Magnet Releasing and Drafthouse Films get 26 up and coming horror directors for anthology film THE ABCs OF DEATH!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. This news is beautiful for anybody who attends and loves Fantastic Fest... sure, it's good news for people who just like genre movies, too, but it'll have a special importance for Fantastic Fest attendees because from the names of people involved in this new venture between Drafthouse Films, Timpson Films and Magnet Releasing it feels like all two-ish weeks of Fantastic Fest being balled up and put into one anthology.
Every one of the filmmakers involved so far have made an impact on the fest, it seems like. The ABCs of Death will have each filmmaker taking a letter of the alphabet and a word that they will have to construct a short film around. Oh, and their short film has to be about death... accidental, pre-planned and everything in-between.
Here's who is involved so far: Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun), Nacho Vigalondo (aka Fantastic Fest's mascot and maker of the great TimeCrimes), Ti West (House of the Devil), Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film), Angela Bettis (May herself), Ben Wheatley (The Kill List), Ernesto Diaz Espinoza (Kiltro, Mandrill), Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter), Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat), Bruno Forzani and Helene Cattet (Amer), Gadi Harel (Deadgirl), Thomas Malling (Norwegian Ninja), Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police), Simon Rumley (Red White & Blue), Tak Sakaguchi and Yuji Shimomura (Mutant Girls Squad), Marcel Sarmiento (Deadgirl), Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre), Andrew Traucki (Black Water), Jake West (Doghouse, Evil Aliens) and Adam Wingard (A Horrible Way To Die). Whew...
That's 25, with the 26th director being picked by an upcoming worldwide competition to find an unknown horror talent, according to Variety's Jeff Sneider who broke the news.
I'm very proud of those involved, many of them personal friends, and can't wait to see what kind of fucked up stuff they deliver.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 12, 2011, 10:46 p.m. CST
dude, killin it tonite
May 12, 2011, 11:20 p.m. CST
by Turd Furgeson
May 13, 2011, 2:31 a.m. CST
Ant Timpson is the man in NZ cult film circles. This is great news.
May 13, 2011, 11:16 a.m. CST
How does one enter the contest for the 26th spot?
May 13, 2011, 2:08 p.m. CST
I'm a huuuge sucker for anthology horror, and this sounds like a wonderful concept. There are some greatly talented genre filmmakers on that list. Can't wait to see some of them take the ball and run with it. Only problem is, I'll never make it to a Fantastic Fest. Are there any down-the-road plans of having a limited DVD release for this stuff? Cause I'd buy it in a second, I can assure you that.
May 13, 2011, 2:44 p.m. CST
...and the word is "gore."
May 13, 2011, 3:04 p.m. CST
HOBO WITH A FUCKIN SHOTGUUUUN!!! SO GLORY GORE !!!!!! JASON EISENER MUST WIIIIN FUCK YEAH!
May 13, 2011, 8:28 p.m. CST
Thoroughly enjoyed the 'pede
May 13, 2011, 9:50 p.m. CST
I was wondering where the contest was held or how to find it... Whats up no links...
- HERCULES ON THE RADIO!! Learn What Ain’t It Cool’s TV Critic Thinks Of Adam McKay’s ANCHORMAN 2 And Spike Jonze’s HER!! Plus The Return Of KNBC Movie Critic Sasha Perl-Raver!! Listen And Call In LIVE Saturday 10pm PT / Sunday 1am ET!! -- 233 total posts 11 posts
- Is There A Snowball's Chance In Hell A&E Will Cancel DUCK DYNASTY, Cable's Biggest Reality Series, Because One Of Its Stars Called Homosexuality A Sin?? -- 714 total posts 7 posts
- We have an exclusive test screening review of Seth MacFarlane's next film, A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST! -- 76 total posts 3 posts
- X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST has lost a mutant! -- 329 total posts 2 posts
- It is officially official as Marvel has confirmed that Paul Rudd will be the star of ANT-MAN! -- 165 total posts 1 post