Annette Kellerman's BAG OF HAMMERS review
Every year there's that festival film that just feels like a "festival
film." It always starts off with a zany premise, zingy dialogue
between overly witty characters, and some quirky indie rock in the
background. Inevitably, the subject matter then turns to something more
serious, and the main characters work through the drama to find their
Sometimes the formula works wonders (I'm talking to you Duplass
brothers!), however more often than not, this type of movie just falls
a bit shy of feeling like a "real" movie. I really wish that i could
report that BAG OF HAMMERS defies the pitfalls of the indie dramedy
but I'm afraid for me it just doesn't.
The zany premise of BAG OF HAMMERS begins as a pair of best friend
scam artists pull off their latest con by posing as valets at a
cemetery, then heisting the cars from the bereaved. Hilarious, right?
Right. The happy-go-lucky duo plug away at their carefree life of
crime with no inkling of a conscience until a young boy and his
neglectful mom move into the house in front of the garage apartment
they share. Enter obligatory drama, ridiculous plot turn, and even
more ridiculously unrealistic resolve.
Now, I'm all about suspending disbelief and just accepting the terms
of a unique story, but sometimes it just doesn't work. In order for
crazy plot devices to really gel, a film must exist in its own
universe, and unfortunately BAG OF HAMMERS just fails to create a
world where such inane antics will fly.
All was not lost as the film did have some redeeming qualities
including stellar performances by Jason Ritter, co writer/star Jake
Sandvig, as well as a captivating performance by young Chandler
Director Brian Crano manages to pull a few great tricks from his
sleeve which certainly save the film from total unwatchable status,
but sadly these few bright moments can't save the film.
Well, I'll be back again soon with more coverage from SXSW.
Readers Talkbackcomments powered by Disqus
+ Expand All
March 14, 2011, 9:41 a.m. CST
Your drawing makes my pants tight.
March 14, 2011, 9:41 a.m. CST
March 14, 2011, 9:50 a.m. CST
This is what I call "Strike"...: http://tinyurl.com/64mxtpm Good Luck!
March 14, 2011, 10:14 a.m. CST
your toon has camel toe!
March 14, 2011, 1:29 p.m. CST
March 14, 2011, 1:58 p.m. CST
... Of a CHOPPAH Film ... 'BAG OF DICKS: THE MOTION PICTURE' Coming soon to a cornhole near you ... "
March 14, 2011, 3:30 p.m. CST
I only aim to entertain.
March 14, 2011, 8:38 p.m. CST
What's next? You guys start talking about sequels being overdone? This years little miss sunshine.
March 14, 2011, 8:51 p.m. CST
Is that really a cameltoe? It looked more like the crease between her thigh and business area to me. Could be a moose knuckle though, who am I to judge?
March 14, 2011, 8:53 p.m. CST
Which part is faux? Is it faux-indie? or is it Faux indie-dramas? It seems to me as though you're saying this is not an authentic indie drama. I don't care either way, I'm just looking for a little clarification.
- Co-Director Anthony Russo Is Teasing, What, Exactly, Regarding CAPTAIN AMERICA 3?? -- 195 total posts 195 posts
- A biker gang, Gipsy Danger, and now Charlie Hunnam will command the KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND RABLE as King Arthur! -- 223 total posts 171 posts
- Is this what Doctor Doom looks like in Josh Trank's FANTASTIC FOUR?! -- 145 total posts 145 posts
- Martin Scorsese May Make A Film About One Of America's Greatest Bands! Gabba Gabba Hey! -- 217 total posts 110 posts
- Will there be a change of roster in Avengers: Age of Ultron and if so, who's gonna be on it? -- 108 total posts 108 posts
- A Few Promo Images From EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS Bring Ridleyish Spectacle!! -- 102 total posts 102 posts
- Jeff Bridges’ Long Delayed SEVENTH SON Gets A Trailer, A Poster, And February!! -- 77 total posts 77 posts
- Scream and Shout: Quint is inspired by Guardians of the Galaxy to revisit BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980)! -- 74 total posts 74 posts
- Warner Bros. is moving quickly on getting the Looney Tunes characters and ACME back on the big screen! -- 112 total posts 59 posts
- Here’s BBC’s Synopsis Of DOCTOR WHO S08E03: “Robots of Sherwood’ !! -- 53 total posts 53 posts