The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day is alive and he’s dancing with the devil.
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here with today’s Behind the Scenes Pic!
So, it was brought to my attention that this weekend is Mother’s Day Weekend, not Mummy’s Day Weekend. But since I already have today’s pic locked and loaded I’m going to continue with the thread started yesterday.
Yesterday was Karloff on the set of The Mummy and today we have the great Lon Chaney Jr. in the tattered shroud, from 1944’s The Mummy’s Curse. Chaney Jr portrayed my personal favorite Universal movie monster in The Wolf Man, but he does a fine job in this one as well, a weird spin on the original, taking place rural Louisiana.
I’m not a huge fan of the movie, to be honest, but Chaney is great in it, giving the Mummy a very distinct personality. I’m always amazed when an actor can bring so much personality to a creature… be it Chaney (Sr and Jr), Karloff, Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Robert Englund, Christopher Lee or even Ray Harryhausen. Harryhausen might not be an actor, but he did ultimately give every one of his stop-motion creatures a performance, so I don’t know who better to get the credit.
Anyway, this will concluce the Mummy’s Day weekend celebrations. Hope you guys enjoyed ‘em!
Tomorrow’s Behind the Scenes Pic coulda been a contender!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
May 8, 2011, 10:41 p.m. CST
May 8, 2011, 10:42 p.m. CST
May 8, 2011, 10:42 p.m. CST
May 8, 2011, 10:58 p.m. CST
I like the idea, but fuck all this old shit. You gotta stop living in the past. Technicolor or bust muddafuckas!!!!!!
May 8, 2011, 11:14 p.m. CST
Quint, have you seen the one of Chaney outside the soundstage in full wrappings getting painted by Jack Pierce? The mask is off, and the how-did-I-get-myself-into-this-shit expression on Chaney's face is priceless. The guy HATED making those movies. But I love the vintage Mummy flicks myself, so thanks for the shots.
May 8, 2011, 11:17 p.m. CST
by Nasty In The Pasty
I say that to all my prey. I just like the sound of it... [BLAM]
May 8, 2011, 11:33 p.m. CST
I was half expecting to see something along the lines of "Mommy Dearest" or even "My Stepmother is an Alien". Not dissing the mummy stuff, but still not quite the same.
May 8, 2011, 11:59 p.m. CST
the delicious final installment of the horror-cereal quadilogry (count chockula, frankenberry, boo berry ..)
May 9, 2011, 12:11 a.m. CST
...dabbin' his face?
May 9, 2011, 12:53 a.m. CST
I was wondering who that dish was too. And, hornyforharry, did you forget Fruit Brute?
May 9, 2011, 12:56 a.m. CST
May 9, 2011, 2:53 a.m. CST
I believe that is Virginia Christine, who played Ananka in the movie. She became a voice actor on the Scooby-Doo cartoon series, but was best known as Mrs. Olsen in a series of commercials for Folger's Coffee.
May 9, 2011, 4:32 a.m. CST
Anyone else think it's weird to get news from another site then come to a site that doesn't have said news and complain that they aren't posting news you already know about?
May 9, 2011, 7:31 a.m. CST
Not that hard to fathom? I dont click on this site as often as I used to - eventually clicks tail off and so do advertisers. Then we all loose out as does the owners of this site.
May 9, 2011, 7:49 a.m. CST
May 9, 2011, 8:53 a.m. CST
May 9, 2011, 10:20 a.m. CST
by Jeff Myers
They 'developed' a pair of onscreen morons - low rent Abbott and Costello' types and bled out all the horror elements. One sequel ends with the Mummy 'dying' in one geographical location, and the next 'emerging' from a completely different place. An early 'wormhole' plot? Nope. Just CRAP writing. Avoid at all costs.
May 9, 2011, 5:49 p.m. CST
I've been coming to AICN since around 2000, 2001 and it has changed A LOT. Harry and co used to get scoops left and right, spy pics and sometimes even spy videos. Script reviews and the like. Now it's mostly TV news and Behind the Scenes pics of the day and hardly any updates at all. I root for this site because it has like minded people and I like Harry's excitement about geeky stuff. Like emeldahay said, readership will fall off if this site doesn't get back to what it used to do best.
- Who is in consideration to take the role of Snake in the ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK remake!?! -- 175 total posts 19 posts
- The Friday Docback Crawls ‘Into The Dalek’!! Reader Reaction For DOCTOR WHO S08E02 Is Here!! + HornOrSilk's 'Breaking Bubbles and Other Stories' Big Finish Audio Review, Clips, And More!! -- 89 total posts 3 posts
- DOCTOR WHO 8.2!! ‘Kelvington’ Reviews This Weekend’s Episode And Says He’s Not Sure He Enjoys ‘What The Show Is Becoming’!! -- 44 total posts 2 posts
- The Fellows Behind The Big-Screen JUMP STREET (And THE LEGO MOVIE And CLONE HIGH) Plan To Reboot Another Steven J. Cannell Series: THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO!! -- 38 total posts 1 post
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 187 total posts 1 post
- Soderbergh’s KNICK Marathon!! TNG Marathon!! ALMIGHTY JOHNSONS, AIRPLANE REPO, COWBOY CHEERLEADERS, ILLUSION & SMACKDOWN!! Kathy Griffin On KIMMEL!! Herc’s Friday TV Talkback!! -- 2 total posts 1 post
- Steve Carell Gives America Hope in the New Trailer for FOXCATCHER! -- 19 total posts 1 post
- Capone says AS ABOVE/SO BELOW uses a chilling location to terrifying effect!!! -- 27 total posts 1 post
- New Poster for OPEN WINDOWS! -- 108 total posts 1 post
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 283 total posts 1 post