Crime has shut up! Here are the winners of the big SUPER contest!
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here finally catching up with this contest, tied in with James Gunn’s SUPER. You may recall that I asked for fucked up ideas for superheroes presented in the style of the entrant’s choosing, be it webcomic, comic strip, comic book pages, comic book cover, etc.
Gunn’s Super is one fucked up, twisted flick, so the more messed up the better and if you could work in The Crimson Bolt, even better!
Now, we had some people turn in incredible looking indie comics, but they were clearly not made for this contest, so we had to disqualify ‘em. Sorry fellas!
How this worked is I went through the entries and picked my top 9 favorites and from those James Gunn picked the Grand Prize winning entry, which wins a bunch of autographed stuff (including a script and posters) as well as an IFC DVD pack and a personalized MP3 of Rainn Wilson leaving their outgoing voicemail message.
I’m going to show examples of the top three entries, starting with the grand prize winner, and list off the names of the final six runners up, who will also receive autographed fun stuff from the Super guys!
Here we go!
Mr. James Gunn picked Larissa Thomas’ X-Ray, which is an incredibly silly and very enjoyable bit of weirdness. This isn’t a massive file, so hopefully you guys can read the smaller print:
Now we get to some of the runners up. One of my favorites was from Nolan Lewis and his quite disgusting design for a superhero. I give you Feed-Us:
Alex Faber’s Renobman (you’ll get it when you read) is very balanced… it’s funny, it’s well done, it pushes the boundaries of taste… it’s the whole package (in a manner of speaking). Click the cover below and download the PDF.
Scott Beecher has an indie comic called PI Guy and he incorporated a team-up with The Crimson Bolt into his latest issue and so I think he deserves some props and the final of the three runner up prizes, which includes autographed script, poster and the IFC DVD package. Click the cover to download the PDF!
The following five entrants will each receive the DVD package an autographed poster: Scott Sullivan for Spider-Man-Man (a hero who was bitten by a radioactive Spider-Man had the ability to produce mini-Spider-Men from his wrists), Julienne Dadivas for her cute Vita Man C, Mike Carey for his crude, but fucked up murderous Q-tip Swabbie, Geniesa Tay for her Nekidity (the name should give you an impression of where this one went) and Ben Robins for The Tainted Seed & Kid Chloroform, which was hands down the most fucked up duo entered, but suffered a bit artistically.
Thanks to all who entered and thanks to James Gunn for taking the time to look over the top picks and, lastly, a big thanks to IFC for putting up so many cool prizes!
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
April 23, 2011, 4:48 a.m. CST
April 23, 2011, 4:49 a.m. CST
April 23, 2011, 7:02 a.m. CST
I applaud the individual behind that. It looks like it was edited in Paint and it still placed. I can picture all the people who busted their ass in Photoshop weeping when they see that.
April 23, 2011, 7:31 a.m. CST
a complete re-re. Also, define "Indie", because me and about 10 people are trying to figure this one out. Well, at least I am not the only one who thought the end results = Shit contest for a shit movie! Cheers
April 23, 2011, 8:51 a.m. CST
Now that would be an epic comic.
April 23, 2011, 9:27 a.m. CST
by wattos new hat
April 23, 2011, 12:32 p.m. CST
by Bradford Richardson
Truly out-there ideas for the Winners! Love 'em!
April 23, 2011, 5:23 p.m. CST
No two ways about it.
April 23, 2011, 9:21 p.m. CST
'Cause I'm buying that shit for sure.
April 23, 2011, 11:25 p.m. CST
Link for that? Sounds intriguing!
April 24, 2011, 12:07 a.m. CST
..it´s hilarious! Low key and way more down to earth than Kick-Ass. Loving it!
April 24, 2011, 12:11 a.m. CST
Ellen Page is f@cking genius! LMAO!!
April 24, 2011, 12:43 a.m. CST
Finished it. This is the kind of movie that needs support. Will buy the Blu once it´s available over here. I even shed a tear or two, LOL. Amazing little film. Great performances. Hey, any movie that makes me post 3 times in a row has to be good!
April 27, 2011, 2:32 a.m. CST
I like, I like. The winner deserved it. PI Guy is fun too.
April 27, 2011, 8:29 a.m. CST
or for Mel Gibson's cameo as Captain Cut in line. Nor for his epic battle against the Inner Monologue Samurai. Le Sigh....
April 27, 2011, 8:32 a.m. CST
Feed-Us was by far the best. If there had been an actual strip then I think it would have won
- First Trailer for EDGE OF TOMORROW, Starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt! -- 292 total posts 36 posts
- I'd watch Simon Pegg and Monty Python in ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING! -- 71 total posts 25 posts
- Our First Sense Of Uni's FAST AND THE FURIOUS 7 Strategy?? -- 142 total posts 16 posts
- THE PURGE 2 to be headed up by Frank Grillo! -- 44 total posts 16 posts
- DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES Teaser Posters Portend The Arrival Of Next Week's Trailer!! -- 150 total posts 14 posts
- A Poster For The Badass Looking GODZILLA!! -- 161 total posts 14 posts
- Sony has hired a writer for BAD BOYS 3, plus updates on the MEN IN BLACK and GHOSTBUSTERS franchises!! -- 302 total posts 13 posts
- Is Jason Clarke Our New John Connor? -- 205 total posts 12 posts
- Samuel L. Jackson in Talks for David Yates' TARZAN! -- 106 total posts 11 posts
- Butters-centric SOUTH PARK Season Finale!! Final Wednesday SURVIVOR!! The Final CSI, MINDS, ARROW & TOMORROW PEOPLE Of 2013!! New MOB, MODERN, MIDDLE, NASHVILLE, SING OFF, BURNING LOVE, GIRL CODE, AHS, X, SOUP, PICKERS!! Whitford On KIMMEL!! Cumberbatch & Takei On CONAN!! Herc’s Wednesday TV Talkback!! -- 38 total posts 8 posts