L.A. Readers! Mr. Beaks Wants To Send You To The Reel Grit Six Shooter Movie Marathon (And You Really Want To Go)!
This Saturday, May 21st, the esteemed fellowship of the gonzo Reel Grit screening series - a weekly event for students and alumni of the American Film Institute and select friends - will celebrate the projection of their 100th movie. Thing is, they're on movie number ninety-four at the moment, so they're going to have to get through six films in one day to get there.
Enter the Reel Grit Six Shooter: a day-long marathon of awesome genre flicks (presented in conjunction with Badass Digest), all of which will be projected on 35mm at an undisclosed location. Each film has been selected by a successful AFI grad, each representing a different discipline. Here are the six industry professionals who will be on hand to talk about a film that has had a profound influence on them:
Producing – Stuart Cornfeld (Tropic Thunder, The Fly, The Elephant Man)
Directing – Robert Mandel (The X-Files, F/X, The Substitute, School Ties)
Screenwriting – Jacob Forman (All The Boys Love Mandy Lane)
Cinematography – Amy Vincent A.S.C (Hustle & Flow, Black Snake Moan)
Editing – Howard Smith (The Abyss, Point Break, Near Dark)
Production Design – Todd Cherniawsky (Splice, Avatar, Planet of the Apes)
The films they've selected are a surprise, but I'm told they've gone after some really fantastic stuff - some of which rarely gets screened. All I know is that everyone at Reel Grit in incredibly excited about watching 35mm of these movies, and since they show some amazingly random stuff there (e.g. Sergio Corbucci's DJANGO, Steven Kastrissios's THE HORSEMAN, Yoshihiro Nakamura's GOLDEN SLUMBER, Steven Hillard Stern's ROLLING VENGEANCE, and Michael Mann's THE JERICHO MILE), this means I'm incredibly excited.
And some of you will be joining me for this mind-melting day of cinema.
Because the Reel Grit folks know AICN readers are some of the most well-versed movie geeks around, they've set aside twenty tickets for me to give away as I see fit. Want in? Here's what you need to do: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Reel Grit 6 Shooter", and give me your ideal (and, most importantly, eclectic) program of six movies. The coolest lineup of films will earn you (and a guest, if you like) a trip to the marathon.
Deadline for entries is Thursday, Noon PST. I will contact all winners personally with the location and the start time. Good luck!
Thanks to Brian Udovich, Nick Robinson, John Lang, Devin Faraci and lots of other nifty people for putting this sensational event together.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 18, 2011, 11:53 a.m. CST
May 18, 2011, 2:10 p.m. CST
May 18, 2011, 4:50 p.m. CST
May 18, 2011, 5:18 p.m. CST
May 18, 2011, 6:14 p.m. CST
by Flames gotta Eat
Star Wars I-VI!! Best most random movies EVER!! Do I win?
May 19, 2011, 6:53 p.m. CST
Since this thread was practically DOA, might as well post my submission. 1) Producing - Remo Williams: The Adventure Continues 2) Directing - Ace In The Hole 3) Screenwriting - The Seven-Per-Cent Solution 4) Cinematography - The Naked Prey 5) Editing - Chinese Super Ninjas (aka Five Element Ninja) 6) Production Design - The Parallax View
May 20, 2011, 10:48 a.m. CST
Here I was, about to post my hypothetical list, and somebody else has beaten me to picking FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS. Fucking awesome flick. My others... Cesar Canevari's MATALO! (trippy, acid spaghetti western); Phil Karlson's 99 RIVER STREET (slam-bang film noir for people who think all b&w flicks are "boring and slow"); Emilio Miraglia's THE RED QUEEN KILLS SEVEN TIMES (top notch giallo); Jack Hill's THE BIG BIRD CAGE (greatest WIP flick ever made); ... and finally Jules Dassin's RIFIFI (best heist flick ever-bar none).
May 20, 2011, 1:34 p.m. CST
There was something about the tree ninja dismemberment that was awesomely cool. Plus, the film's multi-purpose weapons are second only to Buffy's Scythe (in the hands of Willow).
May 20, 2011, 2:38 p.m. CST
*Glad... but you already knew that.
- 3rd Official X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST trailer hits - and it is a big one!!! -- 373 total posts 363 posts
- ‘A Gift From The Clairvoyant!!’ Patton Oswalt Joins Joss Whedon’s AGENTS OF SHIELD!! Seinfeld On PIONEERS OF TELEVISION!! The Returns Of NEW GIRL, AWKWARD & WIFE SWAP!! The Premiere Of FARGO!! Plus New BOY, STORAGE, SCHUMER, PERSON, TOSH, NCIS, GLEE, FIRE, CONTAINER, MINDY, DUSK, ORIGINALS, SUPERNATURAL & VOICE!! TEEN MOM Finale Special!! DANCE MOMS 100!! HARDCORE PAWN Finale!! Nathan Fillion & Tatiana Maslany on CONAN!! Herc’s Tuesday TV Talkback!! -- 169 total posts 63 posts
- Matthew Vaughn to get SUPERIOR to stay in the Mark Millar business for Fox! -- 63 total posts 47 posts
- The Composer For That BATMAN / SUPERMAN Movie Is… -- 266 total posts 44 posts
- Everyone thinks Elizabeth Banks is a hooker in this red-band WALK OF SHAME trailer! -- 65 total posts 39 posts
- Jaden Smith will dress like a girl to avoid slavery in THE GOOD LORD BIRD! -- 87 total posts 35 posts
- THE SIGNAL and V/H/S co-director David Bruckner to direct the found footage FRIDAY THE 13TH reboot?! -- 87 total posts 28 posts
- Prestige Worldwide will reunite as Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Adam McKay will re-team on BORDER GUARDS! -- 42 total posts 20 posts
- 3rd week of April 2014's PICKS & PEEKS: Welles,Wilder,Svankmajer, Mann,Jeong, Sirk,Trier & more!!! -- 120 total posts 17 posts
- Stallone Talks EXPENDABLES Casting Approach!! Nicholson!?!? -- 17 total posts 17 posts