought from the studios themselves.
If the dude were around today I’d be champing at the bit to nab him for an AICN Legends interview. His legend, however, is documented in his work, not on some geek website.
So here’s the young lad conferring with one of the best directors cinema has ever seen. Click to embiggen!
If you have a behind the scenes shot you’d like to submit to this column, you can email me at email@example.com.
Tomorrow’s behind the scenes pic will launch a new BTS contest... and it values its neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 24, 2011, 7:25 p.m. CST
May 24, 2011, 7:27 p.m. CST
May 24, 2011, 8:11 p.m. CST
Count me in for this contest!
May 24, 2011, 9:03 p.m. CST
and a gayer man has ne'er seen the light of day. Seriously. There's a reason why the feds were raiding his house looking for films. Goddamned homophobes.
May 24, 2011, 9:22 p.m. CST
May 24, 2011, 9:57 p.m. CST
What a great pic - so cool to see Roddy in younger days. The guy was a real legend, a true movie star. Fantastic picture.
May 24, 2011, 10:25 p.m. CST
Toutes les marque <a href="http://www.tshirtspascher.com/tee-shirt-armani-c-1.html">Tee Shirt Armani</a>sont originales et directement de l usine. Toutes les Pas cher tee shirts sont 30-70% de remise et livraison gratuite. vous souhaite une bonne journée:)
May 24, 2011, 10:27 p.m. CST
May 24, 2011, 10:45 p.m. CST
One of my favorite Simpsons laughs ever. Legend of Hell House - Terrific Roddy movie. "How tall were you, Belsacoooo?!!"
May 24, 2011, 10:45 p.m. CST
The Clockwork Orange BD (which we should ALL own by now, $10 at Wal Mart) has an excellent interview feature where Roddy talks about his entire career while showing the filmmakers around his home.
May 24, 2011, 11:10 p.m. CST
I get it. They have the same last name. Funny.
May 25, 2011, 3:14 a.m. CST
No, Clockwork Orange was Rowdy Roddy Piper.
May 25, 2011, 4:09 a.m. CST
May 25, 2011, 7:17 a.m. CST
by Righteous Brother
that is all.
May 25, 2011, 8:20 a.m. CST
May 25, 2011, 10:53 a.m. CST
It was the pilot episode. Absolutely terrifying story where the picture on the wall would depict his dead father coming back from the grave as a zombie seeking revenge. Ossie Davis was great in it too.
May 25, 2011, 12:13 p.m. CST
May 25, 2011, 12:14 p.m. CST
in a live ation Alice in Wonderland in the early 80s.
May 25, 2011, 12:54 p.m. CST
SUCH a great movie. Robert Shaw was the best combination of actor and character EVER!!
May 25, 2011, 2:51 p.m. CST
Fright Night is one of my favorite films, along with Hell House, but Fright Night is special. I can't remember where I read it, But one thing about McDowall was that he threw these famous dinner parties and invited some of the biggest people in the industry, along with anyone he was friendly with. so you had this great mix of powerful actors, producers and such, along with personal assistants, effects artists and people who weren't even in showbuissness, all sitting at this one big assed table, eating incredible meals with Roddy McDowall at the head telling stories and laughing. I think it was William Ragsdale who told this great story about going to one, and feeling akward about having to ask Liz Taylor to pass the potatoes. I shall forever imagine McDowall in a peter vincent-esque smoking jacked while hosting these dinners, just because it would have been perfect
May 25, 2011, 11:34 p.m. CST
Classy guy by all accounts, and a member of the geek pantheon, particulary because of Apes. Rest his soul.
- Capone feels slightly in limbo about HEAVEN IS FOR REAL!!! -- 159 total posts 134 posts
- Capone desperately wants to pull the plug on TRANSCENDENCE!!! -- 122 total posts 78 posts
- Harry rambles fondly about Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO a real red meat Jungle Cannibalism kinda movie! -- 180 total posts 37 posts
- Does This X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST International Poster Get you X-Cited?? -- 556 total posts 33 posts
- Watch the Opening 3 Minutes of Joss Whedon's IN YOUR EYES! -- 176 total posts 19 posts
- Two Images From Michael Fassbender’s MACBETH Movie!! -- 104 total posts 14 posts
- ‘There Is Only One Hell!!’ Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Varys, Bran, Hodor, Reek And The Bastard Of Bolton Return For Tonight’s Big Second GAME OF THRONES Of 2014!! -- 355 total posts 8 posts
- So, what's Steven Spielberg's slate looking like these days? -- 191 total posts 7 posts
- Check Out Thomas Haden Church in this Trailer for WHITEWASH! -- 63 total posts 7 posts
- In Many Ways We Need Each Other!! Graham & Lecter Reform Their Crimefighting Team On HANNIBAL!! New WHOSE, FIVE-0, BLOODS, UNFORGETTABLE, DIXIE, GUNS, LAST & SMACKDOWN!! Return Of THE WRITERS’ ROOM!! HANGER 1 Finale!! Shatner On CRAIG!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 26 total posts 6 posts